Doh!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:59 pm Image

Doh!
Very similar to my fail!

I set it up beautifully for all the numbers to tick over At exactly the right time... though I was clearly 0.1 miles out!

Barry

Post by Barry »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:19 pm Old cars or getting old? ;)
Both in my case, point still stands.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I kept reminding myself to keep track then forgot within 10mi :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifie ... rchad=Used

So that’s why my phone can’t connect to it over the weekend, it’s parked up inside the showroom :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

tl/dr; Fabia chose being en route to my first targa rally as a driver to break down. Steve (Sundayjumper) is a legend. Fabia problem diagnosed - should be an easy fix.

Longer version.

5am start. Trudling up the M40 to go to Oxford Motor Club's Targa Rally, I was sat at about 75 when over my ear defenders I suddenly heard and felt the engine started running very rough and the CEL came on, flashing yellow. Things didn't seem terminal and I was very handily only a mile or so from the services (where I had planned to meet someone from the club alter that day to buy a set of tyres from them, which I have postponed for a while), so I trundled in and parked up. No steam or leaks. All coolant and oil all present.

Steve's and my plan was that we drove our own cars with each of us navigating for the other - shouting out 'left of 17, right of 18, ..' to get round the cones properly, with the occasional, 'no that was wrong!' or 'reverse, we need to go the other way!'. Having not seen him on the motorway (& with the A34 closed so our route would be the same), I gave him a call, discovered that yes, indeed, he was en route behind me, and 25 mins later he rolled up in the V10 Touareg with BMW Compact on the trailer. Steve quickly pulled out his laptop and bluetooth dongle and detected a consistent cylinder 2 misfire. Easiest option was to leave my car in the services all day, and I jumped into the passenger seat of the Touraeg and we continued on our way.

Having resigned myself to not getting to drive, on arrival one of the scruitineering chaps suggests we could swap my car details for Steve's if he was ok with that, and we double drive his car. Steve said yes, and so we duly did that. Which was great as we got twice as much time out on the courses, and twice as much sliding sideways at every opportunity (Steve moreso than me, as I was trying, occasionally, to keep it slightly neater because after three tests of the 8 I was 2nd in class). That didn't last and the final result was I ended 4th in class (boo :( ), 11th overall out of 36 finishers, Steve 6th in class at 16th overall.

Steve then continued to maintain superstar status as we picked up my car from the services and I drove his home as far as mine. Driving the compact was great fun, with it feeling well balanced (oversteer biased) and an interesting silly short gearchange.

It looks like I have one broken coil so will get one to check it fits and fixes the running issue, then as Steve suggested, replace the rest of them as they are all originals from 2006.

We're doing it all again in three weeks at Rushmoor Targa. Well, hopefully not exactly the same as this time.
Left over crest; tightens.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rich B wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:59 pm Image

Doh!
Very similar to my fail!

I set it up beautifully for all the numbers to tick over At exactly the right time... though I was clearly 0.1 miles out!

Yup
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Losers

Beany spec photo though :lol:
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 am Losers

Beany spec photo though :lol:
0.9 of a mile too early you mean :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Just call me Wobbly Steve :lol:

Also, I don’t normally listen to Heart. That’s a bad photo.

Here's a better one.

The 2019 Bullnose Targa 33.jpg
The 2019 Bullnose Targa 33.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

8-)

New coil fitted. Engine back to running as it was.

Meanwhile.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The 530 did just over 500 miles today. Tomorrow - Stuttgart !

9621BBF1-42CE-4A7A-862D-C3A1E936E7C8.jpeg
9621BBF1-42CE-4A7A-862D-C3A1E936E7C8.jpeg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
GG.

Post by GG. »

New key housing was delivered today. The door lock/unlock switch had broken off the main key months ago, I then swapped over the buttons from the second key but that also gave up the ghost last week.

The replacement eBay one looks decent enough quality other than the icons on the buttons are less prominent. It also doesn't come with a Porsche crest on the back presumably for copyright reasons which is annoying. In reality, to swap over that side of the key you need to prise out the transponder and glue it in the new key, so I was never going to bother.

Anyway - £14 for a button, effectively. Bit miffed but at least I don't now have to stand there jamming my finger in the key to get it to open :roll:

mik

Post by mik »

Recess looks designed for the emblem, so Shirley you can get one somewhere?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Played the ‘fuel warning light’ game in the GT3 today.

Ended up putting in 62.9L of fuel in a 64L tank.

I was so brave. :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Good news everybody! Ford garage now have all the bits they need, Galaxy should be back with us on Tuesday.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Did you ever get the radio sorted?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yes, had the radio resoldered, but not the instrument binnacle. It has had a few recurrences since, so will have to do something about it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
scotta

Post by scotta »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:07 am tl/dr; Fabia chose being en route to my first targa rally as a driver to break down. Steve (Sundayjumper) is a legend. Fabia problem diagnosed - should be an easy fix.

Longer version.

5am start. Trudling up the M40 to go to Oxford Motor Club's Targa Rally, I was sat at about 75 when over my ear defenders I suddenly heard and felt the engine started running very rough and the CEL came on, flashing yellow. Things didn't seem terminal and I was very handily only a mile or so from the services (where I had planned to meet someone from the club alter that day to buy a set of tyres from them, which I have postponed for a while), so I trundled in and parked up. No steam or leaks. All coolant and oil all present.

Steve's and my plan was that we drove our own cars with each of us navigating for the other - shouting out 'left of 17, right of 18, ..' to get round the cones properly, with the occasional, 'no that was wrong!' or 'reverse, we need to go the other way!'. Having not seen him on the motorway (& with the A34 closed so our route would be the same), I gave him a call, discovered that yes, indeed, he was en route behind me, and 25 mins later he rolled up in the V10 Touareg with BMW Compact on the trailer. Steve quickly pulled out his laptop and bluetooth dongle and detected a consistent cylinder 2 misfire. Easiest option was to leave my car in the services all day, and I jumped into the passenger seat of the Touraeg and we continued on our way.

Having resigned myself to not getting to drive, on arrival one of the scruitineering chaps suggests we could swap my car details for Steve's if he was ok with that, and we double drive his car. Steve said yes, and so we duly did that. Which was great as we got twice as much time out on the courses, and twice as much sliding sideways at every opportunity (Steve moreso than me, as I was trying, occasionally, to keep it slightly neater because after three tests of the 8 I was 2nd in class). That didn't last and the final result was I ended 4th in class (boo :( ), 11th overall out of 36 finishers, Steve 6th in class at 16th overall.

Steve then continued to maintain superstar status as we picked up my car from the services and I drove his home as far as mine. Driving the compact was great fun, with it feeling well balanced (oversteer biased) and an interesting silly short gearchange.

It looks like I have one broken coil so will get one to check it fits and fixes the running issue, then as Steve suggested, replace the rest of them as they are all originals from 2006.

We're doing it all again in three weeks at Rushmoor Targa. Well, hopefully not exactly the same as this time.
Check there isnt a recall on the coilpacks - there certainly was on the 1.8T unit. Audi replaced them all FOC on our A4 of similar vintage and reimbursed me for the ones i had already replaced*.

*Which for once choose the best place possible to fail. 100yds from a VAG dealer that handily had a colipack in stock