Your fleet running reports

V8Granite

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by V8Granite »

I was going through a load of stuff at my parents and throwing it away. I found a load of cassettes and grabbed a few interesting ones to use in the Merc, hoping they weren’t stretched or ruined.

First tape, first song, MC Hammer Can’t Touch This : 8-)

Getting excited about a few night drives so I can stretch it’s legs to some 90s music :D

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Looks like I also need glow plugs on The 7 :roll:

Drove to work no problem yesterday but when I started it up at the end of the day it was idling really really rough and chucking out white smoke. Turned it off and back on, still the same. Revved it a bit and it cleared and settled down. Drove home no problem.

Same performance this morning (when it was much colder) although not quite as bad.

It'll be somewhere around £100 for new plugs, and a couple of hours of my time as they're buried under the intake manifold and you have to dismantle a lot of stuff to get at them. It's also a good opportunity to clean out the EGR gubbins.
mik

Post by mik »

Evora has alu buttons for parking(lights) and headlights.

One press of the headlight button switches on both, but for the last 4yrs I’ve found it a faff that to switch them off you need to prod first the headlight button, then the parking light button. Hardly a chore if you are on a road trip, but annoying if you are in & out popping to the shops or something.

Found out today that I don’t need to do this.

A 1-second press of the headlight button extinguishes both. Doh! :oops:

And worse - leaving them on, exiting the car and locking with the fob activates 30 secs of follow-you-home lighting, before they all turn off themselves. DOH! :oops: :oops:

Idiot.

RTFM guys.

Picture of a library for reference:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am What you getting next Matty!
Well I did want an Exige Roadster, but prices aren't where I hoped they'd be (same with the Alfa 4C) so it might be too much of a stretch unless I swap the Up for something cheaper to free some cash. It'll be back to one car probably...currently looking at the Lexus RC-F (because V8) or popping a brave pill and trying a Giulia QF. Final choice is to sit on the cash and use the Up for some Autosolo.
mik wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 pm A 1-second press of the headlight button extinguishes both. Doh! :oops:

And worse - leaving them on, exiting the car and locking with the fob activates 30 secs of follow-you-home lighting, before they all turn off themselves. DOH! :oops: :oops:
I knew about the long press, but I find a quick 2-press is easier than a long 1-press. The follow-you-home lighting is a new one on me though! I shall try it later tonight while I'm out....unless it's just a later model year thing?
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:52 pm
The follow-you-home lighting is a new one on me though! I shall try it later tonight while I'm out....unless it's just a later model year thing?
All series1 cars.

I just went out and tried it. Headlight button backlight pulses for the 30secs it is active.

My gob was smacked.
Matty

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:57 pm
The follow-you-home lighting is a new one on me though! I shall try it later tonight while I'm out....unless it's just a later model year thing?
All series1 cars.

I just went out and tried it. Headlight button backlight pulses for the 30secs it is active.

My gob was smacked.
While this is temporarily TLF, do you ever have an issue with your car refusing to lock in certain locations? Outside peoples houses it opens fine but regularly refuses to lock, I have to keep jabbing at the button. When I'm in car parks, on the street or anywhere, locks first time. It's almost like there's something interfering with it.
mik

Post by mik »

Nope.

Tried your other key?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Matty wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:52 pm
mik wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:57 pm
All series1 cars.

My gob was smacked.
While this is temporarily TLF, do you ever have an issue with your car refusing to lock in certain locations? Outside peoples houses it opens fine but regularly refuses to lock, I have to keep jabbing at the button. When I'm in car parks, on the street or anywhere, locks first time. It's almost like there's something interfering with it.
Aliensmeme.jpg

Love the RCF.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I know I'm massively biased but for the money is the RCF really better than an M3 ? QF is interesting but terrifying.

7 update - having read the fault codes it's looking like it's the glow plug controller rather than glow plug(s). Which is good news as it's slightly cheaper, and doesn't require me to strip the intake system down ! It also explains why the car went from perfect to bag-o-shite in one step. With one or two glow plugs out it'll still start up OK. If the controller packs up then all six stop working simultaneously.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] but it would have to be an E92 (?) for V8.

Good news about glow-plugs. I chased a continually-blowing-gloplugs issue in my ZXVolcane TD a million years ago - it was a huge PItA.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am I know I'm massively biased but for the money is the RCF really better than an M3 ? QF is interesting but terrifying.
"Better" doesn't really bother me - I do prefer to do "different". Same reason I bought a 147GTA and a VXR8. Neither were the best in their class, but I never saw other ones on the road. Same with the Evora, TBH, but that just has the benefit of (arguably) the best in its class....I just prefer the left-field choice.

And [mention]mik[/mention] the follow-me-home lights worked...awesome 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

8-)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Matty wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am I know I'm massively biased but for the money is the RCF really better than an M3 ? QF is interesting but terrifying.
"Better" doesn't really bother me - I do prefer to do "different". Same reason I bought a 147GTA and a VXR8. Neither were the best in their class, but I never saw other ones on the road. Same with the Evora, TBH, but that just has the benefit of (arguably) the best in its class....I just prefer the left-field choice.
I was looking at the RCF as well. And the GSF actually. Main thing that put me off was the touchpad controller for the infotainment - it looks like a ballache to use and would be the kind of minor daily irritant that would ultimately piss me right off.
John

Post by John »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am
7 update - having read the fault codes it's looking like it's the glow plug controller rather than glow plug(s). Which is good news as it's slightly cheaper, and doesn't require me to strip the intake system down ! It also explains why the car went from perfect to bag-o-shite in one step. With one or two glow plugs out it'll still start up OK. If the controller packs up then all six stop working simultaneously.
I had the same thing happen to my cls. One morning it took a few more seconds to start and then produced a huge cloud of white smoke. A new controller sorted it.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

That’s good to hear.

New one ordered, will be here tomorrow, I’ll fit it at the weekend.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Matty wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am

And @mik the follow-me-home lights worked...awesome 8-)
My Elise does not do this....
scotta

Post by scotta »

Currently...

Jobs in progress.
Track rod end replacement - old one is off and looks like the new replacement one is the same length so the Geo should be about ok. Will check it at racebase when its got wheels and brakes.
Brake pads replacement all round,
Oil and filter change (oil drained - new oil arrived yesterday)
Fuel Filter change - not started.
Refurbishment of suspension arms and paint with POR15 - In progress ive done one corner prep and started another.
Clean Air Filter - not started.
Fix annoying chip on wheel - Not sure if this was done when i got the tyres changed or when i dropped a wheel in the gravel chasing a GTR. Slowly building up the paint layers. Its never going to be perfect but if it stops corrosion that will do.
ARB Drop link - one side was fooked so i did that for the MOT last year. I have a spare for the other side that looks a bit crusty so may as well swap that when its up in the air.
And finally the big job. Rear brake pipes. Been advisory on the MOT for 2 years so its probably time to do something about it. It does involve however removing the fuel tank and running new lines which ive never done before so im considering paying a man to do that job. Because of this im also holding off on doing the brake fluid - got a litre of RBF660 to flush through.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m surprised a modern diesel needs glow plugs to start at all.

Dave!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It doesn’t, as I’ve discovered the last couple of days ! :lol:

It just that it starts MUCH better with glow plugs.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 am It doesn’t, as I’ve discovered the last couple of days ! :lol:

It just that it starts MUCH better with glow plugs.
I honestly thought in the last few years they had done away with them entirely, clearly I’m behind the times.

Dave!