Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

Pretty sure the light comes on just as the dial hits the red, the warning on the screen came on a couple of minutes before that photo, and yes, the range thing is annoying, I'm pretty sure it was showing 50+ on the way to work.

There's still a fair bit left on the gauge, but being Italian didn't fancy risking it further today.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The gauge is pretty accurate for lighting up with 5 litres remaining, I’ve filled up just as it lit up and it’s taken just over 40 litres every time which I guess is accounting for the tube up to the filler.
Thinking more the computer might beep at 50 miles estimated range, then stop showing it. I can’t remember as I fill it twice a year :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Was quite impressed that the dash mount Tomtom will ask if you want directions to the nearest petrol station when the light comes on. I always assumed it was just a handy 'dumb' mount which just supplied power and saved you having to stick one to the screen.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

More MX5 news.

Fitted the rear calipers and bled the system filling with new dot5. All relatively easy with only a little heat and gentle persuasion required for a couple of bolts. Then hooked the compressor up to the fag lighter to pump up the tyres. Started the engine to give a decent warm up and keep the battery topped up. Suddenly realised there was coolant and power steering fluid spewing all over the floor. Bollocks!

Tracked the coolant to a pinholes pipe on the water pump inlet assembly. Tucked behind the PS pump and a bit of a faff to remove and I also broke the gasket ☹️

Steering leak requires more detective work!

Tomorrow will be a leak hunt as well as changing the diff oil. I'll also be cleaning up the 2nd hand water pump inlet housing I got from a breakers and giving the mild steel pipe a few coats of paint.

Tried to undo the wishbone/coilover bolts the other day and gave up. I'll let a garage put them on I think as I'm running out of time to get it ready for an MOT to really see how buggered it is 😂
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Just get a non-smart charger off the interballs and stick it in yourself. Wiring one is about as easy as it gets.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm Just get a non-smart charger off the interballs and stick it in yourself. Wiring one is about as easy as it gets.
Really? Wiring the breaker into the consumer unit? Isn't it also a teeny bit illegal these days?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:26 pm
mr_jon wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm Just get a non-smart charger off the interballs and stick it in yourself. Wiring one is about as easy as it gets.
Really? Wiring the breaker into the consumer unit? Isn't it also a teeny bit illegal these days?
My mate is qualified to do it but by the time you get a decent 2nd hand charger and the bits you're near enough at the install costs. And I don't want the risk of a non certified install causing issues with the car. I could always go cheaper and get a non-smart version and ignore the OLEV grant but then I lose out on the extras down the line. It's not the money per se, just the usual semi hidden costs of these things. If I bought a 2nd hand car I'd likely have to pay out getting niggles fixed.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

oh noes I will pay for some chump to do a bad job at £100 an hour.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 pm
oh noes I will pay for some chump to do a bad job at £100 an hour.
:lol: Literally had one guy quote £190 labour Jon. Needless to say he won't be getting a call back.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

:mrgreen:

The latest scam is charging x no of hours and many £ in materials to fit an earthing rod to comply with latest regs. Er its a copper coated bit of steel for 10 squid.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Glad I got mine done a couple of years ago when it was £99 fitted after grant!

Ohme wall charger is apparently £349 fitted after grant, or the other route would be getting a simple 32a commando socket fitted and buy an Ohme cable/charger (£199 if you’re an Octopus energy customer).
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:04 pm Yep the dial turns on when you have 5 litres left. The screen warns you when you have 60 miles I think so it depends on your recent driving as to when that one beeps. When I’ve been driving solely in London it will give the low fuel warning with over 1/4 tank remaining.
Renault, as I may have said before, and may say again, is particularly annoying in this department. When range gets to <40 it changes to just show “— “ and the needle, iirc, drops to the bottom. So it becomes a complete guessing game.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

simon_g wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 pm Glad I got mine done a couple of years ago when it was £99 fitted after grant!

Ohme wall charger is apparently £349 fitted after grant, or the other route would be getting a simple 32a commando socket fitted and buy an Ohme cable/charger (£199 if you’re an Octopus energy customer).
Pretty sure my dad had a quote for £100 after grant just a few weeks ago and that additional cost was mainly because he wanted the charger 30 metres away from the incoming mains but that price is from his own electrician who he’s know for years. I guess everyone’s jumped on the rip off bandwagon.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

JonMad wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:34 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:04 pm Yep the dial turns on when you have 5 litres left. The screen warns you when you have 60 miles I think so it depends on your recent driving as to when that one beeps. When I’ve been driving solely in London it will give the low fuel warning with over 1/4 tank remaining.
Renault, as I may have said before, and may say again, is particularly annoying in this department. When range gets to <40 it changes to just show “— “ and the needle, iirc, drops to the bottom. So it becomes a complete guessing game.
As I think Mike the scan once said - not a bad idea when you first get a car to have a can of petrol in the boot and make yourself familiar with the low end of the gauge.

I got used with my 197 to noting when the range tripped to -- and knowing I had at least 35mi left. I did once run it some way further than that even, unintentionally. But it meant I had a good idea of how much it had in reserve
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

From a rough guess of how much petrol was, I got around 42l in what is supposed to be a 45l tank. I don't know if that 45l is plus a small reserve amount plus a litre or so you can squeeze in the filler pipe. I didn't brim it until I could see fuel, just until it had clicked off a few times.

And yeah, not having a petrol can on me and not being familiar with how it behaves at the very bottom I didn't want it to get all the way to 0 just in case.
Cheers, Harry
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

The Mazda 6 went from 50 to 0 in about 30 miles of normal driving but when I filled it up there was aboout 8 litres let in there - 64l tank and filled it up with 56l of diesel. When it got to 0 it limited the power. I thought something was wrong with it!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Fitted glow plug controller & brake shields.

Discovered oil all over the injectors due to a broken breather hose.

Two steps forward, one step back...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:34 pm Fitted glow plug controller & brake shields.

Exactly where I've been at with the MX5 😂
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

A2 now has mot. Both rear springs had lost the bottom coil, were seated well, and didn't come loose when the dampers were disconnected and the rear axle dropped; I very much like the thoroughness of this mot 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:34 pm Fitted glow plug controller & brake shields.

A good job you've taken to it.