Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, my 1/2in drive ratchet has probably been used as much as a hammer as a ratchet :lol: hadn’t noticed until I used it that the new one is a good couple of inches longer which is handy for a bit more leverage.

That set is currently £200, down from £255. I was waiting for a better offer but had a voucher to use up. It still seems expensive, but picking it up and having a proper look it seems impressive value, and I know I’ll get good use from it.

Only slight annoyance is that the sockets don’t all clip into place in the case so you get a sheet of thin neoprene for to hold it down so really it wants to be stored flat, but at least the hinges and latches are metal. Also the socket release button is flush where it was proud on the old ones. Makes them look better and slightly slimmer but a bit more awkward to press.
Cheers, Harry
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I bought the same set as I wanted something decent to work on the 928 and my existing tools had gaps - probably not big enough to justify spending all that money on but you have to treat yourself once in a while! :lol:
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Delphi wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:07 am ...justify spending...
It's always worth justifying tool purchases IMO. I've had countless times over the years where a previous "unnecessary" purchase has got me out of a pickle in the evening or on a Sunday afternoon after the shops have closed.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Hmm, tempting as I can get another 10% off Halfords stuff through a work discount scheme.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:00 am Only slight annoyance is that the sockets don’t all clip into place in the case so you get a sheet of thin neoprene for to hold it down so really it wants to be stored flat, but at least the hinges and latches are metal. Also the socket release button is flush where it was proud on the old ones. Makes them look better and slightly slimmer but a bit more awkward to press.
My Halfords set is about 10 years old, not as comprehensive as yours but has the piece of foam and loose sockets. I think the foam is just to stop them rubbing and scuffing the clipped in tools on the other side when you close it and pick it up. Did they ever make sets like this with clip-in sockets though?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Halfords 1/2” is really nice stuff. The 3/8” stuff not so much as I’ve broken countless 3/8 extensions from them but otherwise been fine.

My ratchets must be 22 years old now and the chrome quality is excellent.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

You can see that some sockets (eg 20mm) have literally never been used…..

The replacement 13mm socket is a decent 6-sider.

Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:11 am
Delphi wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:07 am ...justify spending...
It's always worth justifying tool purchases IMO. I've had countless times over the years where a previous "unnecessary" purchase has got me out of a pickle in the evening or on a Sunday afternoon after the shops have closed.
And if nothing else, you end up with lots of extension bars, which can be surprisingly handy on the rare occasions you find there's a bolt hidden down behind a foot of plastic airbox, etc.
mik

Post by mik »

My dad would buy cheap old spanners n shizzle that he didn’t need from car boot sales, with the intent of chopping them up to make a custom tool if and when needed. Which is more often than one might expect. :ugeek:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 am My dad would buy cheap old spanners n shizzle that he didn’t need from car boot sales, with the intent of chopping them up to make a custom tool if and when needed. Which is more often than one might expect. :ugeek:
That is real wisdom at work ! Like.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, a have a few specially adjusted spanners 😁

Handy to keep the odd imperial socket around to to smash onto a well rounded bolt, and 1/2in is a nice snug fit on a worn 13mm 👍
Cheers, Harry
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

My dad had a load of custom tools made from all sorts. E.g. a bespoke cam locking tool for a slant 4 2.3 Vauxhall Magnum engine made from a socket and bits of angle iron.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Got both sides of elastic replaced on boxster so it now closes properly - only taken a few years to get sorted out.

Need to replace this now - who knew plastic badges were like Gold to buy - any pointers to genuine cheap ones?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Today was the first job on the Cayenne that really smarted, cost-wise. An occasional error relating to valve lift on bank #2 - this engine has variable timing *and* variable lift - eventually settled to a permanent error for the valve lift solenoid. The engine still seemed to run fine but didn't wake up like it should do at higher revs. If you were just pootling you might never even notice.

Anyway. Nobody seems to do an aftermarket replacement, and s/h ones aren't cheap enough to warrant the saving, so I had to bite the bullet and buy a genuine Porsche part. This is what £150 looks like:

FCDFB152-A88E-4915-A3CF-5F46B9964456.jpeg
FCDFB152-A88E-4915-A3CF-5F46B9964456.jpeg (100.04 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Shout out to www.rosepassion.com again for having the best price and getting it here efficiently. No issues with Brexit.

And the good news - full POWAH seems to be restored. I really must do a cold start vid. The V8 makes a lovely noise.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:00 am Only slight annoyance is that the sockets don’t all clip into place in the case so you get a sheet of thin neoprene for to hold it down so really it wants to be stored flat, but at least the hinges and latches are metal. Also the socket release button is flush where it was proud on the old ones. Makes them look better and slightly slimmer but a bit more awkward to press.
I have a Halfords set but I can’t store it flat as it lives in the van stood upright.

I cut a pice of cardboard the same size as the foam, and as it’s a bit thicker it keeps everything in place, never had a problem since
John

Post by John »

Four all season tyres fitted to the Vito, it'll be interesting to see what a difference they make to the pathetic winter traction.

Embarrassingly I managed to get stuck on some wet leaves on the old tyres so will the mud and snow rating improve this? Probably not :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

@John 😂
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Loading up for the BMC Pasture Blaster tomorrow at Popham Airfield with @JonMad. A simple fun event around some cones in a field.

B9AED832-A56E-4CD8-891E-4686B89626C6.jpeg
B9AED832-A56E-4CD8-891E-4686B89626C6.jpeg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Flaps deployed.

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Team OV9 at the Popham Pasture Blaster.

227C149D-9CAE-4DE4-947F-BDB2282832A0.jpeg