Your fleet running reports

mr_jon

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by mr_jon »

Looking at an XC60 to replace the Qashqai - boring I know, but it is just the family wagon. Ideally a 16-plate onwards with the 2.0 diesel, manuel, 2wd. Not sure anyone on here has had one, but if you have, any ownership opinions?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 am Looking at an XC60 to replace the Qashqai - boring I know, but it is just the family wagon. Ideally a 16-plate onwards with the 2.0 diesel, manuel, 2wd. Not sure anyone on here has had one, but if you have, any ownership opinions?
Si was looking at them before going for a Mazda CX5 IIRC. Whether it was down to the specific car or in general he changed his mind I can't remember.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:27 am
mr_jon wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 am Looking at an XC60 to replace the Qashqai - boring I know, but it is just the family wagon. Ideally a 16-plate onwards with the 2.0 diesel, manuel, 2wd. Not sure anyone on here has had one, but if you have, any ownership opinions?
Si was looking at them before going for a Mazda CX5 IIRC. Whether it was down to the specific car or in general he changed his mind I can't remember.
He discovered some damage on that specific car and the dealer were unable to fix it to his satisfaction (in fact he said they made it worse) after a couple of attempts.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

The Bora failed its MOT :( Not really suprised; nothing major - tyre needs replacing as the edge is worn, exhaust brackets need fixing and one of the lights needs replacing or being polished as its not pushing enough brightness. Still not worth spending the cash IMO.

Looks like its off to eBay, unless anyone has any better ideas for shifting it. Been offered £200 scrap to collect off the drive...
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Sounds like less than £100 work Matty

Would be a waste to scrap a Highline , must be worth £1k
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nathan wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:18 pm Sounds like less than £100 work Matty

I was thinking the same

Budget tyre, exhaust hanger (or a £25 weld job if a bracket is rusted through), toothpaste special on the headlight, pass the MOT, then chuck it up for sale for ~£1k and see what offers you get, if you really aren't fussed about keeping it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well my free ride has been sold :lol:
In the end £110 deducted for 2 large areas with clear coat peeling and the stone chipped bonnet.
I don’t think I’ll be able to get insured on the Tesla as it will cost too much - being named on the i3 only added £80 to the premium.

Curious if anyone knows who wbac sell on to? Wondering how much they’ll punt it off for and if they’ll fix the damage...
How about not having a sig at all?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm Well my free ride has been sold :lol:
In the end £110 deducted for 2 large areas with clear coat peeling and the stone chipped bonnet.
I don’t think I’ll be able to get insured on the Tesla as it will cost too much - being named on the i3 only added £80 to the premium.

Curious if anyone knows who wbac sell on to? Wondering how much they’ll punt it off for and if they’ll fix the damage...
It will be sold a BCA auction through their own section (who coincidentally own WBAC)

You could have sold that for £1.5k more as a private sale instantly
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Your entire existence has been sold?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We used We Want Your Car a few years ago and I found the car a couple of weeks later on one of the main auction sites. Then later on again at a local trader. Wasn't much margin in it given it had rear 1/4 damage that needed repairing. IIRC about £500 on a 4k car.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:37 pm
Your entire existence has been sold?
:lol:
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

over the last 400 miles i have avgd 5p a mile in electric compared to 31p a mile in SUL for the GLA45

i should move over to octopus energy next week so hopefully they can get a smart meter installed quickly which will reduce the cost to 1.7p a mile

over a year that's a saving of around £2390 or £2650 on octopus
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm

I was surprised to insure the M3P for 15% less than the GLA45, from what i had read I expected it to be double what i had been paying

i sold to arnold clark who offered 3k more than WBAC and no fees (and 5k more than tesla)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

£9947 from Arnold Clark so still less.

My dad kept the rapid charging cable and charge now card which as an early adopter gives free charging at their chargers. If he sold privately he would have done the decent thing and given those away with the car so long term I don’t think losing a few grand will make too much difference.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:30 pm £9947 from Arnold Clark so still less.

My dad kept the rapid charging cable and charge now card which as an early adopter gives free charging at their chargers. If he sold privately he would have done the decent thing and given those away with the car so long term I don’t think losing a few grand will make too much difference.
i had a couple of offers on wizzle that where more than WBAC as well but it does seam to be a bit random and the range of prices where very surprising

https://www.wizzle.co.uk/
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Nathan wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:18 pm Sounds like less than £100 work Matty

Big problem is that it still leaks like crazy. It's just pissing in through the footwell, I've got the carpets up at the moment. Stinks in there. Been an issue for years, bit otherwise it's a great car.

