Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:04 am I've just realised - no helmets, yet they get fussy about spectators. Should have said I was your pit crew and flashed my MSA licence :lol:
TBH, if you'd arrived in the van with us, nobody would have batted an eyelid. There was no security check getting on/off site.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:29 am
Oh, sneaky ! Although it’s going to bug me, the contradiction of “XL” and “Compact” !
That’s the fun bit 😀
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Which reminds me, and I've not floated this with Jon recently but I think I've suggested it before, there's a great opportunity to expand Team OV9 (Rally Division). We have two cars that have proved reliable* and fun. At a lot of events it's possible to double drive, so if there's two willing victims here, they could join in. Financially it requires event entry (Kemble was £60pp) plus membership of the organising club (Bath Motor Club was £10). Plus a packed lunch, or there's usually a catering van if you prefer that. And it's always an early start to get to site. I was up just before 5am on Sunday.

The only catch is that you need to be fairly tall :lol: The seats in both cars are fixed in place for their owners and not adjustable. Jon & I can switch quite easily but (e.g.) neither of our wives would see over the steering wheels.

PM me or Jon if you're Targa-curious ;)

* I have a selective memory

Edit to add - "(Kemble was £60pp)" that's per vehicle entry, conventionally paid by the driver rather than the navigator, so if you want to come along for the ride but not drive, I think all you need is club membership.
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Wed May 11, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:04 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:43 pm Image
I've just realised - no helmets, yet they get fussy about spectators. Should have said I was your pit crew and flashed my MSA licence :lol:
It's probably to do with PLI and disclaimers for non-members/entrants.

We get all sorts of requirements and clauses thrown at us to satisfy the insurers. Usually to protect the galactically stupid from themselves not spectators like us who would use a bit of common sense.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:47 am The only catch is that you need to be fairly tall :lol:
I'd have been quite tempted but this is a good point - I'm definitely not going to fit :lol:

Surprised you didn't have to wear helmets though?
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:44 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:47 am The only catch is that you need to be fairly tall :lol:
I'd have been quite tempted but this is a good point - I'm definitely not going to fit :lol:

Surprised you didn't have to wear helmets though?
If they don’t insist on helmets, they probably don’t require regularltion racing booties either, so you can possibly deploy alternative solutions…. :geek:

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:44 am Surprised you didn't have to wear helmets though?
Yeah. It's complicated and historical I think. Targas are a subset of Road Rallies and I think it's something to do with that, wearing helmets on public roads gives (more) impression that it's a speed event rather than a navigational event and would bring in a whole raft of additional requirements. Events are also restricted to an average speed of 30mph. Emphasis on the word average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rally

A surprising or seemingly illogical outcome being the result of years and years of complex precedent and arguments between different stakeholders ? I bet you've never encountered that in your day job :D
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:44 am
I edited my post above and I realised - if you want to come along for the ride and just navigate rather than double-drive, there's obviously no need to be able to reach the pedals. You might be OK.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yep, the more the merrier, just doing the navigating to start with if you like, or 'pit crew'. Though fortunately we didn't need much of that.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Same as autosolos, no helmets. As Steve said, may be something to do with them run under road rally rules, average speed of 30mph. This one, in the dry on an airfield, was faster than most - the brakes* did go soft on some of the longer runs. I think I touched 60mph on the straights but here going sideways on the broken up tarmac we're in 1st or 2nd so not going quick at all. Looks and feel awesome though :)

*I had Ferodo DS3000 pads til they wore out. Just put std ones in when I replaced them as we didn't feel these events required hard stops. Kemble proved otherwise, so maybe time for better pads again.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:17 pm A surprising or seemingly illogical outcome being the result of years and years of complex precedent and arguments between different stakeholders ? I bet you've never encountered that in your day job :D
That's what makes it fun :lol:

I'd be up for navigating if that's useful. Not so much just for adding ballast or coming along for the ride.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@V8Granite is your ML part of the recall Merc are doing due to potential brake failure?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:09 pm @V8Granite is your ML part of the recall Merc are doing due to potential brake failure?
My understanding is that this single LHD vehicles only. I did check ours though and it’s spotless.

I fear this will not be a cheap fix if it affects every LHD model!!

Dave!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

EOTR for the Discovery Sport 240Si HSE Luxury-
IMG_3778.jpg
IMG_3778.jpg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 687 times
The Disco has been taken away by a dealer today.
£29900 with 36500 miles and we bought it new discounted for £40500. £240 a month depreciation on a brand new £46k SUV is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon - sometimes pandemics are beneficial! Painless sale through Motorway.
No other car on the market ticked as many boxes for us and it was ideal for our intended use.
The only fault was due to lockdown - extended downtime ended the battery and caused a sat nav fault, both replaced under warranty.

Drove far better than the competition (as long as you have adaptive dynamics) and a four cylinders go the Ingenium in this configuaration was nice and quiet in daily use and sounded vaguely sporty above 5krpm.
Did about 20 miles off road in France and Spain and some gentle byways here and the abilities are way above how any owner is likely to use it.
So good that we ordered another, but 12 months on it is still probably 12 months away. It should have arrived last September, the spec has changed to something we don’t really want and the price is likely to go up, so I’ve cancelled it.

The same spec car today is £54k before discount, not that LR will let you order one - An £8k price increase in 3 1/2 years is pretty hefty!

The stop-gap replacement is only £10k to free up some funds for a bit and wait for the world to return to 'normal'.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jimexpl wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 am £29900 with 36500 miles and we bought it new discounted for £40500. £240 a month depreciation on a brand new £46k SUV is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon
Very impressive indeed. Though the idea of cashing out loses its appeal when you look at trying to replace it!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:57 am
Jimexpl wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 am £29900 with 36500 miles and we bought it new discounted for £40500. £240 a month depreciation on a brand new £46k SUV is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon
Very impressive indeed. Though the idea of cashing out loses its appeal when you look at trying to replace it!
Talking to our suppliers in AV the chip shortage is going to be an issue for another year. After the cost of living going up, the government laying off 100k people and the ‘R’ word I’m hopeful that we’ll start getting sensible deals and lead times again on new cars this time next year.

I’ve bought a 2 owner 12 year old X5 4.8 as a replacement. It’s already had two of the pricey issues done and appears looked after, so I’m hoping it’ll be a relatively painless proposition for a while…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Coincidentally I was thinking about the X5 4.8is just last night; I always fancied one but never got round to it. I think the second gen (which yours must be) is a better looking car, though less of a hotrod.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

4.8is has been on my radar for a while, but prices are strong for decent ones. Ste had one and it sounded epic.

Hard to find one in a nice colour / spec. They look about a millionth better without the sidesteps too.

He also had a 2nd gen v8 x5 but don’t think ever really gelled with it so went back to an e53
Cheers, Harry
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 pm Coincidentally I was thinking about the X5 4.8is just last night; I always fancied one but never got round to it. I think the second gen (which yours must be) is a better looking car, though less of a hotrod.
I wasn’t looking for a V8. My criteria was sub £20k, petrol (no London ULEZ), 7 seats, no rear tints (kids get child sick).

This was the first one to come up since January!
B4D5CB41-0BA0-4A6A-91AF-D5493ABC2FD5.jpeg
B4D5CB41-0BA0-4A6A-91AF-D5493ABC2FD5.jpeg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 634 times
(Crap seller photo)

To add to the rare spec, it’s an M Sport, which you never see. It was an option which added unique 19” alloys (much preferred to the 20” upgrade), roof rails, different suspension, body coloured arches and different bumpers and sills making it look like a newer car).
Other random spec includes no heated seats, but it has a panoramic roof and soft close doors!

Pick it up in half an hour.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Soft close doors are one of those things that never fail to satisfy.

They’re also one of those things that never fail to annoy, when NOBODY ever remembers you have them and slam the door as hard as they can.