Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

Turns out what I thought was a knackered propshaft support bearing was actually the collapse of the bodge I did to fix the collapsed handbrake mechanism a couple of years back.

Usual backplate corroding and pins pulling through, so I replaced with a small nut and bolt with a washer on the back, which had now pulled through too.

It must have been catching the handbrake cable as the noise was coming right from the middle of the car.

The proper fix is new backplates. Unfortunately this needs the rear drive flanges removing which also involves removing the driveshafts and will destroy the wheel bearing.

Not wanting to do all that I will attempt a semi bodge, by taking a slice out of the thinnest part of the backplate where it is cut for the caliper, feed it past the hub, then weld it together again in situ.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Half decent weather also meant I managed to give the e46 its first proper wash in months. Even treated the tyres, blacked the trims and gave it a coat of wax.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rear lights update, installation didn't go as smoothly as I intended. On the left side break lights were the indicators, and indicators were the break lights.

After exchanging a couple of emails with the suppliers looks it was sent out with a couple of plugs the wrong way round so hopefully it's a quick fix.

I already can see that they look better and are a millionty times brighter than the old ones.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 amUnfortunately this needs the rear drive flanges removing which also involves removing the driveshafts and will destroy the wheel bearing.
And it's a PITA job too. I did the rear bearings once on an E36 and swore never to do it again. The driveshafts are a pig to get out and IIRC you need a really big torque wrench to tighten the hub nut afterwards.

Go for the bodge ;)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Fixed the lotus battery with some strategic bracket bending from a pair of moles and a hammer!
Last edited by scotta on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 amyou need a really big torque wrench to tighten the hub nut afterwards.
How can that be anything other than a good thing? Big torque wrenches are GREAT.
ste

Post by ste »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:14 pm Exciting upgrade for the 7. Image

LED rear lights, mik will be pleased. :)

I'll be glad to get back to the standard clusters, the last owner put clear ones on but I prefer these. Reassuringly expensive though.
I've also bought a set of these ready for my rebuild. Possibly one of the best companies I've ever dealt with; his customer service is outstanding. Trying to decide why I don't need the LED headlights too... other than the shocking cost.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 amyou need a really big torque wrench to tighten the hub nut afterwards.
How can that be anything other than a good thing? Big torque wrenches are GREAT.
My wheel nuts need tightening to 350lb/ft so I'm quite well equipped in that department 😉

And no, BMW rear wheel bearings are not something you do for fun, I had to do one on the e36 several years ago and the memories still haunt me.
Cheers, Harry
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 amMy wheel nuts need tightening to 350lb/ft so I'm quite well equipped in that department 😉
Sorry - YOU WHAT?!!

That's insane!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am
integrale_evo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 amMy wheel nuts need tightening to 350lb/ft so I'm quite well equipped in that department 😉
Sorry - YOU WHAT?!!

That's insane!
Cheers, Harry
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Of course :) - stupid James! forgot who I was talking to there for a second.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I call Bruce, there's no way that ratchet on the floor will push that poundage. :D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You've not met Harry - fucker makes the Hulk look a little spindly.
mik

Post by mik »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:57 am You've not met Harry - fucker makes the Hulk look a little spindly.
He's not known as Harry Ferrigno for nuthin'.
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:14 pm Exciting upgrade for the 7. Image

LED rear lights, mik will be pleased. :)
That does please me - your last ones were shocking. :o
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ste wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am
I've also bought a set of these ready for my rebuild. Possibly one of the best companies I've ever dealt with; his customer service is outstanding. Trying to decide why I don't need the LED headlights too... other than the shocking cost.
He's sending me out another unit, and I need to fit it by Saturday morning so I'll be testing his legendary customer service to see what he can do for me!

Go for the headlights, you know it makes sense. ;) You need to get the cf rear light backing blocks too if you're doing a proper job... I'll be getting them ready for any respray. Only thing I haven't seen yet is cf front light housings.
ste

Post by ste »

I've already got the carbon rear blocks, that was a real saga and it's still not quite finished. I received no confirmation after ordering, got no response to phonecalls or emails and had to take to social media before they seemed to even start to make them. It took 5 weeks for them to turn up and the quality of the ones I finally received was iffy. I had to complain on social media beofe he did anything. It's now over a month since, he's admitted his mould is knackered and i still have substandard parts.

Carbon front light housings, do you mean the platforms the indicators and headlights mount too or the headlight bowls?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ste wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 pm I've already got the carbon rear blocks, that was a real saga and it's still not quite finished. I received no confirmation after ordering, got no response to phonecalls or emails and had to take to social media before they seemed to even start to make them. It took 5 weeks for them to turn up and the quality of the ones I finally received was iffy. I had to complain on social media beofe he did anything. It's now over a month since, he's admitted his mould is knackered and i still have substandard parts.

Carbon front light housings, do you mean the platforms the indicators and headlights mount too or the headlight bowls?
I've seen the indicator housings in carbon, but not the headlight bowls. I have 5 3/4" headlights so I've only looked for them mind. I saw a cf bonnet online, but that's probably a step too far considering the standard one isn't exactly heavy!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 am Image
Proper centrelocks ? I didn't realise. How, why ??
ste

Post by ste »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:10 pm I've seen the indicator housings in carbon, but not the headlight bowls. I have 5 3/4" headlights so I've only looked for them mind. I saw a cf bonnet online, but that's probably a step too far considering the standard one isn't exactly heavy!
Westermann Motorsport have them. Westermann are essentially 'MOG', they make all the silly carbon stuff:

http://westermann-motorsport.com/index. ... uct&info=8

I often wish I'd never found that website... have a largish order being made at the moment. :oops:

...for a bit of fun, spec one of their cars: http://westermann-motorsport.com/index. ... t&info=296

:shock: