Your fleet running reports

dinny_g

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by dinny_g »

Pleading the 5th... ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Any ideas on this, chaps? I went across a bridge t'other day, and going over the expansion joint felt like going up a kerb. It was a hell of an impact, but afterwards the dampers seemed to work better (maybe even just worked where they didn't before), chalk and cheese different for the better :? All I can think is that as the dampers are also listed for things like the Fabia VRS, for once in their life they've been subjected to loads more like they'd get there than in the much lighter A2.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:07 pm
Different note altogether but when my dad's 9000i was in for service he got a 9000 turbo Carlsson loan car. Fuck me that thing redifined fast, apparently faster that a Testarossa in the day
IIRC it was quicker between 50-70mph in 4th gear (or something similar)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

My hazy memory was (something like) 50-70 in top was faster than a Diablo, but it was at least partly because the Diablo has a massively high top gear and was barely above tickover at 50mph !
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Had a little mooch around possible future cars ....

Went to see a new Defender as the main family bus, I like the idea of it as an SUV but not as a Defender. Despite seeing one in Peterborough in December they didn’t have one in Milton Keynes and won’t get one till March, odd. We had a look over the Discovery 5 as I don’t think a TFT dash will work for me at all but the wife hated the looks and it felt very big.
She loved the RR Sport SVR, despite me never being able to afford it she was sold on the blue and comfy seats. To me it looked like a cheap Khan version up close. It was nice as it cemented that I’m not keen on them and the D4 in the car park was lovely in comparison, one to look at.

Off to Mercedes, both GLE models in the dealership had completely dead batteries which sucked. The steering wheel was too small and the 7 seat option was really difficult for
The wife to get in the back of with any dignity. It didn’t feel that special at all. I had a look around a nicely species E class estate but it really is too small in the back for the dog.
On the way out I saw a 2018 GL and it instantly looked great, the interior was lovely but it was a customer car so didn’t get a poke around it. I’ve never sat in the face lifted model and it would need to be a GL350 which I’m doubtful of, it wasn’t a nice engine in the ML imo.

Being picky is a pain in the arse, I really don’t like the face lifted Q7, the X5 grill is laughably cheap and nasty and as much as I like G Wagons, I’m not sure it’s a forward step.

A mint condition late model ML500 would be lovely in midnight blue but that’s like unicorn pooh.

Modern cars really don’t excite me.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

[mention]V8Granite[/mention] What’s your view on the XC90?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Lovely car, I really like the interior but the engine was in-refined and strained. It really made it feel cheap. This was a T8 so it went really well, I only had maybe 2 or 3 miles driving it though.

The Defenders 2.0 petrol puts me off a bit as I’m worried it will feel the same.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My mate just replaced his D4. He needs a 7 seater (4 kids) and his wife hates the D5, so he immediately wanted the new Defender until he went and looked at one. He decided that it’s way too expensive for what you get and the quality is lacking. He ended up with a T8 XC90, which he loves. It spends most of its time on full electric mode doing the school run, or running them all between his place in Manchester and his place in Wales, at full bore up the motorway.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think my issue with the Volvo was that it felt like a great car with a cheap engine, the old XC90 was the same, the interior was lovely but the diesel was utter tripe and the V8 which was lovely people wanted silly money for in comparison.

If the current XC90 had a 300hp 4.0V8 with a little character I’m not sure any other car would even get a look in for us.

It’s probably all cars going away from what I like.

Still keen to see the new Defender though but it may just be too small.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:37 am I think my issue with the Volvo was that it felt like a great car with a cheap engine, the old XC90 was the same, the interior was lovely but the diesel was utter tripe and the V8 which was lovely people wanted silly money for in comparison.

If the current XC90 had a 300hp 4.0V8 with a little character I’m not sure any other car would even get a look in for us.

It’s probably all cars going away from what I like.

Still keen to see the new Defender though but it may just be too small.

Dave!
The modular engine Volvo use in everything is supremely dull. The wife's S60 T4 is a competent family vehicle that's utterly devoid of any character. The engine is a huge part of that. It goes ok but sounds horrid and gets worse as the revs pile on
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 am ...he immediately wanted the new Defender until he went and looked at one. He decided that it’s way too expensive for what you get and the quality is lacking.
A recipe for success judging by the old Defender !
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Waiting for my mr12v Bluetooth adapter being fitted. 2 and a half hours so far God I am bored. 😃
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

KevH18 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm
16vCento wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am I test drove it and it felt a world away from how my 9-5 was, and even further behind my S60.

