Harry’s Garage

Holley

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Holley »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:27 am
simon_g wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 am
Everyone bangs on about the variability of the range guess-o-meter, but have you ever had an accurate one on a petrol or diesel car? I haven't!
Predicted range on a fossil car is usually determined by how much fuel it has and how you've been driving over the last howevermany miles. Electric seem to base the range on how much you should be able to do in ideal conditions, which don't exist in the real world so they all do less than they say they will.

In our petrol cars I can often beat the range on a gentle run, or do 'free' miles, like have 200 miles showing near the start of a journey, cover 30 miles and still have 190 showing.

There needs to be some adjustment to people's perception of what gentle or economical driving is. Most ic cars will be pretty good when cruising along at 70, but terrible around town. Thinking about the differences between the power sources the fact that different conditions will suit the different types should be pretty obvious, but until its pointed out most people probably won't even think about it.
I have beat the i3's estimated milage several times - although I live in the sticks where theres a lot of regen to be gained. There's an art to brake regen which I find oddly satisfying.
mik

Post by mik »

Predicted range on a fossil car is usually determined by how much fuel it has and how you've been driving over the last howevermany miles.
Nononono, don’t open that box again :shock:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm
Predicted range on a fossil car is usually determined by how much fuel it has and how you've been driving over the last howevermany miles.
Nononono, don’t open that box again :shock:
A fuel gauge is like mole-brown tank tracks...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Finally watched the i-pace video. Wow. What a ballache. :shock:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 am Finally watched the i-pace video. Wow. What a ballache. :shock:
This is why i've bought another ICE car, i like the idea of owning a Tesla 3 Performance and financially it would be a no brainer but i would really need to plan my route in mid/west wales and even then hope the chargers work. My colleague has ran one since September last year and i've seen him bring his wifes Santa Fe to work more in the last 6 months than i have in the previous 5 years.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I haven’t watched the video, just skipped through to get the gist of it but looks like he struggled finding a charging point which worked. It was always crap like that, even with the i3 about 25% of the chargers didn’t exist, 25% of them didn’t work, the other 25% were in use or blocked by a car leaving you having to go miles to find one. At the time most of the ones in London were Source which charged by the minute and were only 7.4kw. Fine with the i3 which had a measly battery but in reality you never got 7.4kw, got about 5kw on a good day as there just wasn’t enough power but you’re still charged the regular rate per minute so it worked out cheaper to use the range extender as the electricity ended up being so overpriced.

Supercharging network is a blessing in comparison as you can view all the chargers and their status through the car and the network isn’t oversaturated yet but I imagine it will be jammed up in a few years. I think some of the major lease companies give free Polar charging so you always see those packed in London whereas a few years ago no one ever used them.

The home chargers funded by the government grant are shite too. My dad has been complaining that the power network keeps limiting the power recently as it sometimes charges at only 2kw. This wasn’t a problem in the early days but it’s getting more frequent now to the point that getting another non Olev charger fitted.
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I've never plugged the Panamera into a public charging point, not once in nearly 2.5 years. It's all I can be arsed to do to plug it in at home when the weather is shit. Last thing I want to do is fumble with fucking cables at Michael Wood services when we're stopping for the inevitable wifey comfort-n-coffee break.

Even a full charge at 80-odd wouldn't last more than a handful of miles. Utterly pointless, at least in a PHEV like mine, used the way mine is (mostly commuting, then long-distance weekend trips away).

ETA - And now that I think of it, I've never seen any of those charging points at Michael Wood being occupied.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm I've never plugged the Panamera into a public charging point, not once in nearly 2.5 years. It's all I can be arsed to do to plug it in at home when the weather is shit. Last thing I want to do is fumble with fucking cables at Michael Wood services when we're stopping for the inevitable wifey comfort-n-coffee break.

Even a full charge at 80-odd wouldn't last more than a handful of miles. Utterly pointless, at least in a PHEV like mine, used the way mine is (mostly commuting, then long-distance weekend trips away).

ETA - And now that I think of it, I've never seen any of those charging points at Michael Wood being occupied.
Why would you buy a Panamera PHEV then over a Petrol or Diesel equivalent. Given the post above I'm genuinely curious ?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm I've never plugged the Panamera into a public charging point, not once in nearly 2.5 years. It's all I can be arsed to do to plug it in at home when the weather is shit. Last thing I want to do is fumble with fucking cables at Michael Wood services when we're stopping for the inevitable wifey comfort-n-coffee break.

Why would you buy a Panamera PHEV then over a Petrol or Diesel equivalent. Given the post above I'm genuinely curious ?
I plugged it in at home each night for about 18 months. Then just stopped bothering. As, I suspect, do most owners. But doing longer trips, we're generally in-and-out of the services in about 45 mins. Older PHEVs like mine (14 plate) cannot take on much juice in that time from what I understand. And even if they did, within about 7 miles the battery is dead anyway. Just seems pointless, at least at service stations and for me.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its almost like the sole purpose of mild hybrids is to game the NEDC testing regime - personally, I'm shocked.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

In hindsight would you have gone for a traditional ICE ?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

GG. wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:04 pm Its almost like the sole purpose of mild hybrids is to game the NEDC testing regime - personally, I'm shocked.
400V safety lesson, don't lick the orange bits.
GG.

Post by GG. »

:lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 pm In hindsight would you have gone for a traditional ICE ?
Yes. Because most of the time, at 27mpg, I’m lugging around 300kgs of batteries for no real benefit.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:53 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 pm In hindsight would you have gone for a traditional ICE ?
Yes. Because most of the time, at 27mpg, I’m lugging around 300kgs of batteries for no real benefit.
300kg of batteries for 7 miles of range can’t be right?
:shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

In winter, heated seats going, lights on all time, rear demister going to also keep the mirrors clear (Porsche are crap at this) it’s absolutely spot on. They say the future is electric.

It really isn’t.
mik

Post by mik »

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:34 pm
Cheers Mik, been looking forward to seeing this!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

'Bubble' is my main takeaway from this video. And that the Esprit is a boss GT 😎
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Loved that video !

Exactly what cars should be about, big distances seeing interesting things while enjoying every aspect of the drive.

Dave!