Your fleet running reports

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Matty »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am When you changed it did you go through all of the OBD backup palava or just swap it out?
I just swapped it out.

Had it recovered today. Starter motor is overheating trying to start the engine....so either the starter is dead, which isn't too expensive....or more worrying the engine won't move. If it's the latter then...yikes. Then I would have wished it was the transmission.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Or could be as simple as a dodgy earth ? I’ve never had a correct diagnosis from a recovery guy, except when I told them exactly what the problem was before they started.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

From my experience, anything starting related is a coil pack (or a fuse problem, caused by a coil pack).
Left over crest; tightens.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Matty wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 pm
drcarlos wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am When you changed it did you go through all of the OBD backup palava or just swap it out?
I just swapped it out.

Had it recovered today. Starter motor is overheating trying to start the engine....so either the starter is dead, which isn't too expensive....or more worrying the engine won't move. If it's the latter then...yikes. Then I would have wished it was the transmission.
Hopefully just a dead starter then, finger crossed. I can't put to much faith in that battery change over process. After all the stuff is solid state electronics and if it's that fragile where it can't take a power interruption without shitting itself it has no business being in a car.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Sometimes a low voltage from a battery slowly during can cause modules to spazz out, but leaving the battery disconnected overnight usually sorts it out.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 am Or could be as simple as a dodgy earth ? I’ve never had a correct diagnosis from a recovery guy, except when I told them exactly what the problem was before they started.
Funnily enough that's what my tuna thought, re: bad earth.

Either way, turns out alternator had seized completely. Removed the belt, starts and runs. Although a new alternator is £380 :shock: ...so getting mine refurbed instead.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Not a bad result. Is it in a position, like on the old MR2's, where it gets damp?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It's the first competitive event in the 'xie tomorrow, a daylight regularity 12 car event, superbly navigated by @JonMad. A first time at this kind of event for all of us ! We don't really know what we're doing but we start off with a bacon sandwich about 09:30, drive around Hampshire for a couple of hours attempting to stick to a schedule (it's not about being fast, it's about being on time), then end up at a pub just in time for lunch.

It all sounds like a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning 8-)
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:53 am Manual boxes have given me more grief than Autos. I mean needing a rebuild at 3yrs/40k isn't rgeat is it? But then it could be more a French vs German thing tbh. :lol:
My German gearbox lasted 16 years / 74k miles :D

Current state:

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:23 pm It's the first competitive event in the 'xie tomorrow, a daylight regularity 12 car event, superbly navigated by @JonMad. A first time at this kind of event for all of us ! We don't really know what we're doing but we start off with a bacon sandwich about 09:30, drive around Hampshire for a couple of hours attempting to stick to a schedule (it's not about being fast, it's about being on time), then end up at a pub just in time for lunch.

Do they time you from the front or rear bumper as this genuinely could make a difference 😂

Dave!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:23 pm It's the first competitive event in the 'xie tomorrow, a daylight regularity 12 car event, superbly navigated by @JonMad. A first time at this kind of event for all of us ! We don't really know what we're doing but we start off with a bacon sandwich about 09:30, drive around Hampshire for a couple of hours attempting to stick to a schedule (it's not about being fast, it's about being on time), then end up at a pub just in time for lunch.

Route superbly planned. Let’s see about ‘superbly navigated’ :lol:
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Well, I properly messed that up :lol:

Part way to collecting Jon, the exhaust suddenly got louder. Too loud. I pulled up near Blackbushe and jumped out, gashing my head on the quarter light.

The exhaust noise was a previous owner’s shocking bodge to the manifold. It was plastered in sealant and stuff, it turns out there was an actual hole that someone had filled over !!!

I’m back home and feeling a bit wobbly. Car is going to be off the road for a bit as I’m positive this will be a whole can of worms.

58067A23-AAFB-4290-A443-7056A47993A8.jpeg
58067A23-AAFB-4290-A443-7056A47993A8.jpeg (121.32 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jesus fucking Christ, I've done some bodge jobs, but that's the fucking manifold - just bite the bullet and replace it when you have the time. I mean, was the guy running it as his only car and need to get to work or something??? :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy completed journey from home to my dad's in Copenhagen without issue (about 500-something miles). Been spending my day charging round trying to get a Torx50 so I can take the seats out, as the little one vomited copiously as we were waiting for the ferry in Dover. :roll:
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm Galaxy completed journey from home to my dad's in Copenhagen without issue (about 500-something miles). Been spending my day charging round trying to get a Torx50 so I can take the seats out, as the little one vomited copiously as we were waiting for the ferry in Dover. :roll:
Lidl had chunky torx sets in last week but they might be gone by now. Worst case, any given Halfords will likely have them on a 3/8 socket as an individual piece?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm Galaxy completed journey from home to my dad's in Copenhagen without issue (about 500-something miles). Been spending my day charging round trying to get a Torx50 so I can take the seats out, as the little one vomited copiously as we were waiting for the ferry in Dover. :roll:
Child seat protectors!!!

We got some when Maxwell was born and they have been amazing. They have a small lip all around and it has saved wotzit vomit, sick and other liquids ejected from their bodies.

I’ll try and find the make as all the other ones I see don’t seem to catch the gunk, only protect the seat from damage.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@Beany did you miss the Copenhagen part? Found one and then realised my dad didn't have a ratchet big enough. All three back seats removed and cleaned (heavens above the dirt between the seats was awful). Carpet cleaned.

Kids seats also cleaned.

@V8Granite: have one on the littlest one's seat but thought we were okay with the boys as they're forward facing. She turned her head and managed to get it between the seats...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ah, I misread that and thought you were talking about having just completed the return journey to the UK - woops :lol:
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Had the cambelt/water pump changed on the gf's Beetle. Car drives absolutely fine, but, there is a bit of whirring noise that's more obvious at idle/off throttle. Garage says this is normal and is purely down to the new belt being tight, and that it will stop after a while.

Is this a normal occurance after a cambelt change? :? I've not had a car need one of these in ages...

Edit. Teh internetz consensus is that it shouldn't be doing this and the belt is probably too tight. If this is the case, is it easy enough to readjust?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Rear tyres are wearing down and almost on the marker, am browsing online for decent new ones and realise I am quibbling over price. Even if I went full sports with PS4s rather than a Kumho at £130 it is only £100 so 1 tank of fuel and with the lowish miles I am covering they should last well over a year! :oops: