V8Granite

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by V8Granite »

After seeing it today I may be caught hugging the car aswell :lol:

Dave!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I've slowly upgraded the stereo in the Toyota over the last few years with an Android Auto head unit and better speakers, but was still underwhelmed. At a decent volume, the bass was still too much for the speakers and they would start to distort. Turn the bass down a bit to eliminate this and it sounded crap.

Without wanting to go down the route of even better speakers and a separate amp, I thought I'd try a self powdered under seat sub. I went for an in-phase one as it got much better reviews than the Kenwood equivalent, and have to say I'm really impressed. Was a doddle to fit, is unobtrusive to rear passengers feet and as it's connected using the RCA output, I can control the level of bass to the sub via the stereo , meaning the speakers are no longer overwhelmed.

OK, it's not a mega sounding system like we used to have in our youth, but it's transformed the quality for a fraction over £100.00

It also drowns out an ominous sound from the clutch area which I fear will need attention in the near future...
Cheers.

Gwaredd
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Front toe adjustment on the Fabia.
'Diagnosis' = before. 'Adjustment' = after
Let's see if that makes a difference to turn in.

Currently camber is -1.4• left, -2.3• right, so not too bad but room for further tweaking with some adjustable top mounts or some other means.
Left over crest; tightens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Changed the rear brake pads on the C Class. I originally bought them in Jan 2019 when I first got the car and put it in for a service. The dealer said the pads would need doing 'soon-ish'. The pad warning only came on the dash this week so I've finally managed to fit them. Bit of a faff with the electronic handbrake and working out how to put it into service mode but once done it was all changed quickly and easily.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

So the light was some O2 sensor showing a disparity in air in the exhaust or between the DPF and something or other. They cleaned the air filters which apparently can trigger said warning.

It pinged again next day as I drove 200 miles North so then seemed to enter a limp mode so no Turbo for me.

On the way home, engine light still on but turbo worked all the way home.

It is due back in Wednesday to "sort" apparently pipework can breakdown and let air in. They did a check and said it was fine but hopefully they will get to the bottom of it. I do love the car but it is by some margin the most expensive and problematical car I have ever owned. I know £50k Merc, 11 years old etc etc :shock:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Neighbours fleet running report:
He's bought a Mk4 golf to flip. Covered in scratches which he's mostly polished out, has an issue with the suspension/steering, a blowing exhaust and it failed the MOT on emissions - probably related to the blowing exhaust. Also appears to be missing it's airbox which probably isn't helping.

Expecting to be roped into mucking in to fixing it up, which'll be a laugh at worst.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Audi winter wheel purchase: three arrived last week. The fourth is with DPD who have sent it between a couple of depots and keep updating with 'There is a delay with your parcel'. Hoping it might turn up soon...

Mini update: has not been used for a while. Battery had gone mostly flat so I jump started it a week ago, moved it to outside the garage and stuck the CTEK on it. Checked the CTEK a few times during the course of last week, and it kept being in an error state (red light on) part way through the 8 steps. Tried starting the car; it still didn't have enough charge, so I took the battery out and stuck it on the CTEK in the garage instead.

Saturday afternoon I checked the CTEK and it had stalled at step 2 this time, so I was fairly sure the battery was toast. The Mini needed to be moved back to its usual parking space so I stuck the battery in, jump started it and moved it. Tried to lock it up; it locked, but the driver window was down about 2" (probably kept dropping slightly when opening the door, then not going back up, due to battery having some charge but not much). Moved my car to it, connected jump leads and raised the window. Locked it, disconnected jump leads and a minute or so later the alarm started going off. Remote now not unlocking the car due to the low battery so I couldn't stop it :lol: Had to get in with the hidden key, bring my car back over, reconnect jump leads and start the Mini's engine to get the alarm to turn off. Did that, turned off, disconnected jump leads, closed it and locked the door with the key, moved my car back and realised the Mini's alarm was going off again :rofl:

Finally moved my car over a third time, jump started the Mini once again to get the alarm to turn off, then disconnected the battery totally before locking it manually with the key. Feeling fucking pleased the window was still up.

