Your fleet running reports

mik

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by mik »

If only ste was still around....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I didn’t really do it for weight saving. I wanted stainless for corrosion resistance and spotted titanium ones for a couple of quid more and thought why not? :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Foz

Post by Foz »

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s definitely a looker! 😎
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Menacing 8-)
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:06 am I didn’t really do it for weight saving. I wanted stainless for corrosion resistance and spotted titanium ones for a couple of quid more and thought why not? :lol:
Knowing a bleed nipple won’t break, need working backwards and forwards or be seized beforehand gives a great level of peace.

I want some.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Good news - replacement AC compressor fitted to the MINI no problem this morning.

Bad news - while putting it all back together I noticed the driver's side CV boot is completely split. It's booked in for its MOT at 10am tomorrow and that's a sure fire fail. Arse.
mik

Post by mik »

It’s petrol so it’s part of the fleet....

Half way through lawn mowing today - mower was providing - but not as vigorously as normal. No wheel spin if you just pulled the handle vigorously for example. Thought maybe the cable needed an adjustment tweak - so decided that it would be a tippy-top idea to do it before I finished the rest of the lawn. Top thinking..... “thwack” - snapped cable. Argh!

I could have just pushed it round but we have a couple of sections with steep slopes, and of course it was one of those that was half-mown.

Elected instead to cut the cable sheath and use a couple of jubilee clips to lock the cable in the “drive” position. Which made turns amusing. Bodgetastic.

A new cable is £18, which is 36% of the gumtree purchase price... so it hurts.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Speaking of garden machinery I discovered a few weeks ago that you can use a leaf blower to dry a car. I feel like a complete mug for doing it the old fashioned way for so many years.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You can buy special detailing car drivers which definitely aren’t cheap electric leaf blowers with an inflated price tag at all :lol:

I know people use them, but I’ve never tried it and the neighbours think I’m weird enough as it is :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Does your car look good when it's dry and covered in leaves?

Mik, I see you've clamped the sheath; could you have used a pair of mole grips on the cable as a very manual throttle?
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Jobbo[/mention] yeah possibly, but it snapped below the section where the handle folds (it appears to have been closed clumsily at this point by the previous owner and folded the sheath). I would have needed to tie something onto the cable to get a workable length. Decided that was too much hassle....
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Stone chip + crack just as I was driving up the A1 to Scotland. The autoglass bloke came today but warned me of a high chance of it cracking right across the windscreen as he repaired it and a risk that they wouldn’t be able to replace that while I was up here. As the chip hasn’t got any bigger overnight I’ve elected to cross my fingers and get it fixed when I’m back down South.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Are you getting a bit of wheelspin on all your turns now then? :)
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:20 pm Speaking of garden machinery I discovered a few weeks ago that you can use a leaf blower to dry a car. I feel like a complete mug for doing it the old fashioned way for so many years.
My Dad would wash his motorbike after every use and has for years used a leaf blower to get it nice and dry. Great for getting water out of all the nooks and crannies!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:29 pm Stone chip + crack just as I was driving up the A1 to Scotland. The autoglass bloke came today but warned me of a high chance of it cracking right across the windscreen as he repaired it and a risk that they wouldn’t be able to replace that while I was up here. As the chip hasn’t got any bigger overnight I’ve elected to cross my fingers and get it fixed when I’m back down South.
They did a great job on mine but took a while to get the screen in and I had to chase it up.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

McSwede wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:48 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:20 pm Speaking of garden machinery I discovered a few weeks ago that you can use a leaf blower to dry a car. I feel like a complete mug for doing it the old fashioned way for so many years.
My Dad would wash his motorbike after every use and has for years used a leaf blower to get it nice and dry. Great for getting water out of all the nooks and crannies!
I have a leaf blower that has a broken bag on it (as a leaf sucker) so might repurpose it for car drying. Luckily I live in the corner of a cul de sac so not many people can observe such silliness.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

They are good for blowing water out of grilles / wheels / gaps between lights n bodywork etc, but I wouldn’t try to dry a whole car with one?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Broccers wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:50 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:29 pm Stone chip + crack just as I was driving up the A1 to Scotland. The autoglass bloke came today but warned me of a high chance of it cracking right across the windscreen as he repaired it and a risk that they wouldn’t be able to replace that while I was up here. As the chip hasn’t got any bigger overnight I’ve elected to cross my fingers and get it fixed when I’m back down South.
They did a great job on mine but took a while to get the screen in and I had to chase it up.
I had visions of being marooned in Scotland waiting for a replacement screen to materialise.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:30 pm Are you getting a bit of wheelspin on all your turns now then? :)
Ah me :lol: :oops:

Yeah, but mower oversteer when you are hanging onto the back is remarkably unsatisfying.

Apparently FWD mowers are increasingly popular in the US as you can leave the drive on whilst you lean the mower back to make a turn and rotate on the rears- saving vital milliseconds re-engaging drive after the turn. :?