Your fleet running reports

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:07 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 am I used winter tyres all year round on the Touareg. They were simply quieter and more comfortable. I’d like to get some on the Cayenne to replace the P-Zeros that seem extremely noisy.
I would quite happily have used the winters all year round on my CLS, and may do so on my Audi. I'm intending to replace them with Cross Climates or similar when they wear out.
I was under the impression winter tyres wore quickly when the weather improved?

TBH not sure I could be bothered having another set of wheels knocking about, not the mention the additional cost, just for a couple of months a year.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've got 4 sets of wheels just for the Volvo somehow 😂

Tempted to put a different one on each corner and see how long it takes for the wife to notice.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Speaking of tyres I cant say how impressed I am with the michelin pilot sport 4s s on the Boxster. We're currently near Filey and the roads are absolutely covered in field cack from tractors. Its also incredibly wet with standing water all over the place. These tyres are so much better than the supersports they replaced.

8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

16vCento wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:51 pm I've got 4 sets of wheels just for the Volvo somehow 😂

Tempted to put a different one on each corner and see how long it takes for the wife to notice.
If they're all the same colour, she won't.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:28 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:07 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 am I used winter tyres all year round on the Touareg. They were simply quieter and more comfortable. I’d like to get some on the Cayenne to replace the P-Zeros that seem extremely noisy.
I would quite happily have used the winters all year round on my CLS, and may do so on my Audi. I'm intending to replace them with Cross Climates or similar when they wear out.
I was under the impression winter tyres wore quickly when the weather improved?

TBH not sure I could be bothered having another set of wheels knocking about, not the mention the additional cost, just for a couple of months a year.
Didn’t seem to wear noticeably on the CLS in about 15k miles. That was on Pirelli Sottozeros.

They’re on for about 5 months if you leave them on from first to last frost.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've never used winter tyres. Despite growing up on a steep hill and regularly having driven in snow and ice, I've never felt the need. That's not to say they're not hugely better in such conditions, but if I can get around just fine without spending out on them then why would I do it?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I think of them as insurance against the unforeseen made worse by weather. If you need them and haven't got them, it is too late.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Simon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 pm I've never used winter tyres. Despite growing up on a steep hill and regularly having driven in snow and ice, I've never felt the need. That's not to say they're not hugely better in such conditions, but if I can get around just fine without spending out on them then why would I do it?
I'd recommend trying them if you get the chance.

I'm not sure that anyone has used winter tyres in the winter and then insisted summer tyres are better. Maybe MarkBT52 did. But you know what he's like :D
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've used them and thought they werent worth it. Most of us just don't have the weather to warrant them
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Where I live I've no choice if I want to use a car if it snows, I managed to get home in the beast from the east, and then go back out to rescue the wife from work, on our road of 5 houses, I was the only car that got back, and that was in the S60 on Crossclimates.

2 people had new AWD X Trails, and one person had a Discovery on 20inch summer tyres.

They make a massive difference if you live off the beaten track.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Been off work, had a free day so decided to pop into Caffine and Machine. Obviously quiet given it's a weekday, but well worth a visit - will definately look at going next summer during a peak time.

Blue Cayman GTS looked (and sounded) great.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Nice photo Matt.

I’ve never been to C&M but it’s not that far away - just feels like it might be a bit wanky. Is that the case?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Defender passed the MOT without issue.

The steering linkage boots and A-Frame ball joint boot is looking very tired though so really should replace them in the spring. I’m not looking forward to the linkages as they have never been off or adjusted in the 10 years I’ve owned it.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:38 am Nice photo Matt.

I’ve never been to C&M but it’s not that far away - just feels like it might be a bit wanky. Is that the case?
Never been either, always felt like it would be a bit of a pretentious knob fest, but plenty of people seem to like going so maybe it’s ok 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cheers, Harry
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I saw that and wondered if that was @GG.'s 911 next to you.

Questions as above :)
Left over crest; tightens.
John

Post by John »

This might not be a new thing but Euro Car Parts now have a link on their website to have your parts delivered to a local garage of your choice for fitting. I had front discs and pads fitted to the Vito yesterday using this and it was very easy. Normally I'd do it myself but given the forecast for the weekend I took the easy way out.
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:40 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:38 am Nice photo Matt.

Never been either, always felt like it would be a bit of a pretentious knob fest, but plenty of people seem to like going so maybe it’s ok 🤷🏻‍♂️
:lol: Yeah how was it Matt? You pretentious nob wanker.
dan

Post by dan »

Did a trackday in the S2000 at donington a couple of days ago. The freshly rebuilt engine performed beautifully although I was the second slowest car on the circuit, my mate in his 120hp elise was the slowest :lol:

It was fun but the car felt big and heavy compared to what i'm used to, managing the weight was the biggest issue. It feels super light and nimble on the road compared to my other halfs boxster but on track it felt like a big wallowy boat :lol:

Still managed 110 through craners though which is respectable enough.

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

dan wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:29 am Did a trackday in the S2000 at donington a couple of days ago. The freshly rebuilt engine performed beautifully although I was the second slowest car on the circuit, my mate in his 120hp elise was the slowest :lol:

It was fun but the car felt big and heavy compared to what i'm used to, managing the weight was the biggest issue. It feels super light and nimble on the road compared to my other halfs boxster but on track it felt like a big wallowy boat :lol:

Still managed 110 through craners though which is respectable enough.

It must be nearly 2x the weight with similar power to what you usually take. Looks like an excellent road car that can do the occasional trackday. You'd probably soon get bored of it if it was a pure trackday car that you were using as a daily. Having a stereo, comfy leather seats, decent heating and AC is needed for me (although the AC is a ?).

Anyway you caught that Golf in the video so it can't have been too bad.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Deciding whether to take some brave pills tonight. Visiting friends for the weekend in Doncaster (about 250 miles each way) and with the weather forecast saying it won't exactly be clear I have a choice of the TVR (still nursing a water weep from the bottom rad hose I've just stuck an extra new clip on to try and stop) or the safer and much more boring L200 Auto.
Benefit of taking the TVR is that it get it's first real long drive (100 miles is the most I've done to date) and that I get to go to my mates garage with it and get it on the ramp again, use a pressure tester to confirm that it's just the bottom hose joint weeping (but if the new second clip hasn't worked I'm not sure what to do about it).