Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:15 pm So just average garden variety racism?
"tourists".
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:48 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:15 pm So just average garden variety racism?
"tourists".
Tourist: someone from "not here". Xenophobia a better word?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:48 pm
"tourists".
Tourist: someone who visits a place for pleasure and interest, usually while on holiday.

It's nothing to do with any particular race - it's usually angry people who don't want people causing traffic jams in their small village, extra long waiting list at the doctors, hogging their waves, etc... they don't give two shits about what race they are.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I agree with most of that, but there's still an othering aspect to the statement, not (necessarily) based on race or country of origin I agree, except as in "not from here". I'm sure there's a word for it, can't think of it.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:36 pm I agree with most of that, but there's still an othering aspect to the statement, not (necessarily) based on race or country of origin I agree, except as in "not from here". I'm sure there's a word for it, can't think of it.
Funny Foreign Fucker ?

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:37 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:36 pm I agree with most of that, but there's still an othering aspect to the statement, not (necessarily) based on race or country of origin I agree, except as in "not from here". I'm sure there's a word for it, can't think of it.
Funny Foreign Fucker ?

Dave!
That's three words. Make it one with a Latin twist and you're there.
---
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Xenophobia is close - the dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries - but for Cornwall it's other counties. Kernophobia doesn't work, and kenophobia is the fear of empty spaces (maybe they'd experience that if there wasn't any tourism) :(
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Funny Foreign Fucker ?

Dave!
That's three words.

No address found :(
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:52 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Funny Foreign Fucker ?

Dave!
That's three words.

No address found :(
:D
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:48 pm Xenophobia is close - the dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries - but for Cornwall it's other counties. Kernophobia doesn't work, and kenophobia is the fear of empty spaces (maybe they'd experience that if there wasn't any tourism) :(
Cool. Let's ban tourism in Cornwall and see how long the area lasts based on its own towering peaks of industry.

Same shit up North. No tourists? Cool, no High Street.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:29 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:48 pm "tourists".
Tourist: someone who visits a place for pleasure and interest, usually while on holiday.

It's nothing to do with any particular race - it's usually angry people who don't want people causing traffic jams in their small village, extra long waiting list at the doctors, hogging their waves, etc... they don't give two shits about what race they are.
Not entirely true with regard to the Cornish. Cornish nationalists do play on the fact that they are a different ethnicity to the English, being descended from Celtish stock. So DJ is right in that subjectively they're being xenophobic as they don't consider Cornwall to be part of the UK - clearly the tourism is part of it but its not the whole story.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Same as a lot of places worldwide: locals love the quiet season but need the busy one to survive..

I’m half Cornish (my Greatgrandfather had a ship building company there), spent most of my early summers there and several of my uncles live there still, but I’ve been told several times I’ve been away too long to be considered Cornish.. it’s sad really. And I tend to holiday in Devon now, so fvck ‘em! 😁
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:21 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:29 pm

Not entirely true with regard to the Cornish. Cornish nationalists do play on the fact that they are a different ethnicity to the English, being descended from Celtish stock. So DJ is right in that subjectively they're being xenophobic as they don't consider Cornwall to be part of the UK - clearly the tourism is part of it but its not the whole story.
Oh the sweet sweet irony. I'm guessing that these "Cornish nationalists" are the same weirdos that have a Saint Piran's flag sticker on their rear bumper and seem happy enough to clog all the usual touristy spots in the South East during every holiday period :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not exactly a fleet update, but new shiny bits as I had a Halfords voucher I needed to spend.

I’m still using the ratchets from my first ‘proper’ Halfords set I bought over 20 years ago, so unhappy that their good value for money even though no doubt someone will come along and say snap on are a millionty better and I’m an idiot.

I wanted a set to keep as a set and carry around, and put things back when I’ve used them, my other collection of tools just gets scattered far and wide and chucked into various boxes.

Much improved over their older sets, it’s all metric and all the sockets are 6 point so you don’t end up with half the sockets you’re never going to use. Things like screwdriver bits kept to a sensible selection instead of adding hundreds to bump up the headline item count total.
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The Cornish don't go on holiday - they're already there ;)

I always understood emmet to be more relating to Incomers - not tourists but those moving into the County. Their ire is particularly reserved for the 2nd home/holiday home owners and the damaging effect that has on the ability of ordinary folks to be able to actuslly live there.

To be fair I always thought it was overblown but there were some fairly shocking stats this year in terms of private rented properties vs holiday let's and AirBnBs
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yep, there are Cunts everywhere in the world. Thankfully they are in the minority.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ordered a set of 18" Allroad alloys from German eBay yesterday - £395 inc shipping from Germany, with Dunlop Winter Sport tyres on, about 1/3 worn. Absolute bargain.

If you're after some OE wheels for a German car, it's well worth checking German eBay.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:33 am Ordered a set of 18" Allroad alloys from German eBay yesterday - £395 inc shipping from Germany, with Dunlop Winter Sport tyres on, about 1/3 worn. Absolute bargain.

If you're after some OE wheels for a German car, it's well worth checking German eBay.
Wow that is good value and yes there are loads of Porsche wheels on there IIRC.
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 pm Not exactly a fleet update, but new shiny bits as I had a Halfords voucher I needed to spend.

I’m still using the ratchets from my first ‘proper’ Halfords set I bought over 20 years ago, so unhappy that their good value for money even though no doubt someone will come along and say snap on are a millionty better and I’m an idiot.
I am still using the Halfords socket set I inherited from my dad. It’s at least 35 years old and the ratchet still works well despite being abused with hammers when “required”, and the case is still fully intact despite being thrown about a bit over the years. It was sold with a “lifetime guarantee” - so a couple of sockets have been replaced (the last one when the set was about 20years old, which Halfords weren’t particularly chuffed about :lol: ) but the receipt taped inside the box eventually faded to a blank piece of paper. Sneaky. :geek:

I really dislike that the sockets are all 12-point, but clearly not enough to replace them all with 6-pointers…. :?