Your fleet running reports

V8Granite

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:02 pm My only concerns would be that the little grubscrews holding the tubes in the ends might work loose with the movement and vibrations of the trailer.

I'd probably want to drill all the way through and use proper nuts and bolts.
Yep drill and bolt it. We had to peen over by the grub screw for our H+S guy when we fitted a load of that style guards when we were apprentices. We only used it to protect fuel pipes in the ground though we weren’t allowed to use it for hand rails etc.

I’d drill and bolt it.

Those tyres must be about 200kg or thereabouts ?

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:48 pm
drcarlos wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:42 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm Guy says it might last 6 months. I'm all for trying it out.
If it fills and slowly leaks away it's likely that it's the compressor shaft seal, they shrink when the system is not used and then leak. As the system is not running when fill it will hold the vacuum for the required time and then fill. Had this in my navara, needed a new compressor.
It’s a Porsche. The condensers are rotten.
They probably are but is it worth regassing and checking rather than replacing the units willy nilly? :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:14 pm
drcarlos wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:42 pm

If it fills and slowly leaks away it's likely that it's the compressor shaft seal, they shrink when the system is not used and then leak. As the system is not running when fill it will hold the vacuum for the required time and then fill. Had this in my navara, needed a new compressor.

They probably are but is it worth regassing and checking rather than replacing the units willy nilly? :D
Make sure they put the trace dye in so you can that it’s leaking from the condensers easily ;)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Been looking at a lot of Autotrader lately which is a sure sign the 300E's days are numbered. Sadly it's just not getting used and it's just deteriorating on the drive with no money to spend on it 😭

It probably isn't worth sorting the rusty arches before I sell, but at least the rest of the car is really pretty good 👍
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Some knobhead will buy it for eleventy pounds if you pitch the advert right. It's all in the game.

TBH no great loss? :mrgreen: You have a toy already.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:44 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Make sure they put the trace dye in so you can that it’s leaking from the condensers easily ;)
Thanks great advice
mik

Post by mik »

Found some photos (ie hard copy prints) of my late dad’s old ‘65 3.8 Manuel S-Type today. Delighted as I didn’t think I had any images of it!

Car was about 25yrs old when these were taken - just after he got it - as some are with the modern white/yellow plates as opposed to the black/silver ones I got him at his next birthday.

I was too young to get on the insurance for years, but after losing interest and taking it off road for 2-3 solar cycles he got it roadworthy for our wedding. We took it up North for a few days before we went off on foreign honeymoon - which was just awesome. Such an event to drive and people waved and flashed constantly. Detuned e-type engine with limited silencing - the XK straight6 makes a great range of sounds. Independent rear axle and 4-wheel disc brakes that the more desirable MkII didn’t have, so it was actually a better drive. Box was only a 4-speed, but separately activated overdrive on 3rd and 4th meant loads of shifting fun. Massive sliding Webasto roof was a rare option that added an extra element too.

He garaged it as soon as we got home - never drove it again - and it deteriorated badly without use. Clutch and brakes locked on, lots of rust coming through, and unloved leather developed some cracks. When he decided he wanted it no more I had no money or space to take it on - and it needed loads of work. If he’d offered it to me earlier I would have been in the same situation, so no point whining about what might have been - it just couldn’t have happened.

Look back with great fondness. 8-)

mik

Post by mik »

Things keep popping back to me - prompted by the photos.

About 6months into ownership we (my dad and I) had to pop to Halfrauds or B&Q or some other humdrum task, and took the Jag. We idly exited the bottom of the road and a feckin E-type came up the main road to follow directly behind us.

Chance meeting of two 25+yr old Jags must have been > eleventy squadillion to 1. I was pretty excited, but I thought my dad was about to empty his bladder over the seats.... he waved it past on the first available straight and the driver applied the appropriate level of beans as he howled past.

I can’t even remember what version it was or even be certain that it was a FHC as opposed to a ragtop, it was just such a ridiculously mental WTF moment. :shock:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cool story Mik 8-)
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Cheers. I know you don’t really exist, but I also know you have a stronng relationship with your (imaginary) dad. Soak it up whilst he’s still here dude. (That doesn’t read very positively, but it really was my intent).
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

That all ties together pretty perfectly 8-)
I'm happy for you that you found the photos and they bring back more memories than the ones you already had 8-)

Right, enough of that; going on Honeymoon in EMO :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Very cool memories 8-)

Dave!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Excellent 8-)
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Finally got the full 3 inch turbo back fitted to the Volvo today, it's a bit quieter than the standard system :lol:

It has made a bit of difference to how it pulls through the midrange and the top end. Also has seemingly improved MPG, on the instantaneous readout on the same bit of road pre and post change about 3mpg difference at 50mph on cruise which is an unexpected bonus.

Wish it made a bit of noise though, it makes a better noise, but a quieter one :oops:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Think it was Dave on here who said that 6 pointed sockets are what you need to stop rounding off corners. Well he’s fucking right.

Had quite a big project assembling a trailer, it had 200 M10 nuts and bolts to torque up to 92nm. My cheap Chinese 14 mm and 15 mm 6 pointed sockets gave up after about 60 bolts. Went to Halfords to buy their own lifetime guarantee range and bought a set for £20 - 12 pointed as that’s all they had.
Absolute rubbish the inner diameter of the 14mm was slightly larger so would just round the bolts. The 15mm was fine on the nut end but didn’t have enough grip, so I slipped a few times when working at awkward angles and blessed the trailer with quite a bit of my own blood.
Had enough and went out again to a local tool place, found a Draper 6 pointed set which works easily.
Why the fuck do 12 pointed sets exist?!
How about not having a sig at all?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thanks for sharing that with us Mik

Funny to think how today's equivalent 1995 X300 XJ will never be quite as striking
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nearly died today. Went out for a little drive as it was sunny. Top down, cruise through Chatsworth the world was good.

Stopped for fuel at Matlock and while paying the heavens opened and it hailed, hard. After putting up the top headed off through Matlock Bath the climb up to the A6.

Doing about 60 hit a river which had formed off a cliff. I literally had no control for 4 seconds and only by steering straight and not letting off the throttle managed not to crash big time.

Then it snowed.

All in all no good for my ticker.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Good skillz.

Had a great country lane 7/10ths blat in the Megane. Making subtle but reasonable progress with the Mrs in the passenger seat, only complaining about the bumpy ride. 5th gear enough to pull quickly out of some fairly tight bends, being helped round them by the LSD.
Left over crest; tightens.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Weather was better than expected so got the lights swapped over

Some twat trying to work out why the led sidelights they came with wouldn't work

Yellow candles

White slightly less candles

My first guess was far too low, quick fiddle and I think they're about right. Massively improved output and spread, just waiting on some led mains now.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:04 pm He garaged it as soon as we got home - never drove it again - and it deteriorated badly without use. Clutch and brakes locked on, lots of rust coming through, and unloved leather developed some cracks. When he decided he wanted it no more I had no money or space to take it on - and it needed loads of work. If he’d offered it to me earlier I would have been in the same situation, so no point whining about what might have been - it just couldn’t have happened.
Maybe it's just because I'm a car person, but my dads cars are always a key anchor point for loads of my memories. Unfortunately 80's Vauxhall Cavalier estates (with overdrive 5ths!) and Rover 214SEi's aren't quite as cool as a Jag!

Was the S-Type scrapped or sold?
Edit - sold I guess....last taxed in 2009 :(