Your fleet running reports

tim

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by tim »

Simon wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm Don't forget it's basically Honda Integra underneath. ;)
Exactly that. Simple engine with Honda stuff around it. I think I will probably keep it over winter at least, even if the Jag is done by then, because it'll likely be an easier drive if we get a dump of snow.

A/C even works, as does the sunroof. Hifi isn't awful, and has a CD player!
tim

Post by tim »

McSwede wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks Tim. That was a trip down memory lane thinking about our X308 😂😂

Good luck!
The issues aren't massive, but unfortunately it's an engine out job to do it properly. And I wanted it done properly as the rest of the car, beyond some minor cosmetic stuff, is mechanically really good.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

tim wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:33 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm Don't forget it's basically Honda Integra underneath. ;)
Exactly that. Simple engine with Honda stuff around it. I think I will probably keep it over winter at least, even if the Jag is done by then, because it'll likely be an easier drive if we get a dump of snow.

A/C even works, as does the sunroof. Hifi isn't awful, and has a CD player!

Bargainous mini-Jag 8-)
A clean and a white background next year, job's a good 'ne.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

tim wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13 am Hi Guyths, it's thme!!!

Today on the channel we're going to MOT my Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2!!! I'm here at my local garage where there's nobody around as they're putting some extra paper into the MOT printer and laughing a lot. Not sure why!!!

Hold on they're asking me to come into the pit under the Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2!!!! Not sure if I'm supposed to be able to see the Oatmeal Leather inside my Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 from the outside but this man is poking it with a metal probe and tutting a lot!! How rude!!!

So guyths, the news isn't good. The Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 has been bodge repaired by a previous owner, and the rust fairy has been hard at work in a number of places!!! Oh no!!!! Disaster!!!

But the good news is guyths, a new car will be joining the channel!! I have to go panic buy something this afternoon because now I can't get myself and my crew to my friend Bear-Collector's garage next week!! Oh no!!!! Stay tuned for the next video where I'll weirdly describe my entire day just in algorithm based keywords!!!

Don't worry Guyths, the Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 will return to the channel in a few weeks, once this nice man has taken the fucking engine out to fix up the structural rust!!! Oh well!!!

So, how was your weekend? :D
That's 2 of the forums cheap classics off the road in one weekend :shock: .

Having had the Civic that the 45 was based on, they aren't actually that bad to drive. They are dated but they wear well on the interior and look OK after lots of miles (which can't be said for a lot of cars that look great out of the factory but the soft touch or coloured stuff all wears badly and quickly). It's a shame it's only the 1.4 as the 2.5V6 was quite a character of an engine in the 45/ZS chassis.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

tim wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13 am Stay tuned for the next video where I'll weirdly describe my entire day just in algorithm based keywords!!!
Anyone coming to this forum for the first time might think you are actually him :lol: Brilliant.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Previa has been really boring, surprisingly economical and reliable-ish.

A few weeks ago, had a horrible grinding noise from the rear brakes, I was aware the pads were low, as was an MOT advisory 6 months ago, so had a good idea of what I thought it was. Dropped it off for a free brake test at a local branch of a large retail chain, to be told that there is 4mm pad life, no issues. I was aware the pads were low, as was an MOT advisory 6 months ago.
Shortly after we all catch CV19 and isolate again.

Got back in the car on Friday after isolation over and noticed as the noise did not go away, so decided to investigate on Saturday.
It was clear they had not removed all the wheels as one was stuck on solid and needed a bit of heat and a hammer to remove.
Secondly they had not checked all the pads as they missed one that was down to the metal, pictured top left:

Got some new pads from GSF and got them fitted this lunchtime, checked the sliders and pistons, all free, re-greased under the seals and cleaned all the clips/guides. Also cleaned up the faces (took a bit of scraping) so the wheels don't stick on again.

