Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by JonMad »

Wow, that's immense (in all senses)
My parents have a Citroen Picasso and the in-laws a Kia Venga. FML
Left over crest; tightens.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Dad’s always been a petrolhead - no surprises where I got it from. The fact that I’ve memorised the below tells you all you need to know... He left school at 16 with ‘two O levels’ - no silver spoons here.

His car/bike history - excluding all the 4x4s (so far as i can remember and to the extent anyone cares) was as follows:

Yamaha fizzy FS1E

Volkswagen Beetle (apparently bought with a slipping clutch and sold with one several years later and remembered for having windscreen washer delivered by a ‘rubber tit’ as he inimitably puts it...) and in between driving my late grandad’s rover at 100(!) down the bypass - maybe a P6?

Ford Capri - 1.6 or 1.8 not sure

Ford Capri - 3.0 (brilliant for spinning up its wheels and laying 20 foot elevens apparently!)

E30 325i in henna red (not sure that was it’s official colour but how he describes it)

E30 M3... except he paid the deposit to a grey market importer... which disappeared. Idiot!

But... white 928 S2 the year I was born. Epic.

Followed by two more. A blue S4 manual which set on fire in a Safeway car park. Don’t have a muppet wire in 1990s car phones! And a red S4 GT. The cars of my childhood.

Followed by the midlife crisis bikes - a Harley Davidson - Soft tail I think - had an armchair on the back...

Then a ZZR 1100. Proper. Scared himself to death - thought of his young kids and sold it.

The doldrum years - swapped the 928 for a CLK 320 with an AMG body kit. I hated it. A sell out to my love of porsches. Plastic merc tat.

Then nothing for a while...

I grew up... nagged him and he bought an early 997 Carrera S.

Sold that as used it very infrequently (essentially more a front engined GT guy) and bought a 987 2.7 which I used more than him. Drove it to Italy with my then girlfriend. Needless to say that got under my skin as a 20 year old...

Sold that and again nothing interesting for a while..

Then a DB9 completely out of the blue which he surprised me with when I drove home to see them. Blew my socks off. Gorgeous and the first V12 I’d driven. I got married in it at Chelsea Registry Office on the King’s Road.

Next came the Maser... what a noise - interestingly I never drove it. I expect because I knew the ‘box was shit and it would never drive as good as it looked /sounded. Maybe I just never got round to it... I should have...

Then the FF. I’m genuinely itching to have a go in it. An engine that’s a derivation of that in the Enzo and shared with the LaFerrari. What more can you say??
mik

Post by mik »

Quite a list GG 8-)

Your dad’s 928 period sounds like it coincided with my dads Austin Ambassador period. ;)

Would be keen to know where it slots in to the 60-100 challenge.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

On a slightly less interesting note, I've fitted the third radio to the Galaxy. Everything works, so just remains to be seen if it has cured the issue.

It really isn't very difficult at all. 10-15 minutes start to finish to fit it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Henna red is a proper bmw e30 colour, it’s a slightly orangey red, brilliant red is a true bright red, zinnobar red is a deeper blood red.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:44 am Henna red is a proper bmw e30 colour, it’s a slightly orangey red, brilliant red is a true bright red, zinnobar red is a deeper blood red.
they all end up pink though! 😃
GG.

Post by GG. »

Maybe I’m getting confused in that case - I seem to remember the pics of the 325 being more like a true red. Perhaps it was the E30 M3 he ordered but never received that was Henna.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

That looks great in black.

I parked next to a GT4C a while back (pre-facelift FF?) and they are indeed, huge. She was parked right up against the boards at the back and still poked out past the space. Lovely looking things in the metal

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, henna was used on m3s, I think it replaced zinnobar in late ‘89, pretty sure one of the evos or special editions was henna red, the sport evo was brilliant red.
Cheers, Harry
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Got the bolts out 👍

Ground the heads off with a dremel.

Can see why it didn't undo... :mrgreen: There may have been some water in the car at some point :shock:

Just got to clean the carpets (bought a drill brush, exciting stuff), check for any other leaks and find replacement captive nut plates like these:

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Possible breakthrough on the Cayenne 8-)

I whipped the cam cover off bank 1 this morning and checked the timing - it turns out the exhaust cam was miles off. I think it had jumped a tooth somehow. Put it all back together and - so far - no errors. No hesitation starting. And watching the live data, when revving the engine, the cam timing changes far quicker than it did before. Seems promising. I’ll go for a longer run later. With any luck it might even improve the fuel consumption.

I’m not sure how the ECU could tell something was wrong though. It doesn’t directly read the exhaust cam position, only the inlet cam, and that one was OK. Weird. Or very clever. Probably the latter tbf.

The seller was adamant it needed a new cam chain. Fitting a new chain would obviously involve setting the timing again and would indeed have cured it; at a price. It’s either an engine-out job or means dismantling the entire front of the car to get at it. The internet reckons it’s about 15 hours’ labour plus parts. I spent £70 on the timing tools and a few hours of my time. If this has cured it I might have to look out for a cheap nice Turbo that “needs a new timing chain” !
Simon

Post by Simon »

Could the chain have stretched though? That and a worn tensioner could allow the chain to jump a tooth.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It’s done 120k miles so no doubt it’s worn to some extent but it sits snugly on the sprockets and doesn’t make any kind of rattling noises in use so I don’t think it’s chronically worn. As to how it ended up out of sync, who knows ? I should probably take a look at the tensioner, easy enough. If it’s a combination of worn chain / weak tensioner then it’ll do it again some time and I’ll be no worse off than I was yesterday. If it doesn’t, then I’ve won :D

I’ll post an updated cost breakdown later. I think I’m only just over £6k all-in so far and that includes some elective stuff.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Speaking of spending, I noticed the engine torque mount is a bit wobbly so I’ve ordered a powerflex replacement. Another £30.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I believe the M119 engine has a Go/NoGo gauge for the chain stretch measurement. It goes between about 5 links and will instantly tell you if it’s out of spec or not. Porsche technicians probably have something similar so worth looking out for.

Also to jump a tooth with a chain would need it to be very very loose indeed. Possibly badly done maintenance in the past ?

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Surely if you can get to a chain to see if it's worn/change the tooth it's on you can change it for a new one?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The don’t know what the Porsche engine is like but it’s a decent amount of work on older Mercs. Other engines may have inspection hatches etc ?

On newer stuff you take a measurement done by the ecu.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:28 am New tyres being fitted tomorrow so dave the old ones some pain today with a nice long 3rd gear rolling burnout. It was caught short of pulling 4th due to noticing someone coming the other way. They looked less than chuffed to be driving through all that smoke 🤣🤣

M140i is brilliant at it so I may do more before tyre fitting 😁
I spanked the bejesus out of the tyres on the way to the fitting centre only to get there to be told the tyres hadn't arrived 😱. Was it too much to expect a phone call to warn me?? Cocks!

New tyres still haven't arrived. They're stuck in customs with DPD in the Netherlands FFS. I'd cancel but can't get what I want anywhere else. I'll give it a couple more days and I may have to go for MPSS or PS4.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:08 pm Surely if you can get to a chain to see if it's worn/change the tooth it's on you can change it for a new one?
You can get to the cam sprockets just by taking the cam covers off. The rest is rather harder to get to. Here's a pic of someone else's: