Your fleet running reports

Broccers

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Broccers »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am
drcarlos wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am
Jimexpl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:14 am Wanted to take the mini for a drive for the first time since the pandemic.
Started immediately but unfortunately the clutch pedal wouldn’t budge. The clutch arm and slave cylinder is free so it must be the master. I’ve never changed it since purchase in 1998, and it definitely wasn’t new then, so probably has been on since new (1979).
Took the white Land Rover out. It needs setting up properly as there’s a big flat spot between 1/4 throttle and pedal to the floor. Not surprising since the carb is from a different engine and it now has a performance cam in it. Just need to find a rolling road with someone who will understand it. I used to use Aldon Automotive for the mini who were very good, but if anyone can recommend someone closer to South Leicestershire I’ll give them a try.

28E83FEC-660C-4457-B312-B811EA597BF7.jpeg
1275gt, my favourite mini, didn't realise you had one, nice. Hope it's sorted soon. Another friend has one and there are a couple a the local classic club too. Lovely bit of 70s nostalgia.
Sadly I rarely use it much these days. It’s got a 1330cc M.E.D engine in it which put out 104hp on a rolling road years ago and still feels just as strong. It’s a 60 minute car - go for a one hour drive and you come back buzzing, but anything over two hours becomes a chore!
I bet its a right riot.

When I was at uni 9 of us bought an old mini for 45 quid. It crabbed to badly it was unreal but still fun. One with that power must be great / interesting :)
andybond
Currently Driving: Exige S

Post by andybond »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:55 am
andybond wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 am A few words about my trackday at Blyton. Whilst I appreciate its old ground for me having been there perhaps 8 or 9 times now its also a very familiar test track. I do tend to take the exige on the road but I would never dream of cornering on a B road like I do on track.

For those at the back who havent been following my thread ( shame on you ) I have mad a modification to the adjustable ARB and gone full hard. Thats 5/5 setting.

I have certainly noted a firmer bite on turn in, however dont forget I have the near mythical AD052 tyres on. Could it have been that as well? Either way I am delighted with the car setup, but as ever always wondering what more could be done. I note the roll on the pictures seems to have been reduced but not removed. I am torn here because in theory a stiffer spring might stop the compression but I am curious if it could introduce understeer as the firmer spring would force the tyre to skip , rather than grip? Answers on a postcard or even this thread, please

My new exhaust sounded erm. I dont really know! I have a new lid as well and that basically renders most external noises null and void so I cannot tell. I am awaiting some videos of other track goers to get a better impression.

All in all, I am most pleased with the pace of the car and the confidence it inspires in me pressing on.

Some pictures of the car now. I am sure you have all seen a s2 exige before but tough ...

As you say most of your use is on road. I wouldn’t go stiffer springs as it would compromise the road use. What dampers do you have on it?

Softer arb on the front would in theory give slight more oversteer and better turn in. Elise/exiges are setup to have a bit of roll in them.

The 52’s are sticky so if youve changed to them and made setup changes then a lot of what you’re feeling will be the tyres.

What Geo setup have you got?
Sorry @scotta only just seen this.

I have zero issue with turn in, and it’s only been improved by stiffening up the front ARB.

I am not adverse to a compromise on the road as age has caught me up and I don’t drive to the limit on the road. Only the track

I have nitron suspension, Hoffman spec.

Geo is one of Dans.

I am trying to get the car to corner flat as a witches tit without compromising anything else.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 am How much of a pain is it to work on? I’ve had similar symptoms in the past with oil down the plug holes which only seems to cause an issue at hot idle.
In the context of this fault, or generally? I mean, like the Elise access is always difficult because it's low, everything is hidden behind other things because...packaging. Getting at the bay is always a pain when there's a bloody boot in the way.

Also, difficult is relative. For you? Not much...for me? Probably quite a bit :lol: I can deal with changing a few spark plugs, thankfully that's within my capabilities.

I spoken to my tuna, they've advised they did have reports of faulty plugs last year, so suggested it's worth changing them and they'll sort something if they don't work....or more likely, they don't want me sending them back.

Also, when did Alfa stop making nice looking engines? Fucking state of this (and not just because it's dirty)

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

andybond wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 am My new exhaust sounded erm. I dont really know! I have a new lid as well and that basically renders most external noises null and void so I cannot tell. I am awaiting some videos of other track goers to get a better impression.
Any clips? Not sure about the rear pipe...deffo needs a nicer tip.

Also...super extreme weight saving with no rear plate? :lol:
andybond

Post by andybond »

Matty wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:43 pm
andybond wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 am My new exhaust sounded erm. I dont really know! I have a new lid as well and that basically renders most external noises null and void so I cannot tell. I am awaiting some videos of other track goers to get a better impression.
Any clips? Not sure about the rear pipe...deffo needs a nicer tip.

Also...super extreme weight saving with no rear plate? :lol:
I take off the front and rear plates when on track incase I park it on its roof!

I actually like the look of the utilitarian exhaust tip. Its what I asked for. The Lotus OE one isnt anything to write home about.

Only two I have at the mo :(
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

New luggage cover turned up for the 928 yesterday. Really nice quality product - looks OEM. New spare wheel cover and sound proofing should be turning up this week.

Although not an issue at the moment, I've noticed I can't select heat on the climate control. Well, I can but no heat is forthcoming. There are no vacuum leaks, which rules out the actuators, so I can only assume it's an issue with the climate control unit. Second hand ones are usually £400+, but I managed to snag one off eBay for £160. That's turning up today, so that's another part to add to the pile.

It's going in for a new fuel pump and in tank strainer tomorrow, so I'm out for a drive tonight to run the tank down.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
scotta

Post by scotta »

andybond wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:32 pm
andybond wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 am A few words about my trackday at Blyton. Whilst I appreciate its old ground for me having been there perhaps 8 or 9 times now its also a very familiar test track. I do tend to take the exige on the road but I would never dream of cornering on a B road like I do on track.

For those at the back who havent been following my thread ( shame on you ) I have mad a modification to the adjustable ARB and gone full hard. Thats 5/5 setting.

I have certainly noted a firmer bite on turn in, however dont forget I have the near mythical AD052 tyres on. Could it have been that as well? Either way I am delighted with the car setup, but as ever always wondering what more could be done. I note the roll on the pictures seems to have been reduced but not removed. I am torn here because in theory a stiffer spring might stop the compression but I am curious if it could introduce understeer as the firmer spring would force the tyre to skip , rather than grip? Answers on a postcard or even this thread, please

My new exhaust sounded erm. I dont really know! I have a new lid as well and that basically renders most external noises null and void so I cannot tell. I am awaiting some videos of other track goers to get a better impression.

All in all, I am most pleased with the pace of the car and the confidence it inspires in me pressing on.

Some pictures of the car now. I am sure you have all seen a s2 exige before but tough ...

As you say most of your use is on road. I wouldn’t go stiffer springs as it would compromise the road use. What dampers do you have on it?

Softer arb on the front would in theory give slight more oversteer and better turn in. Elise/exiges are setup to have a bit of roll in them.

The 52’s are sticky so if youve changed to them and made setup changes then a lot of what you’re feeling will be the tyres.

I have zero issue with turn in, and it’s only been improved by stiffening up the front ARB.

I am not adverse to a compromise on the road as age has caught me up and I don’t drive to the limit on the road. Only the track

Geo is one of Dans.

I am trying to get the car to corner flat as a witches tit without compromising anything else.
@andybond

Im presuming you are stiffening the damping for track use? I run the damping on mine quite low for road and tighten it up for track use.

If you are not fussed about it compromising the road use then stiffer springs with definitely reduce roll on track.

British Sports Car Services run two Elises in championship racing https://www.facebook.com/BritishSportsCarServices I had a brief chat with them about spring rates. You could potentially chat with them for some advice.
andybond

Post by andybond »

scotta wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:17 am

Geo is one of Dans.

@andybond

Im presuming you are stiffening the damping for track use? I run the damping on mine quite low for road and tighten it up for track use.

If you are not fussed about it compromising the road use then stiffer springs with definitely reduce roll on track.

British Sports Car Services run two Elises in championship racing https://www.facebook.com/BritishSportsCarServices I had a brief chat with them about spring rates. You could potentially chat with them for some advice.
Exactly that @scotta. I have an excel sheet of the clicks I run per track and conditions. Adjust your suit then back right off for the road.

Thanks for the link - I’ll investigate.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Matty wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 am How much of a pain is it to work on? I’ve had similar symptoms in the past with oil down the plug holes which only seems to cause an issue at hot idle.
In the context of this fault, or generally? I mean, like the Elise access is always difficult because it's low, everything is hidden behind other things because...packaging. Getting at the bay is always a pain when there's a bloody boot in the way.

Also, difficult is relative. For you? Not much...for me? Probably quite a bit :lol: I can deal with changing a few spark plugs, thankfully that's within my capabilities.

I spoken to my tuna, they've advised they did have reports of faulty plugs last year, so suggested it's worth changing them and they'll sort something if they don't work....or more likely, they don't want me sending them back.

Also, when did Alfa stop making nice looking engines? Fucking state of this (and not just because it's dirty)

You're lucky! I've never seen the engine on my last seven cars!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am
drcarlos wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am
Jimexpl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:14 am Wanted to take the mini for a drive for the first time since the pandemic.
Started immediately but unfortunately the clutch pedal wouldn’t budge. The clutch arm and slave cylinder is free so it must be the master. I’ve never changed it since purchase in 1998, and it definitely wasn’t new then, so probably has been on since new (1979).
Took the white Land Rover out. It needs setting up properly as there’s a big flat spot between 1/4 throttle and pedal to the floor. Not surprising since the carb is from a different engine and it now has a performance cam in it. Just need to find a rolling road with someone who will understand it. I used to use Aldon Automotive for the mini who were very good, but if anyone can recommend someone closer to South Leicestershire I’ll give them a try.

28E83FEC-660C-4457-B312-B811EA597BF7.jpeg
1275gt, my favourite mini, didn't realise you had one, nice. Hope it's sorted soon. Another friend has one and there are a couple a the local classic club too. Lovely bit of 70s nostalgia.
Sadly I rarely use it much these days. It’s got a 1330cc M.E.D engine in it which put out 104hp on a rolling road years ago and still feels just as strong. It’s a 60 minute car - go for a one hour drive and you come back buzzing, but anything over two hours becomes a chore!
Chatting to the dad of one of my daughters friends he told me he has a 1275GT too, think it's the Black/Gold one (I also like the Yellow/black ones, blame scalextric for that) and he says much the same about his, that and it's not exactly reliable either. Fortunately he bought his wife an Elan M100 for her 40th so they have that too.
One of my mates had a 1340 Avonbar lump in his 1000 when we were teens (his old man also had big power Cossies and a VR-4 Galant too) and I remember going out in it, it was bonkers but not exactly a cruiser, but we'd have just driven that everywhere then, funny how coddled we've become as middle aged men :D .
dan

Post by dan »

andybond wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:24 am

Geo is one of Dans.

@andybond

Exactly that @scotta. I have an excel sheet of the clicks I run per track and conditions. Adjust your suit then back right off for the road.

You need some of my anti roll bars then not stiffer springs. My car is set up purely for track and probably has half the spring rate most people use. They're in use on championship winning hillclimb cars (that are going quicker now on harder tyres) and front running elise trophy cars now they've opened the regs on roll bars.
andybond

Post by andybond »

dan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 pm
@andybond

You need some of my anti roll bars then not stiffer springs. My car is set up purely for track and probably has half the spring rate most people use. They're in use on championship winning hillclimb cars (that are going quicker now on harder tyres) and front running elise trophy cars now they've opened the regs on roll bars.
Dan, are they on your site? Are they the pilbeam ones?
scotta

Post by scotta »

andybond wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 am

My car has these fitted as well - might be worth a shout. I cant tell you if they make any difference as they came on the car so ive never driven it without them.

https://www.hangar111.com/shop/lotus-2- ... r-kit.html
dan

Post by dan »

andybond wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 am

Not pilbeam no, proper blade adjustable bars not ones with a few holes in that have a tiny range of adjustment.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Should finally get the Jag back next week all being well.

New Manifold Crossover Pipe, NSR upper arm, OSF and NSF Springs.

Glad it's all covered by warranty or it would be a decent bill!

Been enjoying driving the V60, wet vac'd all seats and cleaned the interior, as the pup managed to pee in the back twice, once on my Dad, and once on the seat.

All came up like new, Volvo really do build things to last.

To say its done twice the miles of the Jag it certainly doesn't look or feel any older than it.
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

Sold my 964 yesterday. Had it for 13 years and I'm not sure how I feel about not having an old 911 anymore.

It needs an engine rebuild and one of the guys handling all my Porsche needs offered to buy it as he'd just sold his current daily driver 993 and I'd told him earlier this year I was toying with the idea of selling.

I bought it back in 2009 as a daily summer car, it's not a matching numbers type affair at all, which suited me perfectly for that purpose at that time. I rarely drove it over the past years, even less so since the arrival of the 308 and the R, and it seemed sensible to part with it now. Sold it for 10K more than I bought it off him, so given the work required not a bad deal all things considered.

The fact that my dad still owns a 930 does soften the blow a bit, as in my little mind I can always drive that should the "need" arise.

Currently looking at 850 CSI, S1 Elise and E500. Again. :roll:
Cunt.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Wilspeed wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:21 am Currently looking at 850 CSI, S1 Elise and E500. Again. :roll:
Vast spectrum of cars there :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

An 850 CSi would be very much on my list of cars to own if I had the means - you don't see them very much and I'd be curious as to how BMW handled the high end luxury GT thing.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

850 is uber cool imho.

However, another hindsight car that was a performance bargain not so long ago and (man maths incoming) make the similar age and spec 750s look a relative bargain.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

We went to MiL's house for lunch yesterday and took the Clubman as it's not been out for a while.

C578C32C-417F-4AE9-A5BB-4E4B437009BC.jpeg
C578C32C-417F-4AE9-A5BB-4E4B437009BC.jpeg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 465 times

I like it and keep thinking the extra power of a Cooper S would be nice but OTOH, if you're just sitting on the motorway is 70mph in a Cooper S going to be faster than 70mph in a Cooper D ? It'll definitely be 30mpg worse though.