Even though it would save me a load of money in fuel it wasn't worth it.

It didn't handle, the alleged uprated hifi was awful, the seats weren't supportive or comfortable.

The engine wasn't bad for a diesel, it pulled well from just past 1k rpm right up to 5k rpm with no real drop off in urge and I thought it was quite a nice looking car, it had been looked after.

But I think I'll just keep the S60 as I've spent a lot on it and I don't want to take a backwards step in quality so it will stay and my Xantia hunt is on 8-)
I did read an Autocar review after I saw one for sale and even new, they weren't very complimentary about them.
Possibly going to look at a 2010 Mazda 6 Sport diesel wagon on Saturday. Seems suspiciously cheap at £1800 but it does say it only has part service history. Trying to find out what it might have missed by getting before a service interval guide before I see it.
If it's a 2.2d be very careful if the history isn't there, they have a tendency for snapping timing chains and destroying themselves in a very un-Mazda like way!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

16vCento wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:08 pm
KevH18 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm
16vCento wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am I test drove it and it felt a world away from how my 9-5 was, and even further behind my S60.

Even though it would save me a load of money in fuel it wasn't worth it.

It didn't handle, the alleged uprated hifi was awful, the seats weren't supportive or comfortable.

The engine wasn't bad for a diesel, it pulled well from just past 1k rpm right up to 5k rpm with no real drop off in urge and I thought it was quite a nice looking car, it had been looked after.

But I think I'll just keep the S60 as I've spent a lot on it and I don't want to take a backwards step in quality so it will stay and my Xantia hunt is on 8-)
I did read an Autocar review after I saw one for sale and even new, they weren't very complimentary about them.
Possibly going to look at a 2010 Mazda 6 Sport diesel wagon on Saturday. Seems suspiciously cheap at £1800 but it does say it only has part service history. Trying to find out what it might have missed by getting before a service interval guide before I see it.
If it's a 2.2d be very careful if the history isn't there, they have a tendency for snapping timing chains and destroying themselves in a very un-Mazda like way!
Mine also had a recall to update the software to account for the chain stretching over time. Had a TS on an 09 plate for about 50k miles (bought with 73k on the clock), apart from a couple of seized brake calipers it never went wrong. Good cars.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

New tyres have transformed the merc, old fronts were mid 2013 date code. Gave the rears a good look when they came off and only had a mm or so from the markers so not worth the effort of keeping and sticking on a set of wheels.

Front end feels a lot more nimble, rear end has stopped an awkward sideways shuffle over wet drain covers when I'd started to think there was a bush or joint on the way out.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

It's amazing what new tyres do.

Backs on the boxster need changing soon 420 quid. Ouch.

My cheap Bluetooth streaming solution is installed. That works. Handsfree does not. Must say the standard Bose kit sounds mega.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Changing the rears on the 330 last year changed it from a lairy, tail happy oversteer machine to a squirt and go machine.

I'm getting better at loosening up the rear end with a bit more brutal application of throttle and clutch though ;)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Bump :oops:
nuttinnew wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm Any ideas on this, chaps? I went across a bridge t'other day, and going over the expansion joint felt like going up a kerb. It was a hell of an impact, but afterwards the dampers seemed to work better (maybe even just worked where they didn't before), chalk and cheese different for the better :? All I can think is that as the dampers are also listed for things like the Fabia VRS, for once in their life they've been subjected to loads more like they'd get there than in the much lighter A2.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:30 am Bump :oops:
nuttinnew wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm Any ideas on this, chaps? I went across a bridge t'other day, and going over the expansion joint felt like going up a kerb. It was a hell of an impact, but afterwards the dampers seemed to work better (maybe even just worked where they didn't before), chalk and cheese different for the better :? All I can think is that as the dampers are also listed for things like the Fabia VRS, for once in their life they've been subjected to loads more like they'd get there than in the much lighter A2.
Do you think the transport blocks were still in the suspension and fell out when jolted? What’s the car done now, 150k miles?

Dampers which are also fitted to heavier cars shouldn’t be a problem because it’s the springs which support the mass.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

There weren't any transport blocks in there, but I guess it was a similar kind of feeling of change. It's done 182504 miles now.
I agree with the springs supporting the mass, so I suppose the thought then is over damping. I've never knowingly experienced it but I guess if under damping doesn't control movement enough, over will control it too much and limit travel :? Train of thought poop there, I'll go have a google...