Your fleet running reports

Alex88

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Alex88 »

650i has had an annoying brake judder for a while now. BMW originally diagnosed it as worn bushes, which I had replaced. It’s not as bad now - only happening when braking from 70ish, whereas before it was there at almost all speeds. Apparently the discs are fine. Hope it gets through the MOT in a few weeks! It does need investigating.

The washer jets aren’t working. I don’t know if it’s the pump that’s given up (can’t hear anything from it) or if the system is all gunked up. Probably both, and probably my fault. I’ve topped up the reservoir with water that many times that it’s likely gone very manky. Will attempt to clear it out this weekend. Any ideas on what's best to clean it out the reservoir?

Nothing to report for the banger Civic. It plods up and down the A1M returning an easy 55MPG. Needs a bloody good clean/wax. Might do it after spending what will probably take all day fucking around on the 6.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Brake judder is usually due to wheel alignment on them, had the same, changed front discs and pads as they were worn anyway and still had the same till I aligned it. Which turned into a close to 3 hour ordeal.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Brake judder on my m coupe was bits of pad welded to the disks - try driving along with the brakes on for a bit :)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 pm Brake judder on my m coupe was bits of pad welded to the disks - try driving along with the brakes on for a bit :)
Same on my old GTA. A few big stops and it was good to go.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Thanks all. Hadn't thought of that. Will give it a few hard stops and see what we get.

Alignment ok as far as I know. Pulls straight and tyres wear evenly (I think)..
mik

Post by mik »

6-8 hard stops (about 90% of max braking - you dont want the ABS cutting in) back to back from 60-70 down to waking pace (dont come to a stop). Cool breaks. Home for beers.
GG.

Post by GG. »

New wheels arrived yesterday. Pretty pleased with the condition of them. They've only really got one hairline scratch that I could see but are otherwise mint (and come with Porsche crested valve caps too - which look like metal but are actually plastic :roll: ).

The Pirelli Sottozeros also have good tread depth...

... but - the DOT code shows they're a decade old and a year older than the car itself! Doh! :?

Truth be told I'm not upset by that as the wheels were a bargain at £1,000 on the nose - I've seen just the rims go for half as much again.

Question now is what to do with them. Do I swap the Michelin PS4Ss off the current wheels (will need to be done anyway to refurb them) and throw these winters in the bin. Do I splash a further £800 on new Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s or use these for a bit, see what they're like and if necessary go with option 1/2.

I'm leaning towards sticking them on, wearing them out this winter and dealing swapping the PS4Ss on in the spring and crossing my fingers to avoid fiery death in the intervening 5.5 months. :lol:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

GG. wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:44 pm New wheels arrived yesterday. Pretty pleased with the condition of them. They've only really got one hairline scratch that I could see but are otherwise mint (and come with Porsche crested valve caps too - which look like metal but are actually plastic :roll: ).

The Pirelli Sottozeros also have good tread depth...

... but - the DOT code shows they're a decade old and a year older than the car itself! Doh! :?

Truth be told I'm not upset by that as the wheels were a bargain at £1,000 on the nose - I've seen just the rims go for half as much again.

Question now is what to do with them. Do I swap the Michelin PS4Ss off the current wheels (will need to be done anyway to refurb them) and throw these winters in the bin. Do I splash a further £800 on new Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s or use these for a bit, see what they're like and if necessary go with option 1/2.

I'm leaning towards sticking them on, wearing them out this winter and dealing swapping the PS4Ss on in the spring and crossing my fingers to avoid fiery death in the intervening 5.5 months. :lol:
They don't look dry or brittle. Give them a go.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I agree - they look fine on a visual inspection - no cracking/fissures or other signs of degredation. I reckon they've been sat in a garage away from light/weather for much of their life (they'd have to be to get 10 years out of a pair of rears on a 911!)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yeah, put them on as is and drift around every corner. 😎
Cheers,

Ian
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Put them on and give them a try.

