Your fleet running reports

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Matty »

The ride quality on the Up is pretty poor with the massive 17" wheels.

I've been trying to find some 16" wheels to fit that don't look chavvy, but all of the OEM stuff is too narrow or too high of an offset (or fouls the calipers). The main reason is to improve the ride quality, and I'll hold onto the 17's for resale.

However...as an alternative, instead of new wheels, I've been thinking about replacing the (crap) Eco tyres which are 195/45/17's with 205/45/17's (PS4's) instead for a bit more sidewall, which should give a slightly better ride? It makes sense in my head, anyway. Chunkier tyre will give a bit more tramlining I suppose.
mik

Post by mik »

Too small a change for you to feel imho. A 50 profile, or a 215/45/17 might be noticeable.... what width are the rims?
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Matty wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 pm The ride quality on the Up is pretty poor with the massive 17" wheels.

I've been trying to find some 16" wheels to fit that don't look chavvy, but all of the OEM stuff is too narrow or too high of an offset (or fouls the calipers). The main reason is to improve the ride quality, and I'll hold onto the 17's for resale.

However...as an alternative, instead of new wheels, I've been thinking about replacing the (crap) Eco tyres which are 195/45/17's with 205/45/17's (PS4's) instead for a bit more sidewall, which should give a slightly better ride? It makes sense in my head, anyway. Chunkier tyre will give a bit more tramlining I suppose.
Would a spacer give you a bit more clearance for the caliper to fit a 16" wheel? I'm guessing it's not the size of the rim that's the problem with the calipers.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Hours on the dyno spent getting all the pectel (cosworth) coms set up for the Loltus last night, the van earning its keep as tow wagon/ workhorse already!

Hopefully dyno time today/Tomorrow and the conclusion of the year+ long hunt for my 90 missing horses :cry: :lol:
Matty

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 pm Too small a change for you to feel imho. A 50 profile, or a 215/45/17 might be noticeable.... what width are the rims?
They're 6.5.
215 is a big increase...!
KevH18 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 am
Would a spacer give you a bit more clearance for the caliper to fit a 16" wheel? I'm guessing it's not the size of the rim that's the problem with the calipers.
Yeah, they catch the caliper. I don't really want to go down the spacer route really, mainly because it appears the rear drums need modifying to fit a hubcentric spacer (from a quick read), plus islts just more cost on top.

I had no idea how expensive new alloys were. A decent set of OZ wheels with tyres will set me back about £1k. I'm well out of touch with the modding scene :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Toyo tyres are often criticised for being too soft - that might be a good thing in this case ?
mik

Post by mik »

215/45/17 needs a 7” rim minimum anyway, so bin that suggestion.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

How about some F1s. They tend to be softer than the Michelins I think?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

They look great on Steelies, have you considered that route ?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Lower your expectations - it's a baby hot hatch. Ours scrabbles from pothole to pothole and laughs if we wince. :D
Matty

Post by Matty »

I have considered steel wheels, and they're cheap too so that might be where I head with it.

I was planning to go for PS4's TBH. Great on the Evora, and we all know how similar the Evora and the Up are.

It's not about expectations, it's more that it can be improved in multiple respects to make it an all-round better car. Plus those Goodyear tyres are shit and burst at the mere sniff of a pothole.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Mechanic text me this picture earlier, it’s one of the vac pipes leading to the recirc valve, mostly explains my boost issue I hope. It’s also been lowered now.

In total I’m around 2 days labour in to the work, anticipated cost is going to be around £1k which is more than I expected.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ You'll have been on the forums so know more than me, do VW list a winter wheel for the GTI? It might be something like a 5.5x15 though :( I take it normal up 16s don't fit? Iirc some mk3 Clios had 6.5x16 steels, I think the centre bore is ok (possibly larger), can't recall the offset though.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

G60 style - they always look pretty good.Image
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

8-) Definitely more sidewall there :D 6x15 et38 iirc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A few months ago someone told Elon that the dash cam system is a bit silly as you can’t play back videos in the car, you have to physically take out the memory card and plug it in a computer - not very convenient. So he said he’ll fix and an update later...
Every Tesla is a 4 camera CCTV system which can be played back in the car. It’s apt that the first thing this one got triggered by was a homeless chap who was having a quick wash and then went on to relieve himself by the shops. So yeah, just don’t do anything dodgy around a Tesla! :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:33 pm G60 style - they always look pretty good.Image
Like 8-)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Matty wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm Plus those Goodyear tyres are shit and burst at the mere sniff of a pothole.
F1s? I've had F1s on my cars since they first came out and never had a blowout :?:
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Mito, didn't know you had a Tesla in your fleet.
M235i
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

My Mums Citicorp has a surprisingly good ride but I can’t remember the sidewall profile.

Those G60 rims look really smart.

Dave!