Harry’s Garage

V8Granite

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by V8Granite »

RobYob wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:07 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:20 pm Impact wrenches are horrible things which are tools of destruction in the hands of simpmetons.

A decent torque wrench is easy to do 600nm with, it’s a faff though as you would normally have a short extension and it’s something large to keep in the car.

Dave!
You sir, need a rest from the internet 8-)

One of these I do like how it's suitable for light commercial vehicles, and Porsche centrelocks.
As someone who regularly uses multipliers, I look forward to the damaged rims and fingers of those who don’t know what they are doing. There is still 600nm of energy in there, nothing safer than a regular torque wrench.

Normal wheel bolts please, titanium if it keeps them light.

It’s the go faster stripes of the Porsche extras catalogue.

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Interesting that the Turbo is significantly quieter. If it's reading 2dB on the meter but noticeably quieter that means a fair bit has come out of the tyre noise. Possibly it's added sound pack but could also be differently coded and more expensive tyres or suspension bush retune.

On the E-Mini with the extra 12V battery. I believe the separate 12V system runs the 400v safety cutoffs. I those 400V orange cables have a layer of 12v mesh in the casing which if damaged triggers the battery safety relays to open.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It was about 6db quieter on the meter; Harry just said in the commentary that a 2db difference was quite noticeable. Seems a lot for basically the same shell.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:53 pm It was about 6db quieter on the meter; Harry just said in the commentary that a 2db difference was quite noticeable. Seems a lot for basically the same shell.
Oops wasn't paying close enough attention. I DO like YouTube's overlay picture feature while mining space rocks. 8-)

Yeah 6dB is huge. The black magicians in tyre development can do that with enough time (and money). Just like they can utterly f*ck it up. Which maybe is what happened on the base car.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 pm Yes, because race car; but they’re a stupid impractical thing for road use.
JIC
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Quite a nice car this week 😂
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The design is quite fussy and the super quick steering must get tiresome and scary. But I still love the V12 Ferraris. £90k of options :shock:, the price of some of them is just stoopid e.g. £2400 for Apple CarPlay. Always admire Mrs. M doing some of the camera work. Not sure how my wife would react if I told her to stand behind a barrier to take some shots for me :lol: .
M235i
Barry

Post by Barry »

I love the front engined Fezzas but they are just plain taking the piss with those option prices, flat out rip off. I get the prospective owners don't care bla bla, but fk me.

I don't even think it sounds that nice.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Prices are silly but I think that's the best looking and sounding Fezza of modern times. Classic in the making given everything here on out is likely to be hybrid.

It's one of the very few modern cars I'd go and stick my money down on (if I had quarter of a mill burning a hole in my pocket :lol: )
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Whoever specced that one should be fired as it looked shit :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s a good sound but nothing amazing I thought.

That option list would send me straight to a Lamborghini dealers.

Dave!
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

I hate black wheels, especially gloss black wheels on every car I’ve ever seen them on. This one particularly so
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Surprised by how many of 812's you see about.

Not exactly value for money
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looks shit, give me a 599 any day.
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

They could paint the whole car with polka dots and a camo wrap and I'd still have it for that engine. I'm going to assume that Barry was drunk when he said he didn't like the noise.

Also the flashy lights steering wheel is pure theatre and I love it.
mik

Post by mik »

revsRus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:54 am I hate black wheels, especially gloss black wheels on every car I’ve ever seen them on. This one particularly so
:cry:
mik

Post by mik »

I’m not loving this either. And the sound is occasionally good, yet mostly sounds synthesised somehow.

The black wheels do it no favours.

An who the fuck is in charge of naming at Ferrari now? The cleaner?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Black wheels are fine on white cars ;) but those ones don't suit the 812.
M235i
Barry

Post by Barry »

speedingfine wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:43 am They could paint the whole car with polka dots and a camo wrap and I'd still have it for that engine. I'm going to assume that Barry was drunk when he said he didn't like the noise.
It doesn't have that lovely hollow howl older engines had, it's still a far more appealing noise than modern FI stuff for sure. It just sounds a little artificial.

And as GG said, when my lottery comes up that's the kind of car I'd be getting. I like the TdF actually.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I've always had more of a thing for the V12s. The idea of a long journey in a mildly mental GT appeals to me more than screaming round a track in one of the V8s.

It'd be nice to think a 599 would be in budget at some pont.