Your fleet running reports

McSwede

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by McSwede »

Yes. Potenza Sport's. At my level of mashing and sawing they don't feel as good as the F1SS and I've only done 6000 miles on them and they're about shot!! F1SS always seems to last really well for the grip on offer.
mik

Post by mik »

1. We had RE040 on the RX8 (Oem fitment). They were grippy in the dry but turned really nasty in the cold - very snappy breakaway. Replaced with Toyo T1R which were much friendlier but too soft of sidewall - steering response was never the same.

2. WRX came on RE050A. They were good. Replaced with F1’s which were better.

3. VXR8 had RE050A (oem). They were also good - I didn’t deviate from this in my tenure.

So Bridgestone aren’t crap in my experience, but none of the above are current offerings.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

The Turanza's are also a fine SUV all-season tyre.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:33 am Yes. Potenza Sport's. At my level of mashing and sawing they don't feel as good as the F1SS and I've only done 6000 miles on them and they're about shot!! F1SS always seems to last really well for the grip on offer.
Is that 6000 on the rears? My mate was asking and I would have said PS4s or Goodyear asymmetric 5 (19" Volvo V60) but both were quite a bit more expensive and you get free puncture guarantees for Potenza Sports. I'll see how he gets on before I decide to try them or not!

Meant to be far better than the previous S001s though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

KevH18 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:42 am
McSwede wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:33 am Yes. Potenza Sport's. At my level of mashing and sawing they don't feel as good as the F1SS and I've only done 6000 miles on them and they're about shot!! F1SS always seems to last really well for the grip on offer.
Is that 6000 on the rears? My mate was asking and I would have said PS4s or Goodyear asymmetric 5 (19" Volvo V60) but both were quite a bit more expensive and you get free puncture guarantees for Potenza Sports. I'll see how he gets on before I decide to try them or not!

Meant to be far better than the previous S001s though.
6k on the rears, yes. I had S001's on my F11 and didn't like them.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

My experience with Bridgestones has been similar to Mik's. Never had any issue with them.
tim

Post by tim »

BMW M140i Shadow Edition - EOTR

2 years 3 months, 24,700 miles. 1 service. No tyres, brakes or oil. A bit of coolant. 1 windscreen. Many trips through France, 1 track day. A lot of smiles. I like the look of the new M135i but I doubt it has the same charm.

Once I bought the Jaguar it's days were largely numbered. A lot has changed here over the past year, and an expensive sporty car on the drive no longer fits into my life as well it did, especially as it largely goes 3 miles and back. I speculatively enquired through WBAC about a month ago and they came back £20,500, so I figured I've give it another month of ensuring the XJ8 is running reliably and then advertise it privately and see what happens, maybe even give those ponces on Collecting Cars a try.

A chance conversation with a mate who trades in Porsche mentioned WBAC had gone a bit mental. So I had another go. £23,400. 3 grand in a month! Dropped it off at their Norwich pod Saturday morning, and once the dude had picked holes with the minor stone chips and light kerbage on the front alloys... it went up another £100. I've no idea what's going on with used car values but once the finance is paid off I'm left with sufficient to more than cover the cost of buying of and fixing up of the Jag.

You will be missed, little pocket rocket.

Jaguar XJ8

Since the gearbox was serviced, it's been wafting around with only the odd 20 year old rattle to accompany the background purr of it's silky smooth V8. Driving the BMW after a week in the Jaguar really makes you appreciate the magic carpet ride.

The front tyres were shagged when I bought it. P6000s that are 10 years old with cracked sidewalls. Rears are 4 years old about half worn. I was going to buy a pair of P6000s because although they are shit tyres, it doesn't really matter on this type of car, and they are period correct OE fitment. However they are fucking expensive it seems, so a set of four Toyo Proxes are going on tomorrow morning. While it's there I'm going to ask them to make a list of any bushes that need replacing, and get that done.

I've got a mobile AC dude coming out Friday to re-fill the system.

I've yet to find the odd intermittent metallic rattle coming from the dash/centre console, but I will not be defeated!

Absolutely love owning this car, far more than I thought I would.
mik

Post by mik »

25k on original tyres is impressive for a powerful rwd-er
Foz

Post by Foz »

Decisions been made regards the Loltus going.

Ideally in one piece, but rolling chassis or drive train as the next favourite.

Started on the button last night after a clean!
tim

Post by tim »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 am 25k on original tyres is impressive for a powerful rwd-er
The rears were down to 3mm, so I was expecting them to check those but they never did! Mine had the optional runflats, which I was at first annoyed about, but I couldn't really fault them. Maybe the ride might have been better on PS4s
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I've fixed the reversing lights and the dash gear indicator lights on the 928. The reversing light relay wasn't getting any power. I checked the wiring diagram and it's pretty clear someone who doesn't know what they're doing has been fucking about with the electrics on the car. I ended up running an ignition live from the wiper motor as a temporary fix. Final fix will be fix the broken track in the instrument cluster, but I'll do that when I pull it out to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

While I was in there I noticed that the car has two aerials. The OE one that's built into the windscreen and another one on the roof that I suspect was fitted by the same moron who's been hacking at the electrics. I'm going to pull both out as eventually I'm going to replace the current stereo with a period correct looking Blaupunkt Bremen that has its own DAB aerial. I never listen to the radio anyway.

Next job is to pull the centre console and fix the vacuum leak in the HVAC system.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Foz

Post by Foz »

tim wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:54 am BMW M140i Shadow Edition - EOTR

2 years 3 months, 24,700 miles. 1 service. No tyres, brakes or oil. A bit of coolant. 1 windscreen. Many trips through France, 1 track day. A lot of smiles. I like the look of the new M135i but I doubt it has the same charm.

