Your fleet running reports

V8Granite

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by V8Granite »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 pm £230 for a new wing from Merc for the old stager. Just ordered it. How much should I be charged for fitting and painting in your opinion folks? Ta.
£1040 plus VAT for a 500e one :lol:

All depends on what they find when the old wing comes off.

I’d say around £500 if they need to blend it in at all and do a nice job lining it up. Fixings will need replacing etc and the clips for the body trim etc.

Dave!

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:31 pm
speedingfine wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 pm £230 for a new wing from Merc for the old stager. Just ordered it. How much should I be charged for fitting and painting in your opinion folks? Ta.

I’d say around £500 if they need to blend it in at all and do a nice job lining it up. Fixings will need replacing etc and the clips for the body trim etc.

Dave!

Dave!
Bloody Hell, I had a doors off and glass out respray done on the Golf for £500!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

More like £2k for a quick mask up and blow over these days
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm Bloody Hell, I had a doors off and glass out respray done on the Golf for £500!
In the third world, or thirty years ago ? Or both ??
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:57 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm Bloody Hell, I had a doors off and glass out respray done on the Golf for £500!
10 years ago!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

:lol:

Cheers Dave.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Dave!

Dave!
Bloody Hell, I had a doors off and glass out respray done on the Golf for £500!
Just paint and consumables for my respray come to £2500.

A full respray now for £500, 3 litres of paint alone is £150 let alone any other materials or time.

Dave!
dan

Post by dan »

the guy that painted my elise would probably fit and paint it for a couple of hundred quid Chris.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swapping a dented front wing out and paint/blend, the bodyshop wanted £675 just for one panel.

Just saying. I'm pretty sure paint tech hasn't moved on that much since five years before that ;)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

dan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 pm the guy that painted my elise would probably fit and paint it for a couple of hundred quid Chris.
Dan - cheers mate, it's captive up in Walsall with a failed MOT at the moment so couldn't drive it to new bodyshop. Just wanted some ballpark figures so I knew what to expect.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:52 pm
Swapping a dented front wing out and paint/blend, the bodyshop wanted £675 just for one panel.

Just saying. I'm pretty sure paint tech hasn't moved on that much since five years before that ;)
I paid £475 for replacing the front wing and having it painted on the Galaxy. That was a month or so ago. They also touched up a double of scratches while they were at it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

M140i goes in for its 3rd service on Wednesday (62600miles) Also doing some investigating as when the gearbox gets hot, it gets noisy. It's like having a supercharger. Having to hire a car for a couple of days which is a faff!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 am
Beany wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:52 pm

I paid £475 for replacing the front wing and having it painted on the Galaxy. That was a month or so ago. They also touched up a double of scratches while they were at it.
Cheers 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

This is probably no help at all, but looking through the stuff with the Scimitar, in 2009 a full respray was £1500.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I know a mate of a mate of a mate that will do a concours quality respray tomorrow in whatever paint for £10 or a pack of beers.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I've been putting this update off as it meant I needed to add the cost of everything up!

Last year, I went around the van with the MOT tester and he showed me a few areas where it might need welding soon. It wasn't much, so during the latter part of lockdown, I set about repairing the few small holes in the front chassis leg. Armed with my trusty hammer, I started at the O/S front and worked my way back and around to the N/S front. Fucks sake, that was a huge mistake! By the time I was finished, I was left with with a Transit more holy than the Pope. Seriously, it was shocking what the mud and sealer had been hiding!

After 19 years, the grot had got to the old girl in a bad way. Transits are prone to rust and I was very close to sending it away to the scrappy, especially after finding what I thought was a terminal hole in the top chassis leg. It was huge, in a critical structual area and extremely difficult to get at. However, after several beers and sleeping on it, I decided to have a do or die carack at it. After stripping the whole front end down and removing the engine mount, I was able to just about get in there with the grinder and my new favourite tool, the nose sander, and was relieved to find the metal around it was perfect, so I welded in a 3mm plate for good measure and sealed it up. Measurements revealed no movement had occured despite the severe corrosion.

In between sporadic bouts of work, I was able to work my way around the van, replacing both front inner steps, inner and outer front sills, inner rear sills, patch up the O/S rear wheelarch, replace the N/S rear wheelarch and rear panel up to the bodyline, rear chassis legs (big job), rear spring hanger chassis rails (even bigger job). I also had to patch myriad other places, notably the front cab floorpan, inner wings (upper and lower) and the rear wings below the lights.

Some of the rusty parts removed:

With the welding complete, I etch primed the new areas, wire wheeled the entire underside of the van (a horrible dirty job) clean, and the sprayed the entire underside and cavities with rubberised underseal with a Shutchz gun. It looked brand new! I then turned my hand to the bodywork and smoothed over the areas I'd welded with filler, replaced both front wings with new and then wraped it in gloss black and painted the grey tired bumpers with Motip black bumper spray (which is excellent btw).

Being able to do the work myself was a godsend, as there's no way on Earth this van would have been economical to repair at a garage.I was also gifted the time from lockdown. I simply could'nt have completed it if I was working normal hours. As it stands today, I think I may have one of the most solid MK6 Transits on the road.

The cost to repair it was £1078.67, and the cost to wrap and signwrite it was £357.50. Total cost to restore (as that's what it feels like it was!) stands at £1436.37.

I don't think that's too bad considering the price of a replacement van. If I get another 5 years from this, I'll be well pleased. It was also nice to be able to get my teeth into something that felt worthwhile in the time that my business had become static.

Other than that it's been pretty quiet on the fleet front :lol:

Cheers.

Gwaredd
mik

Post by mik »

Looks like a new van 8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Top work Gwaaerddthhdd!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks great! Good skillz @Gwaredd.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Cheers. I have so many photos of rot and repairs. I'll pop a link to a DropBox folder if anyone's interested.
Cheers.

Gwaredd