Your fleet running reports

GG.

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by GG. »

Still waiting for a replacement rear light. They appear to be on back order everywhere. Design 911 have 11 people who have ordered and are waiting... shows how bad they are for cracking. :roll:

Let's hope they're here in the next couple of months otherwise it'll be an MOT failure :?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Combo dumped it's coolant today. Had to come home early from only my second day in the office for 18 months to take the truck over to my wife as she was stuck with 4 dogs.
Recovered to the garage for repair. It appears one of the plastic hose connectors on the thermostat housing has sheared clean off, a £70 part to replace so not too bad, just inconvenient. But whoever thought a plastic housing was a good idea on an engine?

Filling the TVR up with fuel I was asked by a van driver to give the TVR a rev. It seems everyone wants to talk about them as he said what a lovely sound they make.

Got to go and fit the new exhaust box to my lads Corsa (exhaust snapped last week) now as we currently have 4 cars with 2 off the road and one is TVR!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Another set of discs and pads done on the ML, that’s the 3rd set in 70,000 miles I think, heavy old bus.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:27 am Another set of discs and pads done on the ML, that’s the 3rd set in 70,000 miles I think, heavy old bus.

Dave!
:shock:

I'm still on the same set of discs as when I bought the 330 9years ago. it's done 70k mi on them. I think either the front or rear pads are also as per when I bought :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:27 am Another set of discs and pads done on the ML, that’s the 3rd set in 70,000 miles I think, heavy old bus.

Dave!

I'm still on the same set of discs as when I bought the 330 9years ago. it's done 70k mi on them. I think either the front or rear pads are also as per when I bought :lol:
Wow. Fitting new pads is never exciting, but I love the feeling of new discs 😎👍
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 am

Dave!

Wow. Fitting new pads is never exciting, but I love the feeling of new discs 😎👍
Same here, but I can barely remember the last time I did. It will be over 11yrs ago at least :shock:
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

You drive too hard. I'm only on my 3rd set of discs on the Transit in 95,000 miles and 20 years. (in fact, from my memory I'm sure it's only had 1 set, but that just can't be right)
Last edited by Gwaredd on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve lost just over 1mm on the discs, I think the limit is another mm but the lip is big enough to change. I regularly drive it like a Wally as it’s quite capable so that may have something to do with it. I could probably get another 10k out of them but while I am in there re-greasing and cleaning it makes sense to change. They do feel lovely after each service too.

Oddly though, the tyres last me just as long as discs and pads 🤔

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If anyone ever works on an Audi product from 1998 to around 2006, any pipe work in the engine bay is made from Shreddies and hope 😂

I replaced the 1 way valve for the breather, I found a broken stub pipe for the N249 (off boost idle and control doodad) a badly perished breather collector pipe, fuel lines looking past their best and the dipstick tube (a 2 piece affair for some reason) needs changing as it’s incredibly brittle.

Should give me all the boost back once the other parts arrive next week.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a shame it’s not like the USA where you just pay a few bucks and get the discs reskimmed in minutes.
How about not having a sig at all?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:37 pm If anyone ever works on an Audi product from 1998 to around 2006, any pipe work in the engine bay is made from Shreddies and hope 😂

I replaced the 1 way valve for the breather, I found a broken stub pipe for the N249 (off boost idle and control doodad) a badly perished breather collector pipe, fuel lines looking past their best and the dipstick tube (a 2 piece affair for some reason) needs changing as it’s incredibly brittle.

Should give me all the boost back once the other parts arrive next week.

Dave!
Mine LOOKS fine, but I dare not prod anything !
tim

Post by tim »

A/C re-gas on the Jaguar today, so I'm no longer cooking inside it. £78 well spent.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

As I was over at my dads to meet before going to help polish his caravan, I took the opportunity to change the fuel filter. Not a clue how long it had been on as the service history was not explicit (though happy there was a hand written note about cam belt and water pump and its a local trustworthy garage).

Straight forward job, not really much to say apart from Its important to clamp the fuel pipes from the tank and to the injector pump and pre-fill the fuel filter as the VP44 pump on these engines is a bugger to bleed. The bits of plastic were wrapped around the pipes to stop the teeth of the mole grips digging in.
Old fuel was clean, no sign of water.

Not sure if a coincidence, but idles a lot smoother, gearstick had a gentle wobble, now it only has a tiny vibration.

After I headed up to help my dad out polish his caravan.

Had a nice short blast on Bingley moor on the way home, here is a snippet of one of my favourite sections...

Beany

Post by Beany »

tim wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 pm A/C re-gas on the Jaguar today, so I'm no longer cooking inside it. £78 well spent.
Working AC in this weather is a bloody treat isn't it?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’ve been so tempted to bin off the mito and use the golf as a daily when I’ve finished with it.

The only thing that puts me off is the lack of aircon. I’m getting soft in my old age. Oe stuff is available, but silly rare, not sure what aftermarket retrofit options there are but bet they’re not cheap.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Thought my air-con was a bit weak in the Jimny yesterday. Turned out I had the temperature knob turned up 1/4 of the way so it was giving me slightly warmed air 😂
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:35 am I’ve been so tempted to bin off the mito and use the golf as a daily when I’ve finished with it.

The only thing that puts me off is the lack of aircon. I’m getting soft in my old age. Oe stuff is available, but silly rare, not sure what aftermarket retrofit options there are but bet they’re not cheap.
I’ve had a few installs made up using parts from Car Builder Solutions, and they works pretty well considering the limitations on where you can put vents on older cars.
John

Post by John »

The aircon in the Panda almost causes the little two cylinder banger to stall :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

New car has finished prep and is ready for collection next week. Shame the weather is due to be utterly dire, not exactly ideal for dangerous RWD.

However, train costs are nuts! I went from the West Mids to Edinburgh 1st class for £90 pre-lockdown. I'm getting about £120 to go in peasant class down to Exeter. Guess it's all the social distancing.
tim

Post by tim »

Balls. Just got in the Jag and the a/c is dead. I don't know if it's all leaked out (it held a vacuum before he filled it) or whether somethign else has failed. It was fine Friday afternoon when I went out and hasn't moved since.

Ah well.. will have to take it up to the blokes workshop and ask him to check if it's still got pressure, then take it from there.