Once I bought the Jaguar it's days were largely numbered. A lot has changed here over the past year, and an expensive sporty car on the drive no longer fits into my life as well it did, especially as it largely goes 3 miles and back. I speculatively enquired through WBAC about a month ago and they came back £20,500, so I figured I've give it another month of ensuring the XJ8 is running reliably and then advertise it privately and see what happens, maybe even give those ponces on Collecting Cars a try.

A chance conversation with a mate who trades in Porsche mentioned WBAC had gone a bit mental. So I had another go. £23,400. 3 grand in a month! Dropped it off at their Norwich pod Saturday morning, and once the dude had picked holes with the minor stone chips and light kerbage on the front alloys... it went up another £100. I've no idea what's going on with used car values but once the finance is paid off I'm left with sufficient to more than cover the cost of buying of and fixing up of the Jag.

You will be missed, little pocket rocket.

Jaguar XJ8

Since the gearbox was serviced, it's been wafting around with only the odd 20 year old rattle to accompany the background purr of it's silky smooth V8. Driving the BMW after a week in the Jaguar really makes you appreciate the magic carpet ride.

The front tyres were shagged when I bought it. P6000s that are 10 years old with cracked sidewalls. Rears are 4 years old about half worn. I was going to buy a pair of P6000s because although they are shit tyres, it doesn't really matter on this type of car, and they are period correct OE fitment. However they are fucking expensive it seems, so a set of four Toyo Proxes are going on tomorrow morning. While it's there I'm going to ask them to make a list of any bushes that need replacing, and get that done.

I've got a mobile AC dude coming out Friday to re-fill the system.

I've yet to find the odd intermittent metallic rattle coming from the dash/centre console, but I will not be defeated!

Absolutely love owning this car, far more than I thought I would.
My tourer is more than I paid for it a few months ago as well from
WBAC..
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Delphi wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm I've fixed the reversing lights and the dash gear indicator lights on the 928. The reversing light relay wasn't getting any power. I checked the wiring diagram and it's pretty clear someone who doesn't know what they're doing has been fucking about with the electrics on the car. I ended up running an ignition live from the wiper motor as a temporary fix. Final fix will be fix the broken track in the instrument cluster, but I'll do that when I pull it out to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

While I was in there I noticed that the car has two aerials. The OE one that's built into the windscreen and another one on the roof that I suspect was fitted by the same moron who's been hacking at the electrics. I'm going to pull both out as eventually I'm going to replace the current stereo with a period correct looking Blaupunkt Bremen that has its own DAB aerial. I never listen to the radio anyway.

Next job is to pull the centre console and fix the vacuum leak in the HVAC system.
Old cars, electrics seems to be a thing going on here. Had my alarm replaced yesterday (would have had a crack myself but I wasn't confident over the central locking wiring) after the Christine event left it inop. It's now nice and neat with the bonus of now having microwave protection. I'll also be pulling out the dash at some point to swap the black plastic buttons (which look crap against carbon dash) with aluminium ones and i'll replace all the incandescent tell tales with LED's at the same time.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:25 pm ...with the bonus of now having microwave protection.
You gotta protect your microwave. Hot property 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not mine but I’ll chuck it in here because I know Harry will love it. One of my car club fweinds has just bought his missus a car for doing solos: a 1995 Rover Metro 100 Kensington SE.

7B0CEA82-97CE-4B96-A063-99C3D02E9E58.jpeg
7B0CEA82-97CE-4B96-A063-99C3D02E9E58.jpeg (111.93 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Finally used my smoke tester and found a leak on the Audi, a hole in what I believe is a 1 way valve on the vacuum side, which under boost is leaking.

I’m pretty sure that’s all the pipes under the inlet that will need replacing.

New brakes on the ML tomorrow. I got a good price for the same Brembos I had before through CarParts4Less but they should have arrived yesterday and still no sign.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:21 pm Not mine but I’ll chuck it in here because I know Harry will love it. One of my car club fweinds has just bought his missus a car for doing solos: a 1995 Rover Metro 100 Kensington SE.

7B0CEA82-97CE-4B96-A063-99C3D02E9E58.jpeg
I'd it doesn't have a Jenvey'd 1.8 on a standalone ECU then it ain't worth jack.

(actually can't remember if Harry's was a 1.6 or a 1.8 but three foot flames on the over run made that not matter)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Can’t remember the last time I saw one on the road :lol:

What are their plans for it?

Apparently the mgtf Epas column fits which might be handy on tighter arm twirling stuff. A couple of the tf racks are quicker ratio too although I don’t know if that’s at the expense of some lock.
Cheers, Harry
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Trying to get my B+E test booked is a nightmare, everywhere is booked up 🙄

Bought a towbar for the XF and a wiring kit, so will get that stuck on when I get a spare day, no bumper cut needed and flip down electrics, so it will be invisible when it's not being used which is nice.

I could use the V60 for towing, but its a manual, and although it's had a recent clutch and DMF, and I'll use it if necessary, I'd rather have the extra weight and power of the XF, as well as the Autobox, which is so much nice when towing as well as stressing the car a lot less when maneuvering.

I imagine the XF will use less fuel towing as well, which, when we're allowed to travel again, may make a bit of difference if we go to Spain or France.

And the XF is a much nicer place to be for long journeys as well, DVD/TV to keep the boy occupied, rear blinds, comfier seats and its quieter only needing about 1200rpm to do the legal limit at caravan speeds.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Delphi wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm Final fix will be fix the broken track in the instrument cluster, but I'll do that when I pull it out to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs.
Have you sat in a car with the LED replacements ? People did it on Landrovers and W124s and they all had really bright spots where the LED was which made the light look silly. They don’t have a relaxing glow and are quite distracting at night. Also I don’t know if you have dimmable dash lights but they just don’t work well with them.

Dave!