Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by 16vCento »

If you send me your VIN edit: Reg will do- I'll have a look for you 👍
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:21 pm
16vCento wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:05 pm If you know anyone with an account try FPS, they do reconditioned ones at decent prices.
Cheers - is there anywhere I can check out the prices at least?
eBay ??? When the rack failed on the Cayenne, a refurb / exchange was £200-£300. Brand new is crazy £££££s.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I did some digging at lunch. ZF no longer list them as a new part, just a TRW branded recon unit, which you can get for <£400. It would be interesting to see what BMW are actually selling at £1200+ - new old stock or recon units that retail for <1/3 elsewhere.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s not the worst job in the world, I’d probably just stick a not leaking £100 eBay rack on and see what happens, send yours off for a refurb if using a used rack gives you the fear.
Cheers, Harry
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

JonMad wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm That's a useful saving. Do you notice it while driving ?
I've only done the one side so far :lol:
Ran out of time earlier. Will report back when I'm fully done.
Turns out I can notice lighter steering, more of a keenness about things, possibly slightly more urgent acceleration (these things are relative).
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

4C hasn't moved for two weeks; weather has been mild and it's been left before without an issue...still, it had been on the CTEK for 2 hours prior to a trip to make sure it had enough to crank. Went upto the 4th light, which indicated at least 80% charge.

But after two weak attempts to crank...it died. Not enough enough juice to drop the window so I couldn't close the door. Interestingly enough once I reconnected the charger (before it was turned on at the mains) the lights came back on and the window dropped....strange, unless that was a bit of residual juice in the charger.

Hooked it back up and left for 6 hours, CTEK reports it's healty and fully charged. I'm not conviced the battery is the issue, especially as it's only 18 month old but I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm off to Alfaworks on Thursday, so it needs to be fit the 2 hour slog down the M6 to Herts!
Matty

Post by Matty »

CTEK reports battery is healthy....moves to 7th light (fully charged, no errors), except this suggests otherwise:

It's usually a good idea when buying a decent charger to avoid dead batteries to actually connect it up now and again.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m not sure how chargers figure out the battery health but I’ve found them to be telling porkies like that before. I’ve been told the only way to actually test battery health is by using one of those old school load testers which actually puts a few hundred amps through them.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I managed to resurrect my battery with a USB jump starter. Ran it for a bit then put the CTEK back on and left it.
If I have the CTEK off for a week without running it then mine struggles to start.
Left over crest; tightens.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I have an in-line fused current tester. It tells you what current any circuits are pulling. Plug it in with the ignition off and see if any circuits are pulling much current.

If you have say 75ah battery then that will be a true 40ah of 12v power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TA120- ... 614&sr=8-2

If the battery doesn’t have a high draw on it then unless it’s tiny then you shouldn’t have any problems at all. A week is far too short.

Dave!
John

Post by John »

I think a flat battery would take quite a bit longer than six hours to recover to a full charge on a CTEK, I'd ignore the lights and give it a good 24hr charge before you start trouble shooting elsewhere.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Well, it wasn't the battery. Swapped it out and still exactly the same. I'm told it's the transmission control unit....if there's one argument against the continuing domination of the auto box.....it's that I've never had a manual gearbox fail in all my car owning years. I've owned two autos, and both have shit their biscuits under my tenure.
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pms I've owned two autos, and both have shit their biscuits under my tenure.
VIVE LE MANUEL REVOLUTION! 8-)
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've had 5 Autos and they've all been *touches all available wood* spot on.

Even the ones that had a supposedly unreliable gearbox and I put a LOT more power through them than they were designed for.

I've blown up more than 3 manual gearboxes, 2 of them in the Saxo, but the Saxo did rev a lot higher than it should have done after being played with, and I caned the fuck out of it, which probably didn't help 😂

The Bravo had 2 gearboxes in it, but they were notorious for being shit, and being mapped definitely didn't help that situation.

Can you send it off to anyone like BBA reman to get it refurbed?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Auto gearboxes scare me, just because I don’t *completely* understand how they work. Never had one totally let go on me but I’ve had a couple that were definitely on their last legs.

The (manual) gearbox in the Scimitar needed a rebuild as it was whining a lot but I don’t mind chalking that up to 50 years of normal wear & tear !
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Manual boxes have given me more grief than Autos. I mean needing a rebuild at 3yrs/40k isn't rgeat is it? But then it could be more a French vs German thing tbh. :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Bugger.
Apparently both the rear studs and the rear hubs are no longer manufactured by anyone. The garage has found one that they hope will fit from an alloy wheel supplier but we'll have to see.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

You need
1. A scrappy
2. A BFH
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Matty wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm Well, it wasn't the battery. Swapped it out and still exactly the same. I'm told it's the transmission control unit....if there's one argument against the continuing domination of the auto box.....it's that I've never had a manual gearbox fail in all my car owning years. I've owned two autos, and both have shit their biscuits under my tenure.
When you changed it did you go through all of the OBD backup palava or just swap it out?

Not sure if this guy is the sort of guy that takes his car to the garage for everything or if all that stuff is needed.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Zoe passed its MOT without issue. Tester asked that I leave the engine running when i dropped it off, so I pointed out it was electric.

Cryptic advisory about a "lower" that, if I understand what was written prevents "full inspetcion" (sic).

Done about four thousand miles since February and it has been mostly faultless (only the odd self-correcting electrical niggles with the ICE/Nav).

It needs a service, so that's scheduled with Renault for a couple of weeks from now. Just a filter service, although they wanted to charge £175 for replacing the 12v battery as well. I politely declined.

I'm on the lookout for a set of wheels to put winters on as it does more miles than the Galaxy. Annoyingly I missed out (because I was too lazy) on a full set of original OEM wheels without tyres up for about £110 on that auction site. Will do something about it properly after half term, as we're away.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away