Your fleet running reports

KevH18

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by KevH18 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 pm
KevH18 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:13 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Mine also had a recall to update the software to account for the chain stretching over time. Had a TS on an 09 plate for about 50k miles (bought with 73k on the clock), apart from a couple of seized brake calipers it never went wrong. Good cars.
Won an auction for 2012 2.2d Sport h/back. 145k miles but won it for £1420. Says full service history and recently had the timing chain replaced. Going to get a mechanic to look over it before I pay for it.
That sounds like a potential bargain!
Mechanic has checked it over this afternoon and said he can't see any issues with it. Even if it gives me a couple of years service, I'll be delighted! Going to pick it up tomorrow. Already looking into replacing the head unit with something including android auto, but a proper branded one like pioneer or Sony rather than an android-based one.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Decided to give the Galaxy some gummi-pflege as it has been cold. So, I'm doing this in the dark, because big brain!

Nothing seems to be coming out, so I squeeze the bottle a bit harder and out pops the brush thingy and half the bottle pours out over the nearside door soaking the handle, window switches, speaker grille and pocket :oops:

Cue much swearing and cleaning.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I fitted new front sidelights, headlights and indicators to the Defender. Roughly £50 for all that which is nice.

The TT decided to not start tonight, I suspect the coolant temp sensor as it reeks of fuel but eventually fired, from memory this is a common problem on the 1.8T engine.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:24 pm Decided to give the Galaxy some gummi-pflege as it has been cold. So, I'm doing this in the dark, because big brain!

Nothing seems to be coming out, so I squeeze the bottle a bit harder and out pops the brush thingy and half the bottle pours out over the nearside door soaking the handle, window switches, speaker grille and pocket :oops:

Cue much swearing and cleaning.
I'd take the piss, but I araldited the 'inside' drivers side lens on the rear lamps back on tonight.

In the dark. And fog.

But hey, araldite is magic, I'm sure an application in the cold and damp won't be a problem.

Holding up fine so far:
mik

Post by mik »

Getting things n stuff out of the Evora boot yesterday, the internal boot lights flickered and went out. :?

They were back on later.

And non-working again tonight.

Checked forum - found problem - power comes from the latch switch via a spade connector that works its way loose over time.

Accessed it by popping a couple of clips on the boot “pad”.

Someone (either the factory or original owner) has stuck a bit of tape on this, so I assume it has happened before.

Sorted in 2 minutes. 😎

Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 pm I think that’s the same gearbox as the 645, felt like night and day difference when I changed it last year. I joked that it I were blindfolded it would feel no different to a Rolls Royce around town to which I was told that it’s the same box :lol:
Can I ask where you got it done, Mito? And how much did it cost? I need to do the 650i's really so doing some looking about. Definitely not going to attempt it myself; I'd fvck that right up.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Alex88 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 pm I think that’s the same gearbox as the 645, felt like night and day difference when I changed it last year. I joked that it I were blindfolded it would feel no different to a Rolls Royce around town to which I was told that it’s the same box :lol:
Can I ask where you got it done, Mito? And how much did it cost? I need to do the 650i's really so doing some looking about. Definitely not going to attempt it myself; I'd fvck that right up.
I took it to JAC in Hythe, £300 iirc.
It was done only 12 months before at another independent in Ashford by my dad, not sure exactly who they were but I think they used the incorrect oil or a cheap one as it shifted worse to the point where the occasional 2-1 gearchange was so bad that I thought I’d been hit from behind.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The 2-1 thump is common and as far as I can tell is due to the gearbox not adapting properly. The procedure I posted earlier refers to it specifically.

Anyway, for the record, I cheaped out and got 10l of Mannol oil & a pattern filter for £92 delivered next day. After 400 miles it seems to be fine but we shall see !!

The job is easy but messy so probably worth getting someone else to do it.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

KevH18 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:32 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 pm
KevH18 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Won an auction for 2012 2.2d Sport h/back. 145k miles but won it for £1420. Says full service history and recently had the timing chain replaced. Going to get a mechanic to look over it before I pay for it.
That sounds like a potential bargain!
Mechanic has checked it over this afternoon and said he can't see any issues with it. Even if it gives me a couple of years service, I'll be delighted! Going to pick it up tomorrow. Already looking into replacing the head unit with something including android auto, but a proper branded one like pioneer or Sony rather than an android-based one.
Picked it up last night. Seems like a really decent car. Nice steering, gearbox is lovely once it's warmed up a bit, got 54mpg on the way back and will sit at about 2krpm when doing 80. Quick enough for what I need to. Gave me a receipt for the receipt service and timing chain replacement with a 12-month warranty too.

