Your fleet running reports

GG.

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by GG. »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:23 pm Image

Any ideas if this will come apart to get to the flaky red bit? If I pop it in the oven how long and what temp as I believe this is how to take the lense of the front.

I've been offered a mint red one and flaky other side for 80 quid which is good as a new one is 190.00
I expect you will crack/break it trying but let me know how you get on.

I've had to replace another of mine as it developed a crack, filled with water and stopped working. A known issue with 997.2s as it is two sections of plastic, one clear and one red, which crack along the seam with depressing regularity. Got a replacement ULO unit from Eurocarparts with their healthy discount but was still the thick end of £400 :(

Even more annoyingly, the left one is on its way to getting opaque and stands out like a sore thumb against the new one (pic below). On that basis the cluster I originally replaced when I bought the car (for water ingress too) must have been the same offside one. Double :( :(

That's Winchelsea sea wall BTW [mention]Jobbo[/mention]. Thanks for the tip! We had a fun day out and my son found a Geode on the beach which we split open - looks like we have a rock geek in the making.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If they’re just getting a bit dull and cloudy they can be polished up the same way plastic front lights can be, it’s pretty quick and easy to do.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:02 am That's Winchelsea sea wall BTW @Jobbo. Thanks for the tip! We had a fun day out and my son found a Geode on the beach which we split open - looks like we have a rock geek in the making.
Excellent - it's a funny bit of coast, isn't it? But I really liked Rye and Winchelsea. And Dungeness, but not for a day at the beach :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 am
GG. wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:02 am That's Winchelsea sea wall BTW @Jobbo. Thanks for the tip! We had a fun day out and my son found a Geode on the beach which we split open - looks like we have a rock geek in the making.
Excellent - it's a funny bit of coast, isn't it? But I really liked Rye and Winchelsea. And Dungeness, but not for a day at the beach :lol:
Yes, quite unusual - we managed to just catch the end of low tide when the sand was exposed which was nice but it nearly caught us out with how quickly it crept up the beach - seemed like a foot or so every few minutes.

I think I watched Chernobyl a bit too recently to hang out for long in Dungeness. :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am If they’re just getting a bit dull and cloudy they can be polished up the same way plastic front lights can be, it’s pretty quick and easy to do.
Yes I'll probably give that a try. The key will be doing it gently enough to avoid cracking it :?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

[mention]GG.[/mention] ouch. I've seem some dremmel vids on youtube which look like a massive hatchet job so wont be dooing that.

'I think I did a pretty decent job.....' err no you did not, lad. :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah tail lights are often welded / melted together unlike fronts which use a sealant which can be softened with heat.

The usual way on tail lights is to slice through the back of it, behind the lens join where it won’t be seen, then use a semi permanent sealant like tiger seal to joint them back again afterwards.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

How things change when tyre manufacturers no longer consider 16" to be an alloy size worth of making performance tyres for, with 17" seeming to be the new baseline for any real choice. Back in my day we dreamed of cramming 16" wheels onto a car!

Also, how 'old' would a new tyre need to be before you rejected it? As in, datestamp wise if purchase new - 1? 2? 3 years?
mik

Post by mik »

Buying new, I would not want anything manufactured more than 3yrs earlier.

And yeah - I remember how mad the Cossie 205/50/15 looked beside the ubiquitous 185/60/14 that most hot hatches ran at the time. :o
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Matty wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:56 pm How things change when tyre manufacturers no longer consider 16" to be an alloy size worth of making performance tyres for, with 17" seeming to be the new baseline for any real choice. Back in my day we dreamed of cramming 16" wheels onto a car!

This is the reason I went for the EVO2 wheel on the Merc as all the tyres I could find in 225/55/16 had words like eco, efficient grip and long life in the name :cry:

Dave!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Long live the 195/55/15 in a performance tyre.
A large number of the targa rally peeps use them. Currently PS3s are popular. Mainly as that's the control tyre for some Ginetta Cup series and a chap can get them by the truck load scrubbed after only a few laps of testing at <£25 each. I think there might be a bit of a backlog of requests for them at the moment though.
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I went with the Eagle F1s (Ass2 though!) Mainly because they're £20 a corner cheaper, plus I was under the impression the PS3s aren't as highly regarded as the PS2 and PS4s, something about them being based on a different tyres, and not a "proper" Pilot Sport series?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Fitted a new aerial to the Elise, radio still doesn't work (I'm assuming there's a connection issue elsewhere, and it's not just because signal is notoriously shit anyway). In any case, that is secondary to it looking better compared to the crumbling broken one that was on there. When I upgrade the head unit to a Bluetooth one I'll be using online radio or my own music anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

New windscreen - done a decent job too !

https://autoglass.vehicle-vision.com/pr ... 13e/s13ert
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks good - I'm almost hoping for a rock to crack mine as its an original screen and is peppered with tiny chips and scratches. Plus part of the top seal has a small fold in it and I'm slightly nervous I'm going to start getting rust.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Some slight noise from the front window seals as I nipped out to get lunch - I think a further application of Gummi Pflege is due on the Merc.
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:08 pm Fitted a new aerial to the Elise, radio still doesn't work (I'm assuming there's a connection issue elsewhere, and it's not just because signal is notoriously shit anyway). In any case, that is secondary to it looking better compared to the crumbling broken one that was on there. When I upgrade the head unit to a Bluetooth one I'll be using online radio or my own music anyway.
The signal isnt fantastic on mine either - partly as its got a tiny aerial. I just dont bother as you cant hear the radio!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm Gummi Pflege .
Always reminds me of this clip :lol:

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Fuck it, I’m just going to eat some Haribo instead 😄
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sorry :lol: