Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 pm
Nathan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 pm You didn't really have any intention to buy that?
Yeah, it’s not even silver. Pull the other one, SJ.
Heh. I do like the idea of something like that, just for the absurdity, but it didn't really grab me in the flesh. Good Top Trumps material though: despite being discontinued in 2005, the Ford Excursion is still the largest & heaviest production SUV ever sold. It IS the Canyonero :D

I've had 4x4s and SUVs in the past, and those with a very long memory might remember I once had a Fairlane, so it's not completely out of keeping.

That one is a 6.8 litre petrol V10. Similar power to my Touareg but quite a lot less torque, in a much bigger & heavier car. I'm slightly obsessed with torque these days. Future Touareg replacement needs to have more, not less.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:44 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 pm
Nathan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 pm You didn't really have any intention to buy that?
Yeah, it’s not even silver. Pull the other one, SJ.
Heh. I do like the idea of something like that, just for the absurdity, but it didn't really grab me in the flesh. Good Top Trumps material though: despite being discontinued in 2005, the Ford Excursion is still the largest & heaviest production SUV ever sold. It IS the Canyonero :D

I've had 4x4s and SUVs in the past, and those with a very long memory might remember I once had a Fairlane, so it's not completely out of keeping.

That one is a 6.8 litre petrol V10. Similar power to my Touareg but quite a lot less torque, in a much bigger & heavier car. I'm slightly obsessed with torque these days. Future Touareg replacement needs to have more, not less.
Do a Hoovie and get the 7.3L diesel?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

A lot more expensive. I don't know how he got that one so cheap, they're close to $20k for a decent non-rotten one.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:06 pm A lot more expensive. I don't know how he got that one so cheap, they're close to $20k for a decent non-rotten one.
That's what he said too. Who needs a boat like that anyway?
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

And in fact, having checked, the 7.3 Powerstroke has less power *and* less torque than my Touareg ! 250 & 525. Despite having almost 50% more capacity. Understressed, I hope.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:12 pm Who needs a boat like that anyway?
Need or want ???
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Well that's out the window then.
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The F150 is over 600lb-ft, goes like hot shit, easily out drags me whenever I’m in the 6 series on the motorway up to 100.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Chipped I assume ? Touareg will go to 700+ no problem with a remap.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes, it was just a detuned Raptor engine back then so big gains for not much money.
How about not having a sig at all?
_andy

Post by _andy »

The Smart car sold for asking price a couple of weeks back after relisting it on eBay as a classified, buyer paid cash and seemed happy with the purchase, I hope it treats him well. Not much to say about it in terms of the EOTR, it served a purpose but the iQ (which is only one generation newer) really shows it up, and I won't miss its super crappy gearbox, how that abortion was ever signed off I do not know.

In Honda news I've been looking around for seats to replace the slightly manky and unsupportive ones it came with. Initially I wanted a couple of the Recaro DC2 Integra seats but missed out on a pair in black for £500, and ever since when they do come up for sale they seem to cost that much for one. Add in £200 for some Teg seat runners to suit (they bolt straight in to the Civic) and I decided its not worth it.

So, the next plan was to pick up a single Recaro SPG or Pole Position fixed seat, but the scene tax is strong and 20+ year old ones were going for a good percentage of what a new one costs, so I fucked that off too and started to look further down the food chain. A Sparco Alpha popped up on the bay and I managed to get it for £128, bargain. I realised afterwards it was a bloater spec seat (wider) but its not actually too bad, I must have put some weight on during lockdown :( I threw it in the car on Saturday using some Buddy Club Civic specific slider mounts and am reasonably happy with it. I need to sort the seatbelt out as I'm still using the three point belt, and I'd like to try and get it lower, but it'll do for now.

On Sunday I took the car out for it's first proper drive since purchase, and I have to say I really enjoyed it :mrgreen: There's a few issues - something in the suspension is squeaking, the brakes have a bit of a squeal (might be EXTREME track pads) and the rev counter goes round but bears no resemblance to the actual engine speed, however there was nothing disastrous. The exhaust is also a bit loud, or I might be a bit old, or both. I managed to do proper heel and toe downshifts in it, which I've never pulled off before in any other car, weird. Driving impressions are that the steering doesn't have a ton of feel (I may yet go for a smaller wheel) and it is not fast, but is fast enough - things don't happen so quickly that you struggle to keep up, unlike the Spazda which is really a bit much on the road for my skill level.

Future plans may still involve a turbo, but for now I'm going to give it a full service, change all the fluids, etc. and look to fit some gauges - water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure, but I'm struggling to find any I like that aren't £300 a piece Stack ones. In keeping with the attempt at keeping to a budget I may try and hack something together using an Arduino.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Looks sweet, that. Is it one of those where the engine revs to 8k or something?
Left over crest; tightens.
_andy

Post by _andy »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 pm Looks sweet, that. Is it one of those where the engine revs to 8k or something?
Thanks, you can't see the rust or 4 months of road parked filth on it in the pics :lol:

According to Wikipedia the B16A2 (wot this has) makes 160bhp @ 7600rpm, but revs out to 8200, the real madman is the B16B which was in the original Civic Type R which makes 182bhp @ 8000, and revs to 9000. I cut my teeth on 400cc bikes with redlines in the mid-teens so I'm well up to speed on beating the piss out of it :)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

I still love that Andy 😁

Going back some time I persuaded my mum she needed an EK9 1.6 VTI and she got one. When it eventually got sold some Irish chaps took it to convert into a rally car. Stating the obvious, but it was a brilliant engine.
_andy

Post by _andy »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm
Going back some time I persuaded my mum she needed an EK9 1.6 VTI and she got one. When it eventually got sold some Irish chaps took it to convert into a rally car. Stating the obvious, but it was a brilliant engine.
Excellent 8-) I was stuck with a succession of diesel Astras as a kid :(

Vti's are fairly rare, Honda apparently sold more EK9 CTR's.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

_andy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:39 pm
speedingfine wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm
Excellent 8-) I was stuck with a succession of diesel Astras as a kid :(

Vti's are fairly rare, Honda apparently sold more EK9 CTR's.
It was obviously fairly formative, I had an ITR for a bit as well 😬 Didn't know the VTIs were rare... It was a VTI-S if memory serves, though I think that was just more equipment.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Showing my age but tested a VTi new to have as company car - felt quick in the mid 90s

On the back of this - who remembers the aero decks? Good little read https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 816690&i=0
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:52 pm Showing my age but tested a VTi new to have as company car - felt quick in the mid 90s

On the back of this - who remembers the aero decks? Good little read https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 816690&i=0
Aerodecks are kooooool 8-)

Shame about the rust for all Hondas from that age.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:52 pm Showing my age but tested a VTi new to have as company car - felt quick in the mid 90s

Cheers good read👌 340bhp would be entertaining!

Another tasty Civic -
https ://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h ... &t=1781776
Nic

Post by Nic »

Wheels need a proper refurb so told him to leave them but you can see the benefits of a proper detail, especially if you’re looking to add value to a car IMO.