Your fleet running reports

ZedLeg

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by ZedLeg »

I said before but all of the big three will let you spec the V8 in their most basic spec trucks for not a lot of money. They’re still big but not stupid size compared to SUVs these days.

They appeal to me quite a lot.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just had a run out in the MX5 to see how it feels after some fettling. FiL's business in on a private rural estate so I had some space in which to drive it. Very happy. Engine sweet and went to the limiter as it should, gearbox was a little notchy so would probably benefit from a longer drive and suspension seemed a little on the soft side but I've got that covered thanks to Mr Jobson. May get MOT garage to put them on this week. Brakes and handbrake worked properly too

All in all, I'm very happy.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Found a sensibly priced set of brembo 4pots for the mito. Might seem like overkill but they fitted them as standard on the 155 and 170bhp models, so seems a sensible upgrade on my 135 which should be making 160ish.

Internet wisdom says they don't fit normal models, all the research I've done says all the uprights are the same so there's no reason why they won't as long as you get the brackets which aren't available separately.

Will wait and see if they fit before ordering the required larger (305mm over 285mm ) disks, and see what sort of condition they're in and decide whether I rebuild them first.
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:28 pm Found a sensibly priced set of brembo 4pots for the mito. Might seem like overkill but they fitted them as standard on the 155 and 170bhp models, so seems a sensible upgrade on my 135 which should be making 160ish.

Internet wisdom says they don't fit normal models, all the research I've done says all the uprights are the same so there's no reason why they won't as long as you get the brackets which aren't available separately.

Will wait and see if they fit before ordering the required larger (305mm over 285mm ) disks, and see what sort of condition they're in and decide whether I rebuild them first.
They were optional on the Mito 155ps Veloce (but were really cheap, from memory). I managed to set mine on fire chasing Jonmad’s CLK55 across the Black Mountain.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That sounds properly Italian :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've already had a few smelly brake / long pedal moments so any sort of a sensibly priced upgrade can only be a good thing. I'm not expecting them to stop the world spinning, and don't want to spend £1k+ on a proper aftermarket big brake kit for a sensible little runaround I'm going to be leaving alone :lol:
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I thought they were excellent. The day they got a bit smokey I was definitely pushing the envelope in that grey area between “talent” and “luck” :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 pm I was definitely pushing the envelope in that grey area between “talent” and “luck” :lol:
A wonderful place to spend a while, every now and again 😂😂
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I genuinely miss that car. It was an absolute riot.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 pm I thought they were excellent. The day they got a bit smokey I was definitely pushing the envelope in that grey area between “talent” and “luck” :lol:
I remember a few instances like that being what made me throw the Fiesta St159 280s on the Puma (which were a genuine bolt on and even came with plenty of meat on the pads from the scrapyard).

Never experienced fade again, and not because I drove the car any gentler :lol:

Having 'too much brakes' is definitely one of those big things that makes a car feel easier to drive quickly, with far more confidence that you can stop in time :o

Just a shame the Puma ended up having to much breaks, in the end.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Beany wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:30 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 pm I thought they were excellent. The day they got a bit smokey I was definitely pushing the envelope in that grey area between “talent” and “luck” :lol:
I remember a few instances like that being what made me throw the Fiesta St159 280s on the Puma (which were a genuine bolt on and even came with plenty of meat on the pads from the scrapyard).

Having 'too much brakes' is definitely one of those big things that makes a car feel easier to drive quickly, with far more confidence that you can stop in time :o

Switching to better compound pads in the lotus made a big difference.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:54 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:28 pm Found a sensibly priced set of brembo 4pots for the mito. Might seem like overkill but they fitted them as standard on the 155 and 170bhp models, so seems a sensible upgrade on my 135 which should be making 160ish.

They were optional on the Mito 155ps Veloce (but were really cheap, from memory). I managed to set mine on fire chasing Jonmad’s CLK55 across the Black Mountain.
:D a fine day indeed.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

scotta wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 pm

I've switched pads in the M140i to Brembo Xtra and that made a big improvement for not a lot of money
scotta

Post by scotta »

McSwede wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 am
scotta wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 pm

I've switched pads in the M140i to Brembo Xtra and that made a big improvement for not a lot of money
i'm running CL RC5+ on the lotus. I switched from Mintex 1144's
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Took the Boxster to Scarbados at the weekend - av 28 mpg - can't grumble at that. It is probably the most screwed together car I've had including brand new ones. No rattles, creaks etc. The last golf's driver's side window wasnt fitted properly not what you would expect in a 35k car.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Quite nice having a solidly put together car, innit? BMW much the same, everything feels like it'll last 50 years. I get occasionally creaks and rattles but that's because I've not picked up any gummy phledge or whatever it's called yet.

Also note to self, it's MOT time. Best get it booked in this week and see if owt needs doing. It's not been feeling remotely wobbly or running weird or doing anything untowards, and it was clean as a whistle last year so hopefully it'll be straightforward.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Fake Taxi Vitara has gone off to a new home, with an eastern European chap in Croydon who is going to fix it and export it. I thought an auction with a low start price on eBay would be the way to go; I accepted an offer within an hour and a half of it going up so pulled the auction and let him take it. Saved messing with a bidder who turned up and decided that the scratches were worse than I'd said, or similar.

Replacement not yet decided upon; it'll be either a Toyota Land Cruiser (2010-on LC5 for preference, though £16-17k is a bit more than I originally intended to spend on a car to scratch up) or a Jimny or a Shogun. Probably. Who knows.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

And some driving lessons for the wife...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy back with a clean bill of health. Only advisory were the rear pads that were wearing thin. Had them replaced and we're good for another year/11k miles (our annual mileage is surprisingly consistent, between 10.5 and 11.5k a year in our ownership).

Full service on top and that's as exciting as it gets.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:36 pm And some driving lessons for the wife...
Do they teach you not to drive home with an overheating engine as part of test prep these days? Seems a bit niche 😂