Your fleet running reports

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jobbo »

That's my previous experience of it in the Volvo too - but the fairly basic mk7 Golf which I drove with it allowed you to set it close enough to the car in front that you're tailgating to persuade it out of the way :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Be careful of radar cruise though - it can lull you into a false sense of security.

The one on my Merc will only brake up to 50% of maximum available braking effort, so if the car on the front stands on the brakes for whatever reason the system will detect that and start beeping and warning that it's not going to slow enough by itself. If I then brake then all good, and if I'm not braking hard enough then it can brake itself _more_ to avoid a crash, but it expects me to do something at the start, IYSWIM.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Volvo has all sorts of collision avoidance stuff - it'll stand on the brakes if necessary.

It also shows you on the speedo the speed of the car in front, so you can see how much slower it's going than you as you approach. Can't remember if the Golf did that since it's been a while.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Golf doesn’t do that.

False sense of security? Well, you’re still driving the car so forget that at your peril.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
scotta

Post by scotta »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 pm Don't they have a dipstick? I think if so, that might be the easiest way to check the level of the oil inside of the engine device. 👍
They don’t. Presumably the good people at Porsche thought the average Porker Punter wouldn’t want to get their hands dirty.
Neither of the BMW's have a dipstick which is hugely annoying. The 3 series pinged up that it needed oil last week and the only way to check it is with the iDrive. It will only run the check once the engine is fully up to temperature so you need to dive it for 5 or 6 miles then check it. :evil:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

simon_g wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm Stepwagon
Has it shouted “you’re not my real dad!” at you, yet?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

The ageing Alhambra was pressed into service once again last week when we decided to take a break in the Netherlands. Naturally, the week before, my normally smart, intelligent wife decided to do the unthinkable for the 2nd time in the cars history, and fill it with petrol instead of diesel. Thankfully, these PD engines are seemingly imune to it due to no rubber 'O' rings in the system (or something), so a drain & re-fill are all that's required.

As the car had been running bad since I fitted the new turbo a while back (very low power pulling away until the turbo came on boost) & I could find no answers via the internet or VAG-Com, I took this opportunity to replace the fuel filter & MAF sensor with genuine OEM ones, based purely on my gut. I've no idea which item was at fault (I suspect the MAF), but the car has run faultlessly ever since. We did over a thousand miles on our trip away & it drove perfect, even returning a 51.6mpg average. Pretty impressive for a 16 year old bus fully laden!

The Anus continues to be the perfect van. Not boring, but not exciting, it is a great mile cruncher. And you can actually buy an Auris van I've discovered. Not sold here, but available in Ireland, it's just a car with the side windows & seats removed. Everything else is exactly the same, only they're much more expensive than a regular car & you have to pay VAT. Not such a dumb move after all?
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 am False sense of security? Well, you’re still driving the car so forget that at your peril.
The Volvo autopilot mode is great for reminding you you're still driving. It randomly decides it can't see the lane markings any longer so with a quick vibrate of the steering wheel it disengages the self-steering. But leaves the cruise control on so you keep going at the same speed. It also disengages if you don't touch the wheel for 30 seconds without any warning other than a light on the dash going out :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Finally managed a little time on the 500e.

I ordered new variable cam timing magnets solenoids and new distributor isolators. The isolators were to cure a quite aggressive misfire after it has been laid up for a while. It cured itself after a long drive but it took 20 miles or so. Despite making just 65hp/ litre it has a really picky ignition system which seems a bit silly.

So distributor off and I found this, these caps are only about 5000 miles old....

The slots are at the bottom when mounted. Obvious arcing which creates popping and banging and little moving.

Rotor drive visible in front of the yellow isolator. You can also see the oil leak below the cam solenoid.

Huzzah, there you are you moist bastard!!!!

It gets trapped between the cap and head, there is a seal between the rotor drive and the cam, I’m not entirely sure why it gets trapped but a new seal and possibly porous isolator could be the cause. These were about £60 each, grr.