Ended up taking me 2 hours this lunch/afternoon as rain slowed progress and I had to take the car out for 10 minutes to get some heat to remove the wheels.
Of course the rain stopped after I finished.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am Is that from your GT3? :shock:
Yeah started whining in 5th (loud) and 6th (not as loud) a few months ago, so needing rebuild.

It’s also having a few upgrades done ‘whilst it’s there’: 996 Cup Final Drive, 996 turbo 6th gear, 997 RS 4.0 clutch, 964 RS single mass flywheel, pinning coolant hoses, new water pump, and a few new suspension parts etc

Look forward getting the car back. 8-)
Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 am I think a large number of those miles have been done on track ! The car has definitely been used properly.
The balk of the miles was done by the first owner, he did 26k miles in the first 18 months :shock: He owned a holiday park in north Wales and I think he used the car for commuting as the car came with comfort seats originally; the Recaro buckets were installed in 2009 at just under 40k miles, shortly before the first owner sold the car.

I did just 14k miles since I bought the car in Aug 18 :D so yeah it’s no garage queen.

I went to see the car on Friday and took a few photos:

Underside was remarkably clean which was great to see (helped by undertrays and no winter usage); coolant pipes still have stickers from 2004

Mezger

Photo from a few months back; scrubbed up well
mik

Post by mik »

8-) Nice upgrade list.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Quite the set of upgrades.

8-)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Maurice wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:42 pm Quite the set of upgrades.

8-)
Indeed, 8-)
Edit: interesting that a mix of 964, 996 & 997 parts go on it. What’s the thinking behind each change. Faster acceleration from the final drive or just a stronger unit? Shorter 6th gear from the Turbo or longer?
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Coaster1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 pm
It’s also having a few upgrades done ‘whilst it’s there’: 996 Cup Final Drive, 996 turbo 6th gear, 997 RS 4.0 clutch, 964 RS single mass flywheel, pinning coolant hoses, new water pump, and a few new suspension parts etc

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 pm

8-)
Indeed, 8-)
Edit: interesting that a mix of 964, 996 & 997 parts go on it. What’s the thinking behind each change. Faster acceleration from the final drive or just a stronger unit? Shorter 6th gear from the Turbo or longer?
My car still had the original clutch & flywheel, so with the gearbox out it was a good time to fit new items. Naturally I started looking for ‘the best parts’ because evonomic :D

My car is at Sports & Classic, they are THE one to go to RE Porsche gearboxes; owner Mike owns a 996.2 GT3 (with 3.8L conversion) as well. Anyway many of the 996 —> 7 GT3 parts are ‘evolution’ so:

997 RS 4.0 clutch - last of the line for the 6/7 GT3

964 RS single mass flywheel - 6.5kg lighter than dual mass; 997.2 RS is 1.3kg lighter still but Mike has seen stress fractures on those, possibly due the additional material that has been taken off, hence using 964 RS item

Cup final drive - I wasn’t sure about this at first as I was worried it might make the gearing too short for road use, so I reached out to a chap at 911UK forum, whose car had Cup Final Drive (and LWFW) fitted. I didn’t drive the car but from the passenger seat the car’s acceleration was electric; we did a couple 30-110 runs and I was like :o Drivability was perfectly fine too. I was sold.

996 turbo 6th gear - with Cup Final Drive, at 70 mph the engine speed is close to 4000 rpm (vs 2850 rpm standard), and it loses 80+ miles range on a full tank at long distance cruising, so Mike suggested fitting 996 turbo 6th gear (longer than standard GT3) to lower engine speed for cruising / improve range.

