Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

NGRhodes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:46 am After 16 months and 1 day of ownership (9000 miles), Mr Pretzel Wagon has generated its first proper fault.
Rear-left wheel speed sensor has failed, code/lights reappear instantly after clearing. Having had the same code come up a few times in the past, this is not a surprise.
Booked in garage tomorrow, combination of having a virus and 99% sure the bolts will be seized, means I won't be tackling this myself.
What kind of pretzel wagon, and how old ? The tiny bolt holding them on shears off and you also need to destroy the sensor to get it out. Quite interesting though, there's about a hundred miles of incredibly fine wire inside them.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 am
NGRhodes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:46 am After 16 months and 1 day of ownership (9000 miles), Mr Pretzel Wagon has generated its first proper fault.
Rear-left wheel speed sensor has failed, code/lights reappear instantly after clearing. Having had the same code come up a few times in the past, this is not a surprise.
Booked in garage tomorrow, combination of having a virus and 99% sure the bolts will be seized, means I won't be tackling this myself.
What kind of pretzel wagon, and how old ? The tiny bolt holding them on shears off and you also need to destroy the sensor to get it out. Quite interesting though, there's about a hundred miles of incredibly fine wire inside them.
A4 Avant 2005 2.5TDi
Foz

Post by Foz »

Quick run round the block review of the new Michelin’s

They feel about 25% more comfortable.. feels like a few damper clicks and spring rate down, maybe a bit quieter as well! Image
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I need to drive a lot over the remainder of the week but annoyingly a few days ago the battery on the 6 series died. I recharged it but it died again the next day. The battery condition tester confirmed that it’s fucked at 1% health. So ordered the only battery available for next day delivery which was another hateful Bosch
Then further treated it to a new wash with the pressure washer we just ordered for the agricultural machinery. It says it’s not suitable for cars which on full power it isn’t as chipping bits of block paving away showed but you can regulate the pressure down where it’s safe enough to stick your hand in the stream.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

The new rear wiper motor arrived. Just fitted it and the wiper now does not come on by itself or park itself mid sweep.

I did try and remove the glass to dismantle the mirrors but wimped out as the glass started to bow. I guess I will just have to pay an autospark as at least the repair, assuming it is simply broken wiring, will be solid.

Do need a new wiper arm though as the one on the car has split where it goes round the spindle.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

1st (and the only one I'll be paying for) service done on the Leaf. A reassuring £159 for a pollen filter and check over. They did chuck a gritty sponge at it and appear to have done the tyre pressures which were a little low, plus software updates. The missus enjoyed the inspection video as even lowly Nissan do them now, it seems. Annoyingly it was due in for a 4-hour recall job (something on the reduction gear) but the dealer hadn't bothered to let me know before I dropped the car off, meaning I had to return today to pick it up. The guy did try to sell me a servicing package but quickly stopped trying when I explained we only have the car for another 51 weeks :lol:

Only 6500 miles in a year due to C-19, when we have a 20k limit for the 2 years :roll: I suppose it could have been worse. It will probably be more like the expected 10k this year, so we won't undershoot by too much.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:39 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:32 am Sat Nav in the Zoe reported a range of 17 miles this morning, while the dash showed 150, caused my wife a bit of concern, but she drove off anyway. Turns out the dash was right. Interesting bug as you'd expect the two systems to read the same data.
Have you ever owned a French car before? :P
Sacre bleu! Quelle insult! But no. Last French car on my family was a Peugeot 305, and that was before I was old enough to drive.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:10 pm I need to drive a lot over the remainder of the week but annoyingly a few days ago the battery on the 6 series died. I recharged it but it died again the next day. The battery condition tester confirmed that it’s fucked at 1% health. So ordered the only battery available for next day delivery which was another hateful Bosch
Then further treated it to a new wash with the pressure washer we just ordered for the agricultural machinery. It says it’s not suitable for cars which on full power it isn’t as chipping bits of block paving away showed but you can regulate the pressure down where it’s safe enough to stick your hand in the stream.
I've one of those in my boxster. Nowt wrong with them :D
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I was going to say, Bosch have been my default battery for decades, never had an issue with them.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’re alright, last about 6 years I find. The Yuasa and Exide brand last way longer though.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Only guaranteed for 3 aren't they? 😀

Our 11 year old mini still has a mini battery. Speaking of which back at the garage today for track rod and some oil additive that fixes leaks (new one on me)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah either 3 or 5 years. The BMW batteries last twice as long but they cost exactly twice as much and took a few days lead time so I couldn't be bothered. I can also code the car to AGM but £400 for one :lol: :lol: :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yeh I've not had a problem with Bosch but that said mine is getting pretty lazy in starting recently so it may be time for a new one. Think its probably 5 years old now as I remember swapping it not long after buying the car.

Also, an exciting update! Not my 'fleet' but the old man has upgraded the maser and is picking up its replacement today... Arguably not as pretty but otherwise biggerer and betterer in most other aspects...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I need a couple of new batteries. I left the e36 too long when stopped driving it and even a two day trickle charge with an old fashioned current pusher charger won’t revive it. It will start and run, but try again an hour later and it’s dead.

Need one for the Alfa too, after a week of sitting it’s very lazy to turn and unless you get the throttle pumps, choke and throttle when it catches just right it dies again and then can’t crank long enough to pull fuel all the way through and refill the carb. Give it a jump and it fires immediately. New battery and a quick release terminal so I can disconnect it when I park up should do the job.
Cheers, Harry
_andy

Post by _andy »

It appears it is battery season, the one in the M135i keeps complaining that it is discharged, the CTEK charger and voltmeter say otherwise though and it shows no signs of struggling to start, but is most likely the original battery and has been sitting for long periods so may be on the decline.

It looks like if I change it myself I have to code it, WTF... :roll:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:48 am Also, an exciting update! Not my 'fleet' but the old man has upgraded the maser and is picking up its replacement today... Arguably not as pretty but otherwise biggerer and betterer in most other aspects...
Go on, reveal! Lexus LC500?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

_andy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:09 pm It appears it is battery season, the one in the M135i keeps complaining that it is discharged, the CTEK charger and voltmeter say otherwise though and it shows no signs of struggling to start, but is most likely the original battery and has been sitting for long periods so may be on the decline.

It looks like if I change it myself I have to code it, WTF... :roll:
I don't know about newer BMW's but I don't think coding is all that necessary, I haven't bothered on the last few occasions. On the E era ones you can tell the car what the battery capacity and type is as well as when you fit a new one which is more for record keeping the age and mileage for future warranty claims I imagine. If you fit a new battery with the same Ah and type then it shouldn't need it.

I have read some frankly absurd crap that if you don't code in a new battery the car ECU will assume its an older more inefficient battery and overcharge it and thus rapidly kill the new battery. A few seconds with a battery tester after a long drive confirmed that the voltage is within tolerance...
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:26 pm
GG. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:48 am Also, an exciting update! Not my 'fleet' but the old man has upgraded the maser and is picking up its replacement today... Arguably not as pretty but otherwise biggerer and betterer in most other aspects...
Go on, reveal! Lexus LC500?
It's a hatchback...

And when I said biggerer in most other aspects, that includes length!
Last edited by GG. on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mercedes GT?
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 pmMercedes GT?
Additional clue above...