Your fleet running reports

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by JonMad »

Coaster1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:32 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:53 am Manual boxes have given me more grief than Autos. I mean needing a rebuild at 3yrs/40k isn't rgeat is it? But then it could be more a French vs German thing tbh. :lol:
My German gearbox lasted 16 years / 74k miles :D
Is that from your GT3? :shock:
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I think a large number of those miles have been done on track ! The car has definitely been used properly.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:17 pm
@V8Granite: have one on the littlest one's seat but thought we were okay with the boys as they're forward facing. She turned her head and managed to get it between the seats...
Mine are staying in till they are in their mid 20s.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Alex88 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 pm Had the cambelt/water pump changed on the gf's Beetle. Car drives absolutely fine, but, there is a bit of whirring noise that's more obvious at idle/off throttle. Garage says this is normal and is purely down to the new belt being tight, and that it will stop after a while.

Is this a normal occurance after a cambelt change? :? I've not had a car need one of these in ages...

Edit. Teh internetz consensus is that it shouldn't be doing this and the belt is probably too tight. If this is the case, is it easy enough to readjust?
Is it an auto tensioner or manual ?

None of the cambelt I’ve changed have ever whined, maybe all the associated pulleys weren’t changed at the same time ?

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:48 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:17 pm
@V8Granite: have one on the littlest one's seat but thought we were okay with the boys as they're forward facing. She turned her head and managed to get it between the seats...
Mine are staying in till they are in their mid 20s.

Dave!
Sensible as always!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:58 am
Alex88 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 pm Had the cambelt/water pump changed on the gf's Beetle. Car drives absolutely fine, but, there is a bit of whirring noise that's more obvious at idle/off throttle. Garage says this is normal and is purely down to the new belt being tight, and that it will stop after a while.

Is this a normal occurance after a cambelt change? :? I've not had a car need one of these in ages...

Edit. Teh internetz consensus is that it shouldn't be doing this and the belt is probably too tight. If this is the case, is it easy enough to readjust?
Is it an auto tensioner or manual ?

None of the cambelt I’ve changed have ever whined, maybe all the associated pulleys weren’t changed at the same time ?

Dave!
Tbh I'm really not sure.. I'm not very technical :lol: they only did the cambelt/water pump.

It's a 2008 1.6 8V. I'm sure the garage said that it works on a spring loaded tension? Or something along those lines.

I'm a little concerned about it :? It's been a cracking car, so don't want anything shitting itself, especially if it could have been avoided. They're taking it back in on Friday to have a butchers at it.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm Galaxy completed journey from home to my dad's in Copenhagen without issue (about 500-something miles). Been spending my day charging round trying to get a Torx50 so I can take the seats out, as the little one vomited copiously as we were waiting for the ferry in Dover. :roll:
Sometimes it's just easier to scrap the car...
Banal Vapid Platitudes
tim

Post by tim »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:49 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm Galaxy completed journey from home to my dad's in Copenhagen without issue (about 500-something miles). Been spending my day charging round trying to get a Torx50 so I can take the seats out, as the little one vomited copiously as we were waiting for the ferry in Dover. :roll:
Yikes.

My daughter once vommed from the back seat so hard it sprayed across the inside of the windscreen/dash/vents. In the middle of France. Then I made myself ill steam cleaning out the vents once we got home.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Finding a RHD Galaxy-or-similar in Denmark won't be that easy...
---
tim

Post by tim »

Hi Guyths, it's thme!!!

Today on the channel we're going to MOT my Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2!!! I'm here at my local garage where there's nobody around as they're putting some extra paper into the MOT printer and laughing a lot. Not sure why!!!

Hold on they're asking me to come into the pit under the Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2!!!! Not sure if I'm supposed to be able to see the Oatmeal Leather inside my Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 from the outside but this man is poking it with a metal probe and tutting a lot!! How rude!!!

So guyths, the news isn't good. The Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 has been bodge repaired by a previous owner, and the rust fairy has been hard at work in a number of places!!! Oh no!!!! Disaster!!!

But the good news is guyths, a new car will be joining the channel!! I have to go panic buy something this afternoon because now I can't get myself and my crew to my friend Bear-Collector's garage next week!! Oh no!!!! Stay tuned for the next video where I'll weirdly describe my entire day just in algorithm based keywords!!!

