Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:20 am Went for a bast yesterday among the whole world out in derbyshire. Wet, greasy, muddy roads around Bakewell, Leek, Buxton made it a bit tricky. On those sort of roads it was quite interesting to see how my boxster compared to a gt4. My mate said theres not much in it as traffic made his extra rev range hard to use (85 in 2nd). Great fun tho - his face when I nearly reversed into it was a picture :lol:

I know that carpark well - my dads from Youlgrave - the roads are great round there.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:20 am Went for a bast yesterday among the whole world out in derbyshire. Wet, greasy, muddy roads around Bakewell, Leek, Buxton made it a bit tricky. On those sort of roads it was quite interesting to see how my boxster compared to a gt4. My mate said theres not much in it as traffic made his extra rev range hard to use (85 in 2nd). Great fun tho - his face when I nearly reversed into it was a picture :lol:

Still think your car is better looking, Broccers. The 987 looks just right and everything since has been tweaking the details for the worse.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Sounds like a cracking day out. This time of year has definitely shown how you can easily get the backend to step out quite easily although it does still feel quite controllable (famous last words).

The 987 really does look good even next to a lot of the newer stuff which looks great, but is very different. I'm thinking the same about 911s now too.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 am What speed/revs does your 2nd gear top out at @Broccers ?
I'm unsure - 70 to 75 7000+

Thanks lads, it was great to get out 8-) 8-)

Saturday was more pleasant - this is at Ogston Reservoir - had to buy a hat it was that cold :lol:

Roll on Summer

Oh on a bike update - wouldnt start. Charged battery, no starting. Fitted new charged battery and same. Bump started it in 4th on a hill today and bingo fired up. Its got a dicky switch somewhere - starter, clutch or stand I think. Its booked in anyway. Needs a new tyre - has nearly done 7000 miles now :lol:
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:35 pm
MikeHunt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 am What speed/revs does your 2nd gear top out at @Broccers ?
I'm unsure - 70 to 75 7000+
Just realised that I have no idea how fast my Mx5 is going at max revs in any gear. My mission for the week. :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

My compact only does about 55 in 2nd, I guess that’s why it doesn’t feel as slow as the on paper 0-60 if you keep it on the boil.

The 316 and 318 use different diff ratios, but the 0-60 time of the autos where both use the same diff is much bigger than the manuals where I guess the lower powered car will just about sneak it in 2nd.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 am

Still think your car is better looking, Broccers. The 987 looks just right and everything since has been tweaking the details for the worse.
I mean, the Boxster is a decent looking car, but let's be honest, the Cayman GT4 looks the bollocks. Especially in that blue. Massive want.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ That's not a complimentary angle for the front overhang.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:25 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 am

I mean, the Boxster is a decent looking car, but let's be honest, the Cayman GT4 looks the bollocks. Especially in that blue. Massive want.
I’m sorry, I disagree - the 918 and 718 look generic, not like Porsches. They have that rip-off side vent which ruins the sculptural surfaces of the sides and really awkward details front and rear.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The new one is far more curvy and aggressive.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Have to say from that angle my car looks way bigger 😀
Matty

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:01 pm I’m sorry, I disagree
No need to apologise for being wrong, Simon. You've had a good run. ;)
Last edited by Matty on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Hit one of those thin, tall speed they put in retail parks a bit too quickly (a rawkus 10mph) in the Alfa, and it went over with something of a thump .... Now, turning right (loading up the N/S) feels quite soft, like the tyre is underinflated (checked, it isn't) and although there are no untoward noises over bumps or regular driving, turning slowly on full lock is a bit noisy.

The suspension components, like most Alfa's, are made of cheese, so who knows. Inspection required.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

MOT q; will absent rear headrests be a fail?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

No.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

20mm spacers added to the back of the compact. Fitment is tight, as in scuffs the tyre where it ticks under the top corner of the bumper, but only enough to rub the dirt off not actually make any mark on the rubber.

Stance

But helped by uneven ground 🤣

Still not decided what to do with the suspension, it rides really nicely, but the dampers feel a bit tired, I guess from spending most of their life at the limit of their travel, and I’d like to fine tune the height a bit more. Undecided whether to go for coilovers or some more suitable normal dampers and tweak the height with physical spacers.
Cheers, Harry
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:29 pmNo.
Ta :) Handy when I can't remember where I've put them :? :oops:

What dampers are on the Compact atm?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

2nd flat tyre on the M4 caused by a pothole.. both were on the sidewall so no repairs (M cars don’t use run-flats). The front is now on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S ‘s and the rear Supersports.. nice for accurate oversteer 😂 Its in for a service and MOT this week, so hope alls good with it as wanting to get rid of it soon.

I’m a bit in love with the Taycan and am planning on trying the Taycan Sport Turismo Grand Turismo Sport as soon as I can (not available at the moment and lead time isn’t great) to compare it against an M3 (I want the Touring, but so does everybody else) plus try an Alpina B3 (available now) to help me pick my next purchase..
Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

IanF wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:57 pm

Taycan Sport Turismo Grand Turismo Sport
:lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The 7 is off to WBAC on Friday. I’m genuinely sad to see it go.

I bought it in Dec ‘19 as I was starting a new job in Jan ‘20 with a long commute. Then in Mar ‘20 we went into the first lockdown and I’ve been to the office exactly once since then. I kept it because I liked it so much, even though I really really don’t need it.

I then bought the Galaxie last October and part of that deal was that I promised my wife I’d sell the 7 to make space. I’ve dragged it out as far as possible now. Its time is up.

The WBAC quote is £8240 and it feels like that’s not a million miles from what I’d end up getting privately. It’s worth it to avoid dealing with the kind of muppets that are interested in cheap big high mileage old black BMWs…..