Your fleet running reports

Foz

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Foz »

911 progressing well, needed metalwork on the arches but it’s coming on well, rear bumper was also shagged, I knew it was crazed, must have nudged a bollard or something, new (Used) replacement sourced..
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Tomorrow begins the saga of getting back from Aldermaston after dropping the Porsche at Northway for its service, MOT and a few odds and ends addressing like the roof not always closing flush on one side. Bracing myself for an interesting train journey or two...
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 pm Tomorrow begins the saga of getting back from Aldermaston after dropping the Porsche at Northway for its service, MOT and a few odds and ends addressing like the roof not always closing flush on one side. Bracing myself for an interesting train journey or two...
I’d be interested to know your opinion on them once you have the car back, my Boxster needs a service and they’re not too far from where I work.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

240PP wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 pm Tomorrow begins the saga of getting back from Aldermaston after dropping the Porsche at Northway for its service, MOT and a few odds and ends addressing like the roof not always closing flush on one side. Bracing myself for an interesting train journey or two...
I’d be interested to know your opinion on them once you have the car back, my Boxster needs a service and they’re not too far from where I work.
I bought mine from Northway and they've always been excellent. I have no qualms recommending them.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Just ordered this new updated Intercooler in unpainted alloy though. It’s double the volume, a more efficient core and a greater surface area. I will even move my horn as that is in front of it currently.

I want to lower my charge temp and exhaust temp. I do t want to fit an EGT so will just fit this. Mine is ok but on long hills you can feel the heat soak get it and the power start to drain away. This helps everything on a diesel as you can’t really run lean so it will help cylinder head temps too.

More excited than I should be for what may be a 1hp gain in power aswell as the other benefits :D

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

240PP wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 am
Good experience buying from them and getting some teething troubles sorted out after purchase. Ray Northway is always helpful. I’ll update tomorrow after the service!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Fabia has gone to see my local man for all the little jobs I had good intentions of doing but am crap at car DIY :D
Left over crest; tightens.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Things finished ahead of schedule by the excellent and cheery Northway. Service, MOT, new drive belt. The roof issue was tracked down to an arm out of shape, which has been replaced. No dramas to report, boringly enough: I think one suspension arm was showing a bit of wear but nothing that needed anything doing about it.

Killed time after picking it up with a picnic by the canal in picturesque neigboring Aldermaston Wharf with the Mrs, although disappointingly the tea rooms were closed.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm The roof issue was tracked down to an arm out of shape, which has been replaced.
A dealer has touched the roof, car now worthless :)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

MX5 - Popped it on the axle stands yesterday evening and got such a sweat on that I stopped the. Got up bright and breezy this morning and changed the rear drop links, one of which had come off at one end. I had mentally prepared myself for it to be a wrestle. With a little forethought I'd soaked the nuts/bolts in penetrating oil a week prior but everything went easily. When they'd been done many years ago they'd had a nice coat of copper slip by the previous owner.

Took maybe 20 mins which was nice. Got to use the new socket set too which was lovely.

It now drives better than ever.

John

Post by John »

Changed the oil and filter on the mx5 this morning. The filter is located in such a way that oil pours everywhere when you remove it but I'd seen a tip to slide a freezer bag over the filter when unscrewing it. There was still some spillage but much better than without.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 am Just ordered this new updated Intercooler in unpainted alloy though. It’s double the volume, a more efficient core and a greater surface area. I will even move my horn as that is in front of it currently.

I want to lower my charge temp and exhaust temp. I do t want to fit an EGT so will just fit this. Mine is ok but on long hills you can feel the heat soak get it and the power start to drain away. This helps everything on a diesel as you can’t really run lean so it will help cylinder head temps too.

More excited than I should be for what may be a 1hp gain in power aswell as the other benefits :D

Dave!
Keep thinking about one for the mighty mito, but they’re £300 and still don’t look very big. Probably doesn’t really need one, but in my head since upping the boost I’m probably running the weeny little turbo out of its efficiency range and generating more heat than it should.

But they’re £300 and don’t look a particularly unusual or complex design. Might take the bumper off and have a look at the space and see if I can bodge something universal on.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The original Land Rover one is not bad but quite thick so seems to struggle once it gets hot. It’s not a particularly big space and I refuse to put anything in front of my radiator.

You can get a full width one which has the inlet and outlet on the same side but We are talking maybe 110 to 150 genuine hp with fuel pump mods and an extra half bar of boost. Not worth it for what I need.

I’ve looked at a load of cheaper cores and they all look like junk. Manufacturers do make some very nice ones as standard so for a smaller engines Mito there should be a decent range to choose from. Hot air is crap so the closer to ambient the better.

Apparently a TD5 intercooler is a good swap onto a TDI and they are cheap, all depends where your inlet and outlet need to be.

I await the build thread on your chargecooled water controlled through the air con system with a spray bar and methanol mixture ;)

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I finally pulled my finger out and got to diagnosing why the Defender would no longer squirt. This required a bit of poking about and blowing to see where the stoppage was and...

Hidden under the fecking blower by the bulkhead was this thing attaching the 2 bits of washer tubing together
It’s a type of one way valve with a ball and spring. The spring was seized causing the ball to shut the valve so a bit of gentle persuasion by holding it up to a 160 psi air line and she squirts like the day she was made ie still very much pathetic :lol:

A small victory but a victory none the less.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I have Peugeot spray bars on mine, a huge improvement. When you have a spare wheel on the bonnet the jets are utterly hopeless.

Remove the 1 way valve, it works better without it.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I will just drill out the ball if it does it next time, easier than finding the connector.
Yeah would be nice is it actually had more than 2 jets of water, I don’t know if the pumps crap/worn too as it just seems weak all round, I suspect it wouldn’t be able to spray effectively with a wider nozzle.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve got 7 jets on a standard pump through a much longer hose.

If you want to blow some money, go to Croytecs website and put 2 squirters on :shock:

Dave!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Found a BMW indie near me who has good reviews, so I've booked the 235i in for a service and to get a few minor things sorted. I just don't trust BMW two year or 15k miles service intervals.
M235i
Nic

Post by Nic »

Thermostat being done today, ordered part from Porsche last Wednesday, received Saturday. Because it is a facelift it has metal cooling pipes and thermostat housing unlike the earlier 4.5 V8s which had plastic pipes. While we’re in there getting the spark plugs changed and the aux belt is cracking a bit. Fingers crossed I’ll get it back tomorrow.

Hopefully that’s the mechanical side sorted and then on to the cosmetics, starting with lowering it.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am Found a BMW indie near me who has good reviews, so I've booked the 235i in for a service and to get a few minor things sorted. I just don't trust BMW two year or 15k miles service intervals.
2 years intervals on any car sounds mental to me.