And if it was a diesel, then maybe, but it's the old 2.0 8v petrol with £330/year tax and shitty MPG. EBay prices for them are crap.

Shame, as it's a good car. Everything works, even the AC and heated seats, drives straight with no noises, no rust, dents or otherwise....but with the leak it's pretty much scrap value.
If I could be arsed it's worth £1k in parts easy.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mr Pish wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm over the last 400 miles i have avgd 5p a mile in electric compared to 31p a mile in SUL for the GLA45

i should move over to octopus energy next week so hopefully they can get a smart meter installed quickly which will reduce the cost to 1.7p a mile

That’s not much of a saving in general running though. In fuel alone that’s around 10,000 miles of running a characterful V8 or similar ?

Is the big saving with company car tax etc ?

I’m guessing though that service costs over say 50,000 miles are massively cheaper with electric ?

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Changed the oil, front diff oil, front pinion seal and pinion drive flange, fuel and oil filters on the Defender today.

The new seal was incredibly hard to get in the diff so I need to keep an eye on that.

Off to Newcastle for a foggy assault course, mud run thing on saturday and then bristol on Monday so ample time to see if it’s fine :(

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Put my private reg on the Grand Vitara. Annoyingly the front plate was held on by two plastic screws, not sticky pads so I had to cut them off because they were stuck. So I used the smaller (legal) plate I had on the front of the MX5 rather than the full-sized plate I'd intended. I swapped them on the day the insurance renewed so I didn't have to pay an admin fee :lol: Which meant I had to do it in the pitch black after I'd got back from work on Wednesday. Took me an hour because I didn't have any other torch to hand except on my phone.

Imagine my annoyance, then, to get home last night and find the bonnet catch wasn't holding the bonnet shut. It was obvious that it was just the spring in the mechanism which had come off, but it's impossible to get to without taking the whole mechanism off the slam panel. So I spent an hour in the dark doing just that and fixing it last night. I was grateful for three things:

1. Having a selection of different sockets and ratchet drivers is invaluable when you need to find one to fit in a tiny gap.
2. Lithium grease is well worth keeping in the garage - the mechanism was a bit stiff which is what caused the problem in the first place.
3. Always, always make sure you have a magnet on a stick. I dropped the three nuts holding the mechanism on down onto the undertray half a dozen times and they'd have been irretrievable without the magnet on a stick.

Maybe also worth doing such jobs before you've had a couple of pints, and not in the pitch dark. Anyway, it's fixed now.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:00 pm
Mr Pish wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm over the last 400 miles i have avgd 5p a mile in electric compared to 31p a mile in SUL for the GLA45

That’s not much of a saving in general running though. In fuel alone that’s around 10,000 miles of running a characterful V8 or similar ?

Is the big saving with company car tax etc ?

I’m guessing though that service costs over say 50,000 miles are massively cheaper with electric ?

Dave!
No traditional type servicing, normal common sense stuff on tyres, brakes and brake fluid although you don't use the brakes much, they recommend the cabin filter is changed every 2 years . I was paying £30 a month for the Merc service plan. The motors and batteries are designed for 500k miles and have an 8 year 120k mile warranty. Although at this rate it will take me about 20 years to hit the recommended max charge cycles on the battery pack.

Its a private car, but next year the BIK on EVs goes to 0% I believe

As to the saving amount I guess if your swimming in cash its not a lot, but 3k a year over 5 years is a serious chunk of wedge for me. I also have a second grand kid on the way so I am bothered about the impact of burning fossil fuels, and taking money away from some of the lunatics and fanatical regimes in the middle east cant be a bad thing either.

Its also a bloody good car IMO, especially for how I use it (45% Mway, 45% London, 10% country lanes), I cant see me going back to an ICE car they just feel old fashioned to me after having instant torque.

I did consider getting a V8 as I really like the GLC63 and the V8 in the RS6 loan car I had was damn addictive, but I only got 13mpg out of that in London over 300 miles.

EV's certainly wont be for everyone but the timing was perfect for me

Over the years i have developed an illogical hatred for petrol stations, the literal burning of £80 every 6 (working) days, and people doing their weekly shop...
Last edited by Mr Pish on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.