Your fleet running reports

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jobbo »

Rolling on 18s, yo.

Finally put on the winter wheels and tyres which I bought just after I got the Merc in March. I’ve been for a quick drive to check they feel ok and apart from a bit of a drone at about 30mph on new tarmac, they feel great - better than the 19” summers. Having said that, I was getting some traction issues and taking the summers off has made me realise how worn the old tears were; still surprisingly fine in standing water and legal, but I’ll be replacing them when I put the summers back on next year.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Put cheap wipers on the car while I was getting a phone mount at Halfords. Didn't get around to putting them on to I got to Lidl.

They're worse than useless. Going back tomorrow, PIAAs getting ordered.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany has reminded me that I've ordered new wipers for the M140i. Bought some Continental ones front and rear so let's see what they're like when they arrive.

I love getting new wipers 😂😂 Sad but true and I'd bet I'm not the only one on here.
Beany

Post by Beany »

McSwede wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:03 pm Beany has reminded me that I've ordered new wipers for the M140i. Bought some Continental ones front and rear so let's see what they're like when they arrive.

I love getting new wipers 😂😂 Sad but true and I'd bet I'm not the only one on here.
I normally do to, except when they're fucking terrible.
mik

Post by mik »

New wipers are always a pleasure. 8-)
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:36 pm Put cheap wipers on the car while I was getting a phone mount at Halfords. Didn't get around to putting them on to I got to Lidl.

They're worse than useless. Going back tomorrow, PIAAs getting ordered.
Buy shite, buy twice......
mik

Post by mik »

So MPS4S are waaay better in cold weather than MPSS. Exactly as I hoped. It was 2DegC today and they still had grip. 8-)

The only issue is that I still have MPSS on the rear.... :?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My Pilot Sport 4s on the front of the Merc felt fine too; the worm PZeros on the rear were more of a problem 😄
tim

Post by tim »

McSwede wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:53 pm
tim wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:46 pm What did you pay for the 2nd service out of interest? Cooper told me it would be around £750
£563 was quite reasonable for service 2. This has been much cheaper to maintain than the C220d before it. Merc are robbing MF's.
Cheers, will have a shop around when the time comes I think.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:50 pm So MPS4S are waaay better in cold weather than MPSS. Exactly as I hoped. It was 2DegC today and they still had grip. 8-)

The only issue is that I still have MPSS on the rear.... :?
Good to hear. I think most sporty tyres arent fantastic at this time of year unless they're on a 4wd car.

MINI is in at quarry bmw today to see if they can fix the really really annoying creaking near the dash which occurs when booting it.

It came up with a engine checklight the other day and on further inspection the typhoon air filter housing seemed to have come adrift from the original airbox when it was fastened. Secured with a cable tie it went away. Cheapest fix ever! :D
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Just had a phone call from Strasse. Flex plate check is done and everything was fine. Power steering pump has been rebuilt and the rich running issue has been sorted. I'll pick it up tomorrow and then I'll find out how much the bill is (probably a fair bit). Hopefully this weekend I can get around to replacing the truly fucking horrific gear shifter with a standard one and then I'll start giving the seats and carpets a good clean. Only 13 jobs left from an original tally of 20.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Delphi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:02 pm Just had a phone call from Strasse. Flex plate check is done and everything was fine. Power steering pump has been rebuilt and the rich running issue has been sorted. I'll pick it up tomorrow and then I'll find out how much the bill is (probably a fair bit). Hopefully this weekend I can get around to replacing the truly fucking horrific gear shifter with a standard one and then I'll start giving the seats and carpets a good clean. Only 13 jobs left from an original tally of 20.
8-) 8-)

Great news!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:01 am
MINI is in at quarry bmw today to see if they can fix the really really annoying creaking near the dash which occurs when booting it.
Fixed. The top of the dash removes on the lci so not all the dash needs removing. It's still a couple of hours plus labour tho. Guys fixing it said it was properly annoying. Anyway, at some stage it's been removed and not put back together right. It is now rattle free, I am well pleased.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Broccers wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:08 pm
Fixed. The top of the dash removes on the lci so not all the dash needs removing. It's still a couple of hours plus labour tho. Guys fixing it said it was properly annoying. Anyway, at some stage it's been removed and not put back together right. It is now rattle free, I am well pleased.
That's a result - tracing rattles is typically a complete arse isn't it?
Left over crest; tightens.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JonMad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:08 pm
That's a result - tracing rattles is typically a complete arse isn't it?
Yes and this is why I didnt do it myself - it would be worse :lol:

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Since my last fleet update the Discovery died at 5am on the way back from the coast, which was helpful, also took the battery out with it.

200 quid got me a new Denso alternator and the biggest capacity battery Tayna sold that fit in the space so not too bad.

Was a twat to replace the alternator, should be a 20 minute job but the Viscous Fan was seized, bent the special spanner for removing it, then bent the locking tool when I used a big 36mm spanner and a dead shot hammer to try budge it.

Finally came off, replaced and all is well.

Then the S60 decided to follow in its footsteps and shit its pants as well. Coming off the A1 onto the Wetherby exit, light were green so doing about 40ish, turned and nothing, steering wheel remained almost straight, anchored on and with both hands on one side of wheel pulling as hard as I could, just made it round the corner, it didn't just lose assistance, it locked up, which was exciting.

Lost all its fluid at some point on the A1, no noises that I'd have expected when running low on fluid etcs, looked at rack and it had blown all fluid out, turned quite freely 1/4 turn either way at speed, was fine all way up A1, but as soon as you try any more lock its not having it.so new rack time.

Thats mondays job if it comes over the weekend.

The joy of old cars 😂

Peugeot continues been completely reliable. Maybe I should the others and buy another 308 🤨
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

16vCento wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:45 pm it didn't just lose assistance, it locked up, which was exciting.
Don't forget to factor in a deep clean of the seat :shock:
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yep, a good day for leather seats 😂

I'm just glad no one was in the other lane or it wouldn't have been such a great ending!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

16vCento wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:45 pm Since my last fleet update the Discovery died at 5am on the way back from the coast, which was helpful, also took the battery out with it.

200 quid got me a new Denso alternator and the biggest capacity battery Tayna sold that fit in the space so not too bad.
That actually sounds like a bargain given the size of vehicle.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yeah parts are plentiful and cheap for Discovery's in the main, probably due to how often they fail 😂

150a Smart Alternator and the battery is a 95ah 900cca monster. Tayna are great for cheap batteries.