Your fleet running reports

Coaster1

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Coaster1 »

Barry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not that anyone really cares but my Ioniq Electric arrived today
8-) ⚡️
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I ordered a 2nd hand water pump inlet housing for the bay of E this week. The mild steel elbow that dissolved on the previous one needed treating on the replacement so I cleaned it up with the wire wheel on a grinder. Then I sprayed it black with hammerite. When I got it home I covered the exposed area in epoxy resin so it should last yonks now! I also set about removing the undertray today to try find the P/steering leak but one of the 10mm bolts has rounded and my special 10mm rounded bolt removal tool just will not grip it enough to budge it. Bugger! I shall resume efforts in the morning. May end up having to take it for an MOT with power steering disconnected so long as it isn't stoopidly heavy.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Barry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not that anyone really cares but my Ioniq Electric arrived today, currently trickling juice from my house so I can travel further than 30miles from my home (it arrived with 67miles range left.. thanks Holdcroft).
I think the new forum title needs to be "The Thrill of Charging" with so many rolling around in electric cars on here...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Matty wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:52 pm
Barry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not that anyone really cares but my Ioniq Electric arrived today, currently trickling juice from my house so I can travel further than 30miles from my home (it arrived with 67miles range left.. thanks Holdcroft).
I think the new forum title needs to be "The Thrill of Charging" with so many rolling around in electric cars on here...
its good, we can hear the reality of running an EV from our peers. I’ve enjoyed hearing Simon, Mitoboy and of course Harry Ms experiences.

My overall opinion is definitely shifting - though I’m still of the opinion that if you need a second car to overcome their weaknesses, then they’re not a fully developed alternative to ICE.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Absolutely. The more there are out there in the hands of normal people the better.

My little spam chariot shold be the ideal candidate for being replaced by an ev, but I want to see how they perform long term in the real world before I consider a substantial investment in one.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t think my parents drive anything else these days. The Model 3 has done 6000 miles in just over 3 months, everything else is collecting dust. With the i3 it was really susceptible to cross winds so not suitable for this time of year, longer journeys were not as comfortable as in a larger car as it’s quite nervous on motorways due to its skinny tyres and quick rack and on good days it was lacking performance to be a fun car so it gave the opportunity to use the other cars frequently. The Tesla doesn’t have any of those downfalls so it’s used everyday plus the big boot makes it practical.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I still have the Civic TypeR lads, I've not defected fully, but these things are coming whether you like it or not. I just decided it was time to try one out.

Been out on a longer run today, 40miles (each way) to my folks, A roads and M6. Car used 20% going (tail wind) and 27% on the return leg into the wind and wet. It's not a drivers experience but it is a novel one, effortless, quiet, loads of clever tech working to help make your journey as easy as possible. Playing with the regen on the paddles becomes a challenge, sometimes best coasting with no regen, other times using max regen to slow the car to a halt. Then the radar cruise on the motorway was quite novel, adjusting the following distance and accelerating back up. All stuff the Civic doesn't have remember, so all this is new to me.

I have a Hyundai app to control the car charging, preheat, scheduled charging, bla bla. Another app for charging point locations, another app for specific chargers.. a little overwhelming but appealing to the geeky side of me for now.

All in, the car is "fun" to use in its own way, and the way it builds speed has some appeal too, it'll fairly stomp up steep hills where you might find an n/a petrol tailing off. The steering is crazy light in normal mode, the brakes include some regen for some reason, which makes them wooden and overly servo'd in use. I'm finding I use the regen paddles more than braking though, which is what they want you to do. The car works best if you drive efficiently, and encourages you to do so, which is strangely addictive in itself.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Rich B wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:14 pm
Matty wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:52 pm
its good, we can hear the reality of running an EV from our peers. I’ve enjoyed hearing Simon, Mitoboy and of course Harry Ms experiences.

My overall opinion is definitely shifting - though I’m still of the opinion that if you need a second car to overcome their weaknesses, then they’re not a fully developed alternative to ICE.
It was an observation, rather than a criticism - seems to be a rather rapid uptick on here recently. It won't be long before the 60-100mph thread is replaced by the 40-100% thread !
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:51 pm I still have the Civic TypeR lads, I've not defected fully, but these things are coming whether you like it or not. I just decided it was time to try one out.
That’s exactly my point. You still have another car because an EV isn’t actually good enough to properly rely on. That’s lame imo, it goes against the whole point of running an efficient new mode of transport if you then HAVE to have the supposed old fashioned one too.