Don't worry Guyths, the Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 will return to the channel in a few weeks, once this nice man has taken the fucking engine out to fix up the structural rust!!! Oh well!!!

So, how was your weekend? :D
mik

Post by mik »

I think I am now fully allergic to shmee - I cringed even reading that.
tim

Post by tim »

With a condemned from the road Jag and no other way of getting the kids around I really did have to source and buy a car on a Saturday afternoon. I thought about just hiring the cheapest car I could find but even that is getting for £30/day and with an unknown timescale for getting the Jag booked in and fully fixed up that was potentially ruinous.

The cheapest local cars on Autotrader were a purple 04 Micra for £500 with 11 months ticket, but they weren't answering the phone (I had thoughts about giving this to our 19 year old once I was done with it - ideal first car), or a Fiesta 1.6 Ghia for £600. I called them up but the bloke was utterly clueless (it was his Grandson's car) and then blurted out, oh it still has an insurance black-box fitted. So no.

Gumtree was full of absolute shit.

Facebook marketplace is often a decent source, but you have to filter through a lot of absolute crud to find the hidden gems. About 5 pages in I found this, advertised for £595:

A 20 year old Rover 45 Impression S 1.4i, no less. MOT until April 2022, photos were not great, but a check revealed it had never failed an MOT or had any advisorys beyond tyre wear in all that time. It was at a small dealer in Wroxham. He was about the shut up shop but I explained the situation and he agreed to hang around while I rode over there on my bike.

It's in pretty good condition for the year, last owner since 2010. No obvious rust, tight as a drum to drive and a gloriously velour interior with only the door cards peeling away a bit to give away it's age. It also had a full to the brim tank of fuel!

Perfect for the job, and should be easy to move on for similar money when I'm done with it. Sale done.

By now it was 3pm and I'm 45 mins ride from home, with a car at a closed dealership that I can't physically drive home. Thankfully a mate came to my rescue, got a lift over and drove it home for me. Insurance cost me £3.75 to change lol. Tax and registraton done online while I was waiting.

Here's a couple more pics. I know you will all think it's absolite shite, but I'm quite endeared by it to be honest. :)

Beany

Post by Beany »

FB joshing aside, I like it. As a few hundred quid runabout you could do far worse.
mik

Post by mik »

If I understood what “chod” meant properly, I might shout it now.

That looks awful. 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Don't forget it's basically Honda Integra underneath. ;)

Those things are comfy as anything. At shed money it's a good buy too.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

The exterior has dated very well, which I suppose it partly due to Rovers always looking dated to begin with.

The interior has not aged well at all but it's a good shout for however long the Jaaag is unavailable for.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 am
Finding a RHD Galaxy-or-similar in Denmark won't be that easy...
Public transport is really good in Denmark. Just send the family back via DHL and buy Tim's Rover when he's done with it.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Hmmm... I'll think about it.
---
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

As emergency local purchases go that's a result. Not least if it has £50+ worth of fuel in it.
jimmy wrote: The exterior has dated very well, which I suppose it partly due to Rovers always looking dated to begin with.
:lol:
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

tim wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13 am Hi Guyths, it's thme!!!

Today on the channel we're going to MOT my Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2!!! I'm here at my local garage where there's nobody around as they're putting some extra paper into the MOT printer and laughing a lot. Not sure why!!!

Hold on they're asking me to come into the pit under the Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2!!!! Not sure if I'm supposed to be able to see the Oatmeal Leather inside my Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 from the outside but this man is poking it with a metal probe and tutting a lot!! How rude!!!

So guyths, the news isn't good. The Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 has been bodge repaired by a previous owner, and the rust fairy has been hard at work in a number of places!!! Oh no!!!! Disaster!!!

But the good news is guyths, a new car will be joining the channel!! I have to go panic buy something this afternoon because now I can't get myself and my crew to my friend Bear-Collector's garage next week!! Oh no!!!! Stay tuned for the next video where I'll weirdly describe my entire day just in algorithm based keywords!!!

Don't worry Guyths, the Mistral Metallic Jaguar XJ8 3.2 will return to the channel in a few weeks, once this nice man has taken the fucking engine out to fix up the structural rust!!! Oh well!!!

So, how was your weekend? :D
Thanks Tim. That was a trip down memory lane thinking about our X308 😂😂

Good luck!