Harry’s Garage

Simon

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Simon »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:41 pm Based on the fact the Mr M has just driven past his and our local in a DBX, silver, LHD, I’d say a DBX review is incoming. Looking forward to that one. Sounded bloody gorgeous and looks just as good.
Which local is that Mark? A few years ago Jobbo and I met up in his 'local' too, but can't remember the name of it for toffee.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Little place near Burford. Sent you a PM ;)
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Little town beginning with S, right? It’s not hard to work out...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:41 pm Based on the fact the Mr M has just driven past his and our local in a DBX, silver, LHD, I’d say a DBX review is incoming. Looking forward to that one. Sounded bloody gorgeous and looks just as good.
Which local is that Mark? A few years ago Jobbo and I met up in his 'local' too, but can't remember the name of it for toffee.
September 2013; how time flies. I live closer to it now and you live much further away.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:16 am
September 2013; how time flies. I live closer to it now and you live much further away.
I’d be up for a pint in the beer garden if you were ever over this way over the summer.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Quite. You had the C350 CDi at the time. And correct me if I'm wrong but have had 4 cars since? 540, allroad, Volvo, CLS...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Quite. You had the C350 CDi at the time. And correct me if I'm wrong but have had 4 cars since? 540, allroad, Volvo, CLS...
Ignoring the numerous Tacumas, I’ve had those four (535i Touring, not 540i) plus a Grand Vitara and a Jimny.

Mark, it’s probably a good venue for a pub meet at some point, definitely 😃
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Video on the M5 Comp:

£115k!!!! The lack of flared wheel arches is rather disappointing and overall, it doesn't look special enough to warranty the £100k+ price tag. I think I would rather have the 540i. My parent's next door neighbour has one and it's plenty quick enough for less than half the price.
M235i
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

He mentions and drives it in his most recent Harry's Farm video. It's embargoed until August 10th.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Harry going on about Roundup again. As bad the Project 8
Real-life Females
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 pm Video on the M5 Comp:

£115k!!!! The lack of flared wheel arches is rather disappointing and overall, it doesn't look special enough to warranty the £100k+ price tag. I think I would rather have the 540i. My parent's next door neighbour has one and it's plenty quick enough for less than half the price.
The front wings are different to the normal G30 because they don't have the crap fake lower vent. The quoted width does appear to be larger too. Having said that, the E39 and E34 M5s didn't have different bodywork to the standard cars, and the E60 and F10 M5s only had the front wing vents to distinguish their main bodywork.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

The review of the M5 got me nodding in agreement about all the tech Its too much. As I age I want simple things for my simple mind, plus less bits to break / fix.
mik

Post by mik »

Real shame about that M5. Grabby breaks you can adjust to, but numb steering is a big dissapointment. Otherwise I find it massively lustworthy as a lottery-win-daily that would not be your proper driving car.

Although it does appear to offer a very efficient way to inadvertently lose your licence. :?

Great vid and review again. 8-) Harry needs to learn the difference between size and thickness though. :oops:
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 am Real shame about that M5. Grabby breaks you can adjust to, but numb steering is a big dissapointment. Otherwise I find it massively lustworthy as a lottery-win-daily that would not be your proper driving car.

Although it does appear to offer a very efficient way to inadvertently lose your licence. :?

Great vid and review again. 8-) Harry needs to learn the difference between size and thickness though. :oops:
I wondered if he was trying to avoid using the word “girth” hence stumbling past “thickness”
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Don’t even need to watch Harry’s video to know that the M5 will be crap and the Project 8 will be the second coming of Jesus.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Don’t even need to read your post to know it will be inane. :roll:

I thought this one was rather well balanced.

Forgot to mention - I had never heard of the term “Hot-V” before.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 pm Video on the M5 Comp:

I felt the same about the previous version also - I did about 2,500 miles in one that belonged to my former business partner. It never felt more special than a mid range model, and the endless configuration options left you feeling that you needed to make changes all of the time.
Stepping back into my XFR that I had at the time made it feel as focused as a Boxster.
The E60 was the last one to feel like a sports saloon.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

In my head (having never driven either), I think I've made the switch from M5 to RS6 if I was in the market. :?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:36 pm Forgot to mention - I had never heard of the term “Hot-V” before.
It's invariably mentioned when talking about the Merc 4.0 V8 twin turbo which is in all the AMGs. Surprised you haven't heard it, though - it's almost impossible to read a review without it being mentioned, I think.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Also mentioned often in f1 as was a key reason the Merc hybrid power unit was so superior in the early days.