Your fleet running reports

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by JonMad »

One rounded off countersunk bolt on my sump guard continues to not budge. The hammered in torx bit is only gripping turning clockwise, which doesn't exactly help. Impact wrench is just spinning it (although not jumping out). Tried a little bit of a heat gun, a couple of minutes a few times on low power (300deg, rather than 560) to see if that would help, but it didn't. Maybe I didn't apply enough of that, I have no idea.

Might have to turn to a professional.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

Final resort then - just drill the head off? Remove remains with mole-grips once the guard is fully off.

Even if you damage the guard slightly and need to use a washer with the new bolt - no-one will notice on a sump guard. :?:
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 am Final resort then - just drill the head off? Remove remains with mole-grips once the guard is fully off.

Even if you damage the guard slightly and need to use a washer with the new bolt - no-one will notice on a sump guard. :?:
Will there be anything to grip with mole grips if I drilled the head off?
Ah, ok, there'll be the stud sticking out once the guard is out of the way.
scotta

Post by scotta »

JonMad wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:34 am
mik wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 am Final resort then - just drill the head off? Remove remains with mole-grips once the guard is fully off.

Is it actually just spinning or stuck solid?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just drill the fucker and tap a new hole.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

That.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If you drill it out with a left-handed drill bit it might even come undone when you’re doing it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:51 am If you drill it out with a left-handed drill bit it might even come undone when you’re doing it.
Something else I wouldn't have thought about. Just ordered a lh drill bit set with some extractors as the MX5 has some screws/bolts that will require this! Thanks.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I haven't driven either of my cars for over 2 weeks now (but I have been out riding for an hours or so about 4/5 times a week as my exercise), started the Scooby and re-wired the 12v socket to permanent live so I could easily connect the Solar panel inside (now it's uncovered) and also cleaned the seats with the wet Vax to clean the mould off (got damp when covered up).

Looked at the truck and thought I better chuck the battery conditioner on it, will do that later today.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:02 am Just drill the fucker and tap a new hole.
You're suggesting this to someone mechanically inept, just so you know :lol:
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

scotta wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:00 am
JonMad wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:34 am

Is it actually just spinning or stuck solid?
Stuck. Maybe wasn't clear earlier. With my impact wrench the torx bit is just spinning in the head when turning it counter-clockwise. With a wrench as well, it's only gripping if you try it clockwise. Which may have just tightened it up even more :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

I’d just drill the head off now, but When you say “impact wrench” do you mean an electric job?

I was asking earlier about impact drivers - about a tenner - absolutely superb tools that were named long before some idiots decided to give the same name to a power-tool. :evil:

JonMad

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:04 pm I’d just drill the head off now, but When you say “impact wrench” do you mean an electric job?
Yep. Pic on p385. That was one that I actually got out with it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You could try one of those extraction sets, they’re just reverse threaded drill bits with a tap type head. I’ve had some success with them before as they give more “grip” than just using a drill bit in reverse.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]JonMad[/mention] OK - I’d suggest the simple impact driver will be more effective if there is room to smack it with a hammer, but If I didn’t have one by now I’d be too frustrated to wait, and get the drill out....
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Perfect weather for getting the roof refitted on the A2 8-)
I don't know how to, and I can't take to the people to get it done atm of course :oops:
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:38 pm @JonMad OK - I’d suggest the simple impact driver will be more effective if there is room to smack it with a hammer, but If I didn’t have one by now I’d be too frustrated to wait, and get the drill out....
Ta. I remembered that I might actually have one of those in the garage!
scotta

Post by scotta »

JonMad wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:56 pm
mik wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:38 pm @JonMad OK - I’d suggest the simple impact driver will be more effective if there is room to smack it with a hammer, but If I didn’t have one by now I’d be too frustrated to wait, and get the drill out....
Ta. I remembered that I might actually have one of those in the garage!
or you could try grind a slot in it with a dremmel and a fine cutting disk
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Is this in a sump guard? Just drill it out however it comes out, remove the head and drill a new hole for a new bolt to screw in it’ll place. It’s not as though it’s bodywork/interior that will ever be seen again!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

He should get a prize for persisting with it this long, feels like it’s gone on for a month!