Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

Super-niche update.

1) I live near the military academy in Sandhurst.
2) I have fitted an 8 Track player to my car
3) A car I share with my Dad
4) My Dad likes the Beatles

Try drawing a venn diagram of that. It’ll be microscopic. But eBay to the rescue….

ED2ED17B-D839-44A3-9780-BCEA0E974C24.jpeg
ED2ED17B-D839-44A3-9780-BCEA0E974C24.jpeg (140.09 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:48 pm I'm now a roof box convert.
they're very useful in a very boring, practical way. I still don't get why people put them onto lambos etc as a fashion statement. No car looks better with a roof box on it.

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've not used ours in a few years now. I really wanted a low profile one but at the time you couldn't really get them via a UK supplier and I wasn't bothered enough to source via one of the Scandi countries where they're fairly common.

I got a Calix which was about the lowest profile you could get at the time. The 1st one I was sent was the wrong one without the recess for the roof bars and was the wider model:

The second sat that bit better with the Whispbars (not properly fitted in this pic as it was just a quick trial to check the height):

I'm not even convinced we'll need to use it as long as we have the Superb!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Not sure I see the point of really low profile ones - just makes them less practical. My brother has a great roof box, it makes little attempt to be aerodynamic and basically a big square box. Way more useful than the point ones (or even ours - but mine was £50 off eBay).
mik

Post by mik »

Compromise.

Big n square maximises space but makes loss of noise and impacts economy & performance (and looks gash)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:09 pm Not sure I see the point of really low profile ones - just makes them less practical. My brother has a great roof box, it makes little attempt to be aerodynamic and basically a big square box. Way more useful than the point ones (or even ours - but mine was £50 off eBay).
Surprisingly, I guess it's all down to personal needs/requirements ;) With a nice square boot as well, the roof box can stil accommodate plenty of other resonably sized items.

But yes - the really low profile ones such as Packline do seem highly compromised. It seems to a be a "look" in some countries though.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:09 pm Not sure I see the point of really low profile ones - just makes them less practical. My brother has a great roof box, it makes little attempt to be aerodynamic and basically a big square box. Way more useful than the point ones (or even ours - but mine was £50 off eBay).
95mph with not an ounce of wind noise. It made a huge difference going from Thule aero bars to Whispbars. An ML is not exactly aerodynamic but it’s very quiet inside, with the old Thule bar set-up it made a whistle at 65 and was quite noisy at 80ish.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We've got a Kamei Dolphin on Whispbars (with a Thule bike rack on the side) and there's no noticeable noise when it is on. Generally keep it at 65mph with the box on as the impact to performance can be felt.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Meh, I drove 5 hours to Cornwall this week with my crappy set up at illegal speeds and didn't notice much/anything in the way of wind noise.

I'm going to file this in the same file as people complaining that normal cars aren't comfortable and needing some ultra wafty soft cruiser to drive an hour to work in. Our sport suspension with 19s on runflats is VERY comfortable to me.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Volvo got through it's MOT again, this year at the cost of a tyre and some rear brake dohickory that was rusted so badly the handbrake had ceased to work.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 am Meh, I drove 5 hours to Cornwall this week with my crappy set up at illegal speeds and didn't notice much/anything in the way of wind noise.

I'm going to file this in the same file as people complaining that normal cars aren't comfortable and needing some ultra wafty soft cruiser to drive an hour to work in. Our sport suspension with 19s on runflats is VERY comfortable to me.
5 hours? Not surprising that you didn't get wind noise at 50mph :lol:

I like my ultra wafty soft cruiser for driving an hour to work. I don't need a roofbox to kill the mpg and make it look stupid because it has a decent sized boot.

But then I'm on 20"s so clearly not who your comment was aimed at :P
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 am Meh, I drove 5 hours to Cornwall this week with my crappy set up at illegal speeds and didn't notice much/anything in the way of wind noise.
Your hearing aid needs new batteries ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:35 am

5 hours? Not surprising that you didn't get wind noise at 50mph :lol:
Surprisingly (to you at least) - it's not just one constant speed road all the way to Cornwall...

Though the A30 is such an improvement over the winding single tracks we used to end up on coming down here as kids. 5 hours on a Saturday morning would have easily been 8+ in the same traffic back then.

Impressive selection of services too - we stopped at a lovely little farm shop based one and had some amazing hog rolls and nice fields for the little 'un to run around and meet other kids.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's astounding the difference the A30 upgrades have made. That last section up to Chiverton Cross should make a big difference as well. When I first started travelling down there regularly about 20yrs ago it was easily a 6.5-7hr drive from Manchester (excl stops). That's now down to 5.5hrs drivetime in spite of the now "smart" M6 section now keeping you at pretty much 50mph until you hit the M5.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:22 am some amazing hog rolls

First I misread that because Covid, then I thought

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:22 am it's not just one constant speed road all the way to Cornwall...

No, sometimes they slow you down to ambush you;

mik

Post by mik »

WTF is that meant to say? :?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:38 pm WTF is that meant to say? :?
I think someone wants Emmett to die.

Edit: or Emmett's something unspecified to die.
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Huh, it seems "Emmet" is the Cornish equivalent of "Grockle".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_(Cornish)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

So just average garden variety racism?
---