Until you can confidently ditch the ICE too and have none of current EV draw backs, they’re just not there imo.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:28 am
Barry wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:51 pm I still have the Civic TypeR lads, I've not defected fully, but these things are coming whether you like it or not. I just decided it was time to try one out.
That’s exactly my point. You still have another car because an EV isn’t actually good enough to properly rely on. That’s lame imo, it goes against the whole point of running an efficient new mode of transport if you then HAVE to have the supposed old fashioned one too.

Until you can confidently ditch the ICE too and have none of current EV draw backs, they’re just not there imo.
I've only kept the Civic on as it'll cost me next to nothing to do so, but I'll report back if and when I feel the need to use it instead of the EV. When the insurance is due in October I'll have another think about the situation too. As a failing petrolhead I do wonder if I'll need to use it for anything other than pure fun runs, I don't need to do large drives very often.

I think this generation of EV is just about good enough for most people's needs tbh, and the next one's will be very tempting. A Kona has near enough the range of my Civic, and similar power claimed. It's just not a hothatch type of car.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:29 am A Kona has near enough the range of my Civic,
it just doesn’t though does it. You could drive 1000 miles in 24 hours in your Civic if you wanted, there’s basically no “range” to an ICE because it takes about the same time as it would take you to have a piss to reset that range!

Of course, the counter to that is you obviously won’t be driving 1000 miles in a day, but you could very easily be doing a 300 mile journey often enough for an EV to just not be capable of it without serious inconvenience.

I think everyone who runs an EV should ditch their ICE and prove the case properly!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich had spoken! We must all do as Rich says! All others will be put to death!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I get this all the time, somehow folk expect the car industry/the world to satisfy THEIR demands. The best example was a plasterer telling me he couldn't swap his work transit for something like the Zoe....er no, no-one is saying you should, mate.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The thing is, we use a variety of vehicles based on the limitations of each, it’s just that we’re used to the limitations of the ICE and people don’t like change. I don’t use my car to go to Tenerife (although I could), I don’t use a motorbike to do my weekly shop, and I wouldn’t even take my car the couple of hundred miles to London, I’d use the train pretty much every time.

We’re already a 2 car household Most of the time we’ve had a fun car and a more practical car. Should I have sold the practical car to prove the effectiveness of my fun car? It’s a completely nonsensical argument.

The vast majority of people’s car use is perfectly matched to current EV tech: commuting to work and back, doing the weekly shop and pottering about locally. Just because you are a special and different little soldier doesn’t mean that manufacturers won’t go after the mass market first.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

There is an EV YouTuber that tests the cars on a 1000km round trip, and times them for comparison, as it happens. The Kona will jump from 20%-80% in an hour so you'd be looking at an hour's break every 200+ miles. I'm willing to bet you'd do similar in an ICE car in reality.

In the last year there is one occasion where I needed to run down a full tank of petrol, fill up, and immediately run that down. That was on a long weekend in Scotland chasing like minded petrolheads. The rest of the year I would be just fine in this EV, and I have a two year lease to prove/disprove that case.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:36 am I don’t use my car to go to Tenerife (although I could), I don’t use a motorbike to do my weekly shop, and I wouldn’t even take my car the couple of hundred miles to London, I’d use the train pretty much every time.
Annoyingly you couldn’t do any of those things in a Honda E! 😂

You seem to take my opinions as a personal insult Rev - sorry if I’ve offended you - you don’t have to listen to me or agree or obey in any way shape or form - I’m not important to you!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 am There is an EV YouTuber that tests the cars on a 1000km round trip, and times them for comparison, as it happens. The Kona will jump from 20%-80% in an hour so you'd be looking at an hour's break every 200+ miles. I'm willing to bet you'd do similar in an ICE car in reality.

In the last year there is one occasion where I needed to run down a full tank of petrol, fill up, and immediately run that down. That was on a long weekend in Scotland chasing like minded petrolheads. The rest of the year I would be just fine in this EV, and I have a two year lease to prove/disprove that case.
that means a Kona can do 155 miles at a time (in perfect conditions, not 200+ though.

Fair play to you Barry, as I said, I’m genuinely interested how people like you, who I respect the opinion of, get on rather than strangers with agendas.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 am You seem to take my opinions as a personal insult Rev
Not even slightly. I don’t have an EV so why would I take it personally? I just think that the particular argument you were making was idiotic and I decided to call it out.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 am You seem to take my opinions as a personal insult Rev
Not even slightly. I don’t have an EV so why would I take it personally? I just think that the particular argument you were making was idiotic and I decided to call it out.
are we onto insults and name calling already?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 am
are we onto insults and name calling already?
I called your argument idiotic, not you.
Middle-aged Dirtbag