Your fleet running reports

drcarlos

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by drcarlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:45 am I did wonder whether it could be a/c gas. No sign of any sheen this morning on the driveway, even though it was still damp.

I'd be miffed if it is a strut though as they're only about 20k mi old.
Coolant washing some oily residue off the block? Had this with my old Navara.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Carlos wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 pm The Petrol God's have shunned me for teasing people in the queues :(

I ran the i3 today on petrol to hold state of charge as I haven't run the motor for over a month and the CEL has come on :roll:

I'll buy an Aldi code reader but the internet suggests that there will be no code and it will go off itself as it's solely down to the motor not being run enough.
As hoped the CEL has gone off on its own after using the REx and topping up with fresh fuel.

I assume the motor hasn't been run for a while and the fuel was stale.

We are using it far more than I expected 😎
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Well my B service came to the princely sum of £155! :D Turned out the sensor was pinging to say the sensor was faulty so a nice cheap fix and rest of the stuff was things I had had done whilst getting the flap motor done and new rear brakes etc so fairly happy. All ready for the trip to Merc dealer today for an airbag recall and a trip to Fort William on Sunday.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Carlos wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm
Carlos wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 pm The Petrol God's have shunned me for teasing people in the queues :(

I ran the i3 today on petrol to hold state of charge as I haven't run the motor for over a month and the CEL has come on :roll:

I'll buy an Aldi code reader but the internet suggests that there will be no code and it will go off itself as it's solely down to the motor not being run enough.
As hoped the CEL has gone off on its own after using the REx and topping up with fresh fuel.

Father in laws Outlander PHEV forces the engine to be run periodically for several hundred miles (to use the fuel in the tank at the time) to make sure that stale fuel is not an issue, doesn't throw a CEL, you get a message to tell you what is going on though. I guess you got caught by bad timing.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:42 am
Carlos wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Father in laws Outlander PHEV forces the engine to be run periodically for several hundred miles (to use the fuel in the tank at the time) to make sure that stale fuel is not an issue, doesn't throw a CEL, you get a message to tell you what is going on though. I guess you got caught by bad timing.
The i3 does have an automatic maintenance cycle but it will only function if there is at least half a tank of petrol and the battery is below 75% state of charge.

Also the fuel tank is pressurised to slow down the deterioration of the petrol and there's a button under the dash to vent the tank which can take a minute before the dashboard indicates it safe to refuel !

Its a bit of a geeks car as these things aren't clear even when you read the manual as its something like 300 pages long.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Pepperpots on.
1.8kg lighter per corner.
Not white but I quite like it
2021-10-07 13.46.54 copy.jpg
2021-10-07 13.46.54 copy.jpg (224.88 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

That's a useful saving. Do you notice it while driving ?
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm That's a useful saving. Do you notice it while driving ?
I've only done the one side so far :lol:
Ran out of time earlier. Will report back when I'm fully done.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm That's a useful saving. Do you notice it while driving ?
I've only done the one side so far :lol:
Ran out of time earlier. Will report back when I'm fully done.
Even better - you can do a left turn/right turn back to back comparison. I’m sure your insurance co will be happy if it’s only for a short while ;)
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

I'll get on it :D
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

So I've had a mooch about as best I can without getting the car on the axles stands.

I reckon it's PAS fluid. Either a build-up on the undertray from the "misting" the indy pointed out a while ago (they said they woulnd't bother replacing the rack as it wasn't that bad) or it's a newer, more vigorous leak. I've checked the level and it needs a top up - I had a listen in traffic yesterday without any music on for a change and yep, that's a noisy pump.

So CHF ordered and will try and find my turkey baster to siphon out as much of what's left in the header as I can, before topping up. THen if I get chance at any point soon I'll try and get underneath to see if it's the rack itself or a weep from one of the pipes. The crush washers seem like a common place to leak from.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Forgot to say, a massive thank you to @Sundayjumper for picking up my new wheels on the way back from picking up his Galaxie. Saved me a long trip.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

M140i will be gone in 3-4 weeks as my 330e will be here w/c 8th Nov. Bloody typical that it needs a big service before then at £560 😂
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

JonMad wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:25 pm Pepperpots on.
8-)

I'm not sure what suspension mods you're allowed (or if you've got adjustable top mounts) but these tweaks may be of interest;
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... dad-wagon/
https://wiki.a2-freun.de/wiki/index.php ... orderachse
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:01 pm
JonMad wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:25 pm Pepperpots on.
8-)

I'm not sure what suspension mods you're allowed (or if you've got adjustable top mounts) but these tweaks may be of interest;
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... dad-wagon/
https://wiki.a2-freun.de/wiki/index.php ... orderachse
looks interesting but he lost me at 'ball joint taper'
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Not sure what he means there but I think it's ultimately irrelevant because it only applies to the TT hubs that don't work properly. I couldn't a finished pic or info with the S1 hubs fitted either, just for TTRS balljoints, but they on their own can increase the -ve camber to -1.5° and +5° caster. The geo print for the Fabia estate is with the TTRS 'joints, there's a little more info here https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... -x-project
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Wife’s MINI is starting to make a bit of a clonking noise from the front suspension.

Put it on the list…..
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:23 pm So I've had a mooch about as best I can without getting the car on the axles stands.
Had another look yesterday given the weather was decent. No need to get it on stands as all the key parts of the rack are visible on the nearside between wing and block. It is the rack that's leaking, from the top just below the joint with the lower column. Bums. New racks are well north of £1000.

So it will get left most likely. I'm going to have a look about to see if there are any rebuild kits, but an initial search last night showed very little coming up.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

If you know anyone with an account try FPS, they do reconditioned ones at decent prices.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

16vCento wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:05 pm If you know anyone with an account try FPS, they do reconditioned ones at decent prices.
Cheers - is there anywhere I can check out the prices at least?