@Matty my friend Mark calls it ‘open wallet surgery’; beans on toast for me for the next few months!
mik

Post by mik »

Coaster1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm
JonMad wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 pm

8-)
Indeed, 8-)
I reached out to a chap at 911UK forum, whose car had Cup Final Drive (and LWFW) fitted. I didn’t drive the car but from the passenger seat the car’s acceleration was electric; we did a couple 30-110 runs and I was like :o Drivability was perfectly fine too. I was sold.
How epic is is that in this day and age you can connect to someone like that who has been there before you? 😎
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:23 pm
Coaster1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm I reached out to a chap at 911UK forum, whose car had Cup Final Drive (and LWFW) fitted. I didn’t drive the car but from the passenger seat the car’s acceleration was electric; we did a couple 30-110 runs and I was like :o Drivability was perfectly fine too. I was sold.
How epic is is that in this day and age you can connect to someone like that who has been there before you? 😎
It’s awesome isn’t it; imagine trying to do that pre-internet age, where would you start?

Nice friendly chap too, we ended up spending a couple of hours chatting cars and other things. And he has another special car in his garage 8-)

tim

Post by tim »

Mistral Metallic Maurice Jaguar XJ8 3.2 MOT Failure Edition

Hi guyths... oh fuck that.

So I parked it up on a trickle charger Saturday after I got Gerald the 45 home and I thought every few days until I can get it booked in I'll start it and warm it up.

Except it wouldn't today.

It kept turning over, the occaisonal brief attempt at firing but nothing. Now, the fuel pump on this is very noisy, and it often gurgles a lot when you turn on the ignition. Something I suspect is not entirely right with it, or the fuel delivery/return system, so it might be related to that. I don't have a fuel pressure tester (on it's way now) but what was probably 5/6 attempts at starting later it eventually burst into life, and settled into the usual creamy idle.

Pulling the power to the fuel pump had it faltering immediately, so pretty sure the fuel pressure had decayed and for some reason it wasn't able to fully get it up to pressure for a few goes enough to start.

I'll leave it again until Saturday and hook up the pressure tester and see what's what. Another thing for the list when it goes in.

Some kind of shitty blue Rover 45 Impression S 1.4i All Noise And No Go Edition

The 45 is running very well indeed. It's really tight, and even on shitty mis-matched tyres it's a good laugh to fling it about. It has no real performance of course, and just seems to make a louder noise when you press the throtttle further whilst maintaining the same glacial level of acceleration. I'm not even sure you can call it acceleration.

I got 105 out of it though, which was pretty decent. I've seen 160+ by the same point on my private test track in previous cars, so, lol.

I'm going to do a 50-100 video, I think I have a 2tb SD card somewhere.

Anyway. I've ordered a complete set of oil fuel air and pollen filters, a set of plugs and some oil, and I'm going to give it a service at the weekend. Oh and I ordered a new aerial and base as that's borked.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Coaster1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:32 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:53 am Manual boxes have given me more grief than Autos. I mean needing a rebuild at 3yrs/40k isn't rgeat is it? But then it could be more a French vs German thing tbh. :lol:
My German gearbox lasted 16 years / 74k miles :D

Current state:

Looks in a better state than I remember the Clios box looking when it was stripped :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You can borrow my throttlebodies and emerald ecu if you like Tim for even more noise and little performance benefit :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:42 pm You can borrow my throttlebodies and emerald ecu if you like Tim for even more noise and little performance benefit :lol:
Fucking DO IT.
tim

Post by tim »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:42 pm You can borrow my throttlebodies and emerald ecu if you like Tim for even more noise and little performance benefit :lol:
I keep having these flashbacks to when I had my Caterham post-Academy and doing all sorts of stuff to it. But that was a 1.6 and slightly less shit.

It would be amusing to put one of Dan's special engines in it, and do nothing else.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

So, the 928 has been at Strasse for a few weeks. As I mentioned before, it passed its MOT but it passed on the proviso the ABS was fixed. I sourced a new harness for the OSR as the one on there had been hacked around with. This didn't fix it but a new NSR sensor did. They've also sorted out some corroded brake and fuel lines, replaced a worn bush which was an MOT advisory and done a minor service which was due. It came back from a road test and the OSR shock decided it'd had enough of life and blew its oil everywhere, so that's two new shocks to add to the bill. I've a feeling this is going to be expensive.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.