Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

E92 M3 - 7500 miles this year, all it requested was a brake fluid change and an mot. Cost £105 and two rear tyres at £240 each.

F31 320d - will probably do similar miles over a whole year, but this one had oil and filters plus inspection service £260.

Cheap year for scheduled stuff - that usually means next year will be a big one in ///M servicing!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jobbo »

Can you copy and paste the old posts from Evo in? Thanks Rich.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm Can you copy and paste the old posts from Evo in? Thanks Rich.
I'm just trying to maintain some continuity for the sake of the children...
Marv

Post by Marv »

When I was driving back from Germany last year in the 968, I noticed that the odometer and trip meter had stopped turning.

PITA!

So I didn't manage to get it sorted until last week. It's normally either a cog that has a tooth break, or the little electric motor which turns the mechanism fails.

If it's the motor, then it's a right arse of a job as I'd have to buy a second hand one, then dismantle the cluster to epic proportions and then solder the second hand motor and pray to the odometer god's that it'll work again.

Fortunately, it was just a broken cog:

Re-manufactured cogs can be brought from a few places online. The ones I bought came from Austria.

I still had to remove the cluster from the car and do a little disassembly, though it was a little easier than initially I thought it would be.

After that, I put in a few expensive Philips LEDs (though not their most powerful ones, as I didn't want it to bright, and I went for a low temp LED so they have a bit of a yellowish tinge, to keep it close to OEM)

Anyway, pleased to say that the dials are now turning again as the odometer god's intended!
Last edited by Marv on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Good skills Marv- common problem I assume?
Marv

Post by Marv »

I only know of two other 968s that it's happened to, so I think it's a relatively rare problem. But for companies to sell replacement cogs, maybe it's not?

There has always been people saying that if you reset the trip meter while the car is in motion, it can strip teeth off the cogs...not sure if that's actually true, but needless to say I've always avoided doing that!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You can begrenzunglick my cogs any day Marvold.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ford Mustang V8 - had its first service the other week which presented the perfect opportunity to have a good look under it, pleased to report its clean as a whistle. I'm doing an experiment with the fuel consumption to see what difference regular and SUL has on a big engine, so far I'm getting 32mpg on a run on 95 RON, can't get it below 20mpg when having fun and driving it around town. Roll on the summer to get the roof down!

Ford Focus ST - still running it in after two weeks.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mondeo is shagged.

I noticed the inner edge of the rear tyres was getting warn much quicker than the rest. I cast my mind back to when I had the hunter alignment done when I bought the car and the comment from the garage that they couldn't get the nuts undone on the adjustable bolts on the rear lower arms. But also at least one measurement on the rear was in the red on the Hunter machine printout. Thinking it was because they were just inept and impatient, because they were running late (they had slotted in an unbooked car into my 'timeslot' and were trying to play catchup) I thought I'd have a go at loosening the nuts myself and have a different garage do the alignment.

Sure enough they were stuck fast, even with heat and plusgas applied. So I bought some new nuts and bolts and set to angle grinding off the old nuts, thinking I could remove the old bolts when the nuts were off. Only I can't. They're absolutely seized into the bushes. I then asked the stealer to look at them next week when it's in for a service, but considering what they'll likely charge, and the fact I could buy two new complete lower arms on ebay for less than £90 I've decided to do that instead. They've arrived now and I'll angle grind the whole arm off properly by cutting straight through the bush/bolt in the middle and put the new arms on to replace it. Then I'll likely need some new tyres on to keep it legal.

Didn't really want to spend this money now seeing as it's getting traded in in a couple of months but hey ho.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Marv wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:07 pm I only know of two other 968s that it's happened to, so I think it's a relatively rare problem. But for companies to sell replacement cogs, maybe it's not?

There has always been people saying that if you reset the trip meter while the car is in motion, it can strip teeth off the cogs...not sure if that's actually true, but needless to say I've always avoided doing that!
Maybe it's an old Porsche thing, my 924 did the same!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Daewoo (actually Chevy) Tacoma passed its MOT today. Flying colours; just the four advisories. Still running fine at 47k miles.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 pm Daewoo (actually Chevy) Tacoma passed its MOT today. Flying colours; just the four advisories. Still running fine at 47k miles.
Is this good then? :D
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

IanF wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:14 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 pm Daewoo (actually Chevy) Tacoma passed its MOT today. Flying colours; just the four advisories. Still running fine at 47k miles.
Is this good then? :D
I would have assumed that was bad as it doesn't present any ready opportunity to get rid of it...
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Bought it last year on about 36k miles for £650. I’d say it was a bargain.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

VW MK5 Golf GTi Edition 30

Arrived safe and sound in Aus. Aircon promptly spat its dummy - weird vibrations when running. Changed the altenator clutched pulley as the internet reckoned that was most likely culprit. Made it better but still not right. So a new compressor and a regas, sorted.

Hows this for a clean and tidy workshop :shock:

I also fitted these poly inserts to the upper and gearbox mount - fantastic improvement, no cabin discomfort, would recommend.

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Just this morning got the 330i back. Top service as always from Darren Wood in Stockport. They didn't have a booking until the 19th but said to get it recovered there and they'd fit it in when they could if they had cancellations.

Labour cost only £120 8-)

Have been tooling about in the 125i for 2 weeks though now and bloody hell does mine feel slow and heavy by comparison!

That ZF8 makes it feel so much livelier on the throttle. I need to readjust.
Marv

Post by Marv »

968 had its MOT today.

13th MOT under my ownership - passed with no advisories.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 am Bought it last year on about 36k miles for £650. I’d say it was a bargain.
Isn't the VED on these £285?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Nathan wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 am Bought it last year on about 36k miles for £650. I’d say it was a bargain.
Isn't the VED on these £285?
No, it's an auto so it's worse than that - still very cheap to run though.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Marv wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 pm Image
That shot really takes me back to the many happy times I took the old man's 944 for a good healthy blat. I even got it back to him a few times as well!