Does the rubber feel soft if you firmly rub your fingers across the tread, or is it hard ? I tried some old winters on my Compact for a solo, they felt OK driving normally on the road but were pretty awful when pushed. They were so hard they refused to wear down. Sliding them around an airfield all day made absolutely no difference to the tread depth :?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm Got the 420d back this afternoon. Apparently the power connector to the amp had a short, which is probably what killed amp #1, which they hadn’t noticed and thus instantly killed amp #2 when they powered it up yesterday. They’ve fixed the fault and amp #3 is working fine.
This failed again last week. Booked the car in for today, took it in first thing. We phoned them at 4 to check it was ready to collect: “we’ve only just started looking at it and haven’t diagnosed it. If you need it back tonight you can collect it at 5 when we’ve put it back together and you’ll have to book it in again”. When I suggested this was a bit shit, their excuse was “well, we’ve another 20 cars to look at”. WELL DON’T FUCKING BOOK A JOB IN IF YOU CAN’T FUCKING FIT THE WORK IN!!!!

So our choices are:

- Leave it there for tomorrow meaning MrsREV has no transport. I’m out all day at an interview so can’t drive her about.

- Collect it tonight, wait a couple of weeks for the next available slot and start the whole process again from scratch, as well as having the hassle of the drop off/pick up again, and the distinct possibility that the car won’t be ready in a day.

I understand jobs take time and run over, but surely a) don’t start the investigation work 5 hours after you’ve had the car and an hour before it’s due to be collected and b) as soon as you know it’s going to run over, call the customer and let them know?

Anyway, while I was writing this, the dealer principal called me back after I had a moan, they’re trying to get it fixed for tonight (they’re reprogramming the system, which takes an hour) but if not, they’ve agreed to reimburse taxi costs for tomorrow.

I think we’ll be binning this car as soon as we can. So far it’s been back at the dealer for 2 recalls and this is the 3rd amplifier it’s blown, all in 18 months. It doesn’t doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling as a long term ownership proposition.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

C300d update...

I experienced the “Low Speed, full lock, wheel judder” Merc thing for the first time this morning, backing off the drive.

I thought to myself “that’s that wheel thing” and got on with the rest of my life.

It’s really a non issue
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:08 pm C300d update...

I experienced the “Low Speed, full lock, wheel judder” Merc thing for the first time this morning, backing off the drive.

I thought to myself “that’s that wheel thing” and got on with the rest of my life.

It’s really a non issue
Is yours a 4-matic?

Oh, and Rev, what's the job?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Got the xenarcs in the mito.

I did some googling to try and find out how you remove / refit the d1s bulbs, but they were such a rarely chosen option no one seems to have done it themselves, and of all the hundreds of mitos I've seen online I've only seen one or two that have them!

The handbook is no help either, tells you how to change all the others but for the xenons tells you to take it to a dealer.

Turns out it's pretty simple, there's a lever down by the base of the lamp which you turn anti-clockwise about 10 degrees which unclips a load of springy metal teeth, you can then withdraw the bulb which is attached by a fairly reasonable length of braided cable, which you then unclip from the back of the bulb.

To put them back in you just keep it straight and poke it in the hole, give it a jiggle to make sure a locating peg lines up, flip the lever back and connect the cable back up ( I found it easier this way as the attached cable doesn't try and influence the motion of the bulb as you carefully insert it.)

Then pop the rubber cover back on the back of the light.

Didn't need to move or remove anything else, there was just enough room to get my nimble fingers in.

I now have lights with a brighter, cleaner, more even and whiter light. It would be wrong to claim they're a revolution, but they're noticeably better.
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm

It’s really a non issue
Is yours a 4-matic?

Nope??? Was that supposed to be just 4matic???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm Oh, and Rev, what's the job?
I’ll let you know if I get it 😉 It’s first round face-to-face. I expect there to be at least one more round (if not two), assuming I don’t fuck it up.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Oh, and BMW have confirmed that we’re getting amplifier number 4 tomorrow. They don’t seem keen on diagnosing why they keep blowing :roll:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm

It’s really a non issue
Is yours a 4-matic?

Nope??? Was that supposed to be just 4matic???
Yes. All RWD Mercs do it a little bit (like my C Class) but the 4-matics do it a LOT, because the 4wd system required changes to the front suspension/steering geometry. There are rumours that things were improved with new front arms on facelift cars.
Simon

Post by Simon »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm Oh, and Rev, what's the job?
I’ll let you know if I get it 😉 It’s first round face-to-face. I expect there to be at least one more round (if not two), assuming I don’t fuck it up.
GLWJI!