Ordered a new battery now, might put the permanent CTEK terminals on it for ease of future connection...
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:03 am Audi winter wheel purchase: three arrived last week. The fourth is with DPD who have sent it between a couple of depots and keep updating with 'There is a delay with your parcel'. Hoping it might turn up soon...

Mini update: has not been used for a while. Battery had gone mostly flat so I jump started it a week ago, moved it to outside the garage and stuck the CTEK on it. Checked the CTEK a few times during the course of last week, and it kept being in an error state (red light on) part way through the 8 steps. Tried starting the car; it still didn't have enough charge, so I took the battery out and stuck it on the CTEK in the garage instead.

Saturday afternoon I checked the CTEK and it had stalled at step 2 this time, so I was fairly sure the battery was toast. The Mini needed to be moved back to its usual parking space so I stuck the battery in, jump started it and moved it. Tried to lock it up; it locked, but the driver window was down about 2" (probably kept dropping slightly when opening the door, then not going back up, due to battery having some charge but not much). Moved my car to it, connected jump leads and raised the window. Locked it, disconnected jump leads and a minute or so later the alarm started going off. Remote now not unlocking the car due to the low battery so I couldn't stop it :lol: Had to get in with the hidden key, bring my car back over, reconnect jump leads and start the Mini's engine to get the alarm to turn off. Did that, turned off, disconnected jump leads, closed it and locked the door with the key, moved my car back and realised the Mini's alarm was going off again :rofl:

Finally moved my car over a third time, jump started the Mini once again to get the alarm to turn off, then disconnected the battery totally before locking it manually with the key. Feeling fucking pleased the window was still up.

Ordered a new battery now, might put the permanent CTEK terminals on it for ease of future connection...
I was thinking with my son now at uni and not taking his car it might be an idea to stick one of the aldi chargers on it so we don't get into this situation that can easily be prevented. It will get used from time to time over the winter but not much. Hopefully he'll pull his finger out and get himself passed by early next year and then it will start getting used a bit.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If it is legal on the road just take it for a 15 minute drive. The alternator will put loads of charge in and all the car parts will get a nice heat cycle.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nearly collection time !!!

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Like Christmas come early! And about as expensive!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

That looks fabulous. 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I shall be taking the long way home 😎

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Top job. 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I got the Aston out today and gave it a wash, it was quite dusty from sitting in the garage. It was nice to wash a car that wasn’t:

a) huge (Cayenne, 7-Series)
2) filthy (Cayenne, 7-Series)

I even took it for a drive. It’s quite nice. I’d forgotten.

It’s going to sit outside for a few days while I try to tidy the garage a bit. The old cover from my E36 Coupe days is pressed into service. The mirror pockets are in the wrong place but otherwise it’s a surprisingly decent fit.

5AD0B867-0D6F-48B1-A42F-287E715C0959.jpeg
5AD0B867-0D6F-48B1-A42F-287E715C0959.jpeg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Nic

Post by Nic »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:22 pm Nearly collection time !!!

Dave!
Looks fantastic. What suspension components did you use? Genuine MB or lemforder / meyle etc.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Lovely stuff @V8Granite
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Fourth winter wheel delivery update: DPD have now moved it from Hinckley to Stoke to Hinckley to Birmingham today. Not sure which, if any, of those depots will be where the delivery comes from...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 am Fourth winter wheel delivery update: DPD have now moved it from Hinckley to Stoke to Hinckley to Birmingham today. Not sure which, if any, of those depots will be where the delivery comes from...
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am
Looks fantastic. What suspension components did you use? Genuine MB or lemforder / meyle etc.
All the suspension arms were genuine, I think it was only the front subframe bushes that were pattern parts as the stiffer genuine ones weren’t available. They are stiffer ones from a 201 chassis car I believe.
The diff bushes are NLA but luckily they were really good still.

The biggest issue is finding a small wire rear screen for a good price. They were NLA from Merc when I checked a few years back so I’m hoping they come back for a reasonable price.

How is yours progressing ?

Dave!