Harry’s Garage

ZedLeg

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by ZedLeg »

Marv wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 am Think the pic of the tyre is marked as made in 2009, I don’t want to get Paul Walkerowned so I’m out.
Think Harry said that one is on Supers Sports, and they weren't introduced to the market by Michelin until 2011.
He’s talking about the one in Maurice’s ad. It looks like it’s still on it’s original P Zeros.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm really not sure on them to be honest. From some angles they look great, from others they look a bit dated without being old enough to be cool again.

I think the roof looks awkward when on, and I don't like cars without a roof, the spoiler looks rubbish when extended on its thick vertical towers, and I lolled at the blanket randomly chucked in the frunk, then again don't most porsches just have random flaps of carpet in there like some halfarsed kitcar?

I don't know, there's just something about them which leaves me a little cold 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I never liked them when they were new but like them now. That said I never liked the 918 either but I’m coming around to them.
It might just be a Porsche thing. They all suck till they’re about 10 years old then they’re great :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Marv

Post by Marv »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 am Think the pic of the tyre is marked as made in 2009, I don’t want to get Paul Walkerowned so I’m out.
Think Harry said that one is on Supers Sports, and they weren't introduced to the market by Michelin until 2011.
He’s talking about the one in Maurice’s ad. It looks like it’s still on it’s original P Zeros.
Ahh, Sales is being a obtuse troll as usual then 😂
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:14 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Ahh, Sales is being a obtuse troll as usual then 😂
:D A touch harsh.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t know what I did wrong 🤷‍♂️
Marv

Post by Marv »

Maybe I read too much into your comment then 🤷🏽‍♂️
Oui, je suis un motard.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm I'm really not sure on them to be honest. From some angles they look great, from others they look a bit dated without being old enough to be cool again.

I think the roof looks awkward when on, and I don't like cars without a roof, the spoiler looks rubbish when extended on its thick vertical towers, and I lolled at the blanket randomly chucked in the frunk, then again don't most porsches just have random flaps of carpet in there like some halfarsed kitcar?

I don't know, there's just something about them which leaves me a little cold 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yep, one would never have featured in my lottery win garage. Just look odd to me.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm I'm really not sure on them to be honest. From some angles they look great, from others they look a bit dated without being old enough to be cool again.

Yep, one would never have featured in my lottery win garage. Just look odd to me.
whilst I kind of agree on most of the aesthetics points, none of them actually bother me in the slightest because of the sound/delivery/throttle response of that engine. 😎

It’s like the Lexus LFA, I don’t like the looks much, but the engine is bonkers.

I’m annoyingly appreciating now just how important a characterful engine is to a car...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 pm
I’m annoyingly appreciating now just how important a characterful engine is to a car...
Its everything :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Another good one today - jag I pace, though it’s more about living with electric cars in general. Very interesting to hear about the Various Different networks and standards. I thought they’d worked that out already.

https://youtu.be/CEyfCcAbtKU
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah, a good watch that!

It's interesting because sometimes Harry shows glimpses that he's a bit of a dinosaur, especially on Twitter. Very revealing how the range suffers on the motorway though. Also watch CarWow's electric car video as they test the range of just about all the 'proper' electric cars to see which has the most.

I think on regenerative breaking the EQC does it the best. It uses the normal steering wheel paddles to increase or decrease the amount of regen that the car has. Much more natural than having it buried as a setting in the infotainment somewhere.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The range being affected by conditions didn’t surprise or bother me in the slightest, that’s never been a secret.

The fact that everyone uses different standards for the charging station and I’d couldn’t just pull up to any and charge quickly is a complete deal breaker.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Harry was a bit lucky to get back home. I wonder why the predicted range on full charge was so much lower next morning?

Charge using Economy 7 (about 8p/unit on my Bulb tariff) and it gets even cheaper to fuel. Plus 0% benefit in kind as a company car from 1 April this year (1% next year, 2% the year after) makes a purely electric vehicle economically attractive even if you do a lot of motorway miles. Provided it’s less than 200 per day...
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

There pretty much is a charging standard now - everything has type 2 for home/slower charging, and CCS for rapid charging except for Nissan that keeps on with Chademo. But because the Leaf was the first proper volume EV lots of rapid chargers were set up for them, likewise fast AC for the earlier Zoes. Ionity (the super fast charging network by the consortium of manufacturers) is only CCS.