Cam solenoid removed, it advances and retards 25degrees depending on load, revs etc. It only moves the full 25 and nowhere in-between so is quite a basic system.

New solenoid fitted and sealed, new isolator fitted, rotor cleaned up and everything torqued up.

All back together and wires run neatly.

I had to remove the power steering reservoir to do the drivers side, they had ground a flat into the stud for the reservoir so you had a straight run at the solenoid bolt, it makes me all warm and fuzzy finding things like that.

New power steering filter fitted, new gasket (rubber seal as part of the gasket paper, wibble) and put it all back together.

I then treated myself to a new oil filler cap as the original is a pain in the butt to open, I think this is from a much later M119 in the S class or something.

No more misfire 8-)

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yes but once I've switched on cruise control, I don't like to have to meet my feet. Simpler.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm Yes but once I've switched on cruise control, I don't like to have to meet my feet. Simpler.
JL, I'd like to introduce you to these appendages at the bottom of your legs...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

* move my feet. Move.

It's been a long day 🤦‍♂️
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am Finally managed a little time on the 500e.

Cam solenoid removed, it advances and retards 25degrees depending on load, revs etc. It only moves the full 25 and nowhere in-between so is quite a basic system.
Has to be said, seeing 'variable cam timing' and 'distributor cap' in the same bit of work caught my eye, but yeah, that must be quite an early variant of the tech!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I found the rarest of all things at the weekend, an empty, wide stretch of road, setting off to the coast at 4am has its advantages!

I can confirm the speed limiter was indeed removed by the mapping on the Volvo, feels very well planted at those speeds as well. I'm sure the fresh, lowered suspension hasn't hurt there though!

Just need to decide what I want to do with it now paint wise, might just get the bumpers sprayed and blended, or a full blow over, don't really want to lose the original paint on the body as it's in great condition, but freshly painted bumpers will just look odd I think.

Finally started test driving a few cars as well for the wife, she still likes the thought of a C30 T5, so we test drove one and it was quite nice, not as refined as I had expected though.

Also went to look at a V40 T5, which was not as nice to drive, but obviously a much nicer, more modern place to sit, more refined and had a lot more space.

Just need to find a local GT86 or BRZ now to try and then, finally, we should be getting a new car.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Beany wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm
V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am Finally managed a little time on the 500e.

Has to be said, seeing 'variable cam timing' and 'distributor cap' in the same bit of work caught my eye, but yeah, that must be quite an early variant of the tech!
Distributor caps were still being used until fairly recently, it was a nice easy way to run multiple spark plugs of a single coil.

Not to be confused with an actual distributor which used weights and vacuum to adjust ignition timing, it's just for spark distribution with the timing being computer controlled.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Distributor caps were still being used until fairly recently, it was a nice easy way to run multiple spark plugs of a single coil.

Not to be confused with an actual distributor which used weights and vacuum to adjust ignition timing, it's just for spark distribution with the timing being computer controlled.
Ah, that's absolutely going to be where most of my confusion has come from!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

16vCento wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:20 pm
Finally started test driving a few cars as well for the wife, she still likes the thought of a C30 T5, so we test drove one and it was quite nice, not as refined as I had expected though.
I like C30 T5, a lot more interesting than Focus ST.

The blue one on eBay looks nice.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

The one I looked at is a Dark Silver facelift, pretty much the same colour my MCS was, had full black leather rather than that rubbish R-Design fake stuff.

Nice looking car, comfy, I think a bigger intercooler, block mod and a map and we would be quite happy with one tbh.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Topped up brake fluid on the Megane. Imminent death, 'Brake system failure' warning hasn't shown up since.
Left over crest; tightens.
scotta

Post by scotta »

JonMad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 am Topped up brake fluid on the Megane. Imminent death, 'Brake system failure' warning hasn't shown up since.
Check your nipples and make sure they arent leaking. its very unusual for the brake fluid to drop. Points to a leak somewhere. The Brembos have two nipples on the front callipers.