New chargers need to take contactless card payment, but there's a long tail of older existing ones to retrofit. I know Polar have said they'll have all theirs done by the summer, new ones like the ones Harry stopped by in Hammersmith are already. It was all full with a queue because it's on an intro free vend at the moment - if they were giving petrol away there'd be a queue a mile long. Some like Instavolt have always taken contactless.

Everyone bangs on about the variability of the range guess-o-meter, but have you ever had an accurate one on a petrol or diesel car? I haven't!

fwiw, I did 228 miles on Friday in a car with about a third of the battery size of an iPace. Three rapid charges, no issues at all.
Last edited by simon_g on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

On the model 3 you lose 30 miles of range if the battery is cold, pre-conditioning for supercharging uses up a further 20 miles. That’s why you want to use the schedule function to select your departure time so it finishes charging just before you leave with a hot battery. After that the range is accurate to within 1% if driving the speed limit.
One shit thing is that the supercharger network is currently on 60kw. :lol:
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Oh, and I bloody love that optional textile interior in the iPace - when I did the Jaguar event the guy in the car with it was very sniffy about it but I thought it was excellent. Way better than the pleather stuff that everyone sticks in their "premium" cars now.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

simon_g wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 am
Everyone bangs on about the variability of the range guess-o-meter, but have you ever had an accurate one on a petrol or diesel car? I haven't!

fwiw, I did 228 miles on Friday in a car with about a third of the battery size of an iPace. Three rapid charges, no issues at all.
Our ML has a possible range of 500 miles, we average about 420 in regular use, the worst we saw on a tank was 350.

The Defender does between 350 and 400 to a tank. It’s never been less than 300 even after off road driving days, towing 3 tons etc.

The TT averages 350, never less than 300.

The 500e averages 500/550km. The worst ever was 300km which was averaging 100mph and flooring it whenever possible.

The range difference on electric cars is far more variable on every test I’ve seen compared to modern petrol cars. Modern diesels seem to give a vastly inflated range compared to petrol.

The Model X can’t even manage 100 miles when towing, which would mean an equivalent petrol/diesel vehicle would have to do half its quoted mileage which I’ve yet to experience.

As someone who drives everywhere as I don’t like the expense or hassle of public transport then an electric car is a long way from being suitable. As a second car for 50% of our mileage though, which can be charged at home it would be excellent and I have no practical reasons a petrol would be better.

With regards to noise though, it’s large tyres causing noise which I find the biggest source of noise in our town, especially in the rain.

It’s not there yet but in 10 years I can see most of my issues with them being solved.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

simon_g wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 am
Predicted range on a fossil car is usually determined by how much fuel it has and how you've been driving over the last howevermany miles. Electric seem to base the range on how much you should be able to do in ideal conditions, which don't exist in the real world so they all do less than they say they will.

In our petrol cars I can often beat the range on a gentle run, or do 'free' miles, like have 200 miles showing near the start of a journey, cover 30 miles and still have 190 showing.

There needs to be some adjustment to people's perception of what gentle or economical driving is. Most ic cars will be pretty good when cruising along at 70, but terrible around town. Thinking about the differences between the power sources the fact that different conditions will suit the different types should be pretty obvious, but until its pointed out most people probably won't even think about it.
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am With regards to noise though, it’s large tyres causing noise which I find the biggest source of noise in our town, especially in the rain.
*Noise guy hat on*

It's a shame that low noise tyres aren't ubiquitous option in the premium sector yet, especially on big wheels. On cost for OEMs is eff all in comparison to what you could charge for "quiet pack" I recon.

Options like Pirelli's PNCS (fancy name for foam in the tyres) work really well.

Wet road noise is a slightly different kettle of fish, could be tyres or could be the water thrown at the underbody by the tyres.