Negatives -
Front discs need changing but the mechanic had said they probably would so bought a set of Brembo discs from ECP for 80 quid for the pair in their half price sale this morning. Another 40 quid for fitting on Saturday.
Interior needs a good clean, slight smell of dog and fags but I'm sure it'll come out with a bit of a scrub. Will also buy new some new mats.

Plans -
Doing one of Kwik Fits free tracking checks on Saturday to make sure it's fine (but if it does need anything, won't be taking it there after we found they'd left a track rod end nut loose on our Focus on Tuesday).
Tyres are Triangle brand so might replace them before next winter but they should be fine for the rest of this winter plus the summer.
Bose stereo sounds great Bluetooth is only voice activation so isn't the best to use. Will get a touchscreen headunit in it and probably add a reversing camera as the spoiler obscures the rear view a bit. Does have all-round sensors though.

Other than that, can't believe it only cost me £1420!
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]KevH18[/mention] 😊👍
Beany

Post by Beany »

KevH18 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 am Tyres are Triangle
I think generally they're best to be round.

Pics?

Edit: Also, any of the 2.2d lumps - regardless of spec - look like they remap nicely (anything from 170-210bhp and 300lb/ft+ depending on the base engine config - guessing they use different turbos, intercoolers, injectors, etc) so that's worth a look. Made the Mondeo significantly more usable.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Beany wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 am
KevH18 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 am Tyres are Triangle
I think generally they're best to be round.

Pics?

Edit: Also, any of the 2.2d lumps - regardless of spec - look like they remap nicely (anything from 170-210bhp and 300lb/ft+ depending on the base engine config - guessing they use different turbos, intercoolers, injectors, etc) so that's worth a look. Made the Mondeo significantly more usable.
Might be why it feels a bit bumpy!

It's a 180hp versions with it being the sport. Couple of quick searches show about 20hp extra but a nice amount more torque too.

I have one pic I've taken but no idea how to post it!
Beany

Post by Beany »

What you'll likely find with a decent remap is that the torque will come in earlier, and harder, so you'll have that, and it'll give it a bit more pep at the top end, so you'll have a wider powerband overall, which is nice.

For images I normally just upload to imgur and then copy the link and paste here surrounded by (img) tags (with square brackets, natch)
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Last edited by KevH18 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 am What you'll likely find with a decent remap is that the torque will come in earlier, and harder, so you'll have that, and it'll give it a bit more pep at the top end, so you'll have a wider powerband overall, which is nice.

For images I normally just upload to imgur and then copy the link and paste here surrounded by (img) tags (with square brackets, natch)
Most places will not remap high mileage cars, it's the first thing they've asked me in the past.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

I've enquired about a Celtic Tuning remap so I'll see how much that is. Anyone had any dealings with any of them? Look like franchises so likely to be different experiences at different garages I suppose
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'd be cautious about mapping a car you've just bought, especially at that mileage.

I'd run it for a few months first and see what it's like, service it, get rid of the ditch finders and then look at it.

I'd check and see how much a clutch and dmf replacement will be because I'd imagine they will be the first things to let go with a load more torque put through them at that mileage!
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Yeah, there's other things to sort out before getting it done to be honest. I could quickly double how much I've paid for it if I start doing things like that.

Our 1.6 ecoboost is probably a better candidate really. Get another 40-50bhp doing that. We've also done 57k of the 78k it's got on it so I know it's a good base. But I've had it for 4 years and haven't bothered yet.
Beany

Post by Beany »

KevH18 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm I've enquired about a Celtic Tuning remap so I'll see how much that is. Anyone had any dealings with any of them? Look like franchises so likely to be different experiences at different garages I suppose
Mondeo was a Celtic Tuning map and it was fine - man with a branded van, laptop and card machine. Drive before, remap, drive after, if you're happy, you pay, if not, you don't.

Gav, I'd guess it depends on how agressive the remap is - the mondeo was from 140 to 180bhp and 240 to 300lb/ft. Apparently their previous remap was more like 210/350lb/ft and DMFs didn't like it.

Probably want to give the car a going over before remapping - making sure the CVs are up to snuff, full service, being fairly sure the DMF and clutch aren't likely to slip, etc. If you get a 'side of the road' remap you might want to put some DC/motorway driving on your post map test drive too, so you can boot it in 4th/5th/6th and check for clutch slip and whatnot.

Obviously ideally you'd want to do a live remap on a rolling road etc but should I end up back in a turbo diesel again I'd be having a remap as one of the first things I'd want to do after generally giving the car a once over, honestly - but then I'm not known for my amazing life decisions ;)
JonathanE

Post by JonathanE »

Quick update on my fleet as requested by Mik:

- 1976 Mercedes 450SEL 6.9: fraudulently misrepresented by US seller, but my own stupid fault for not doing a PPI. Sold at a big loss (eliminating previous gain on the 1937 Lagonda :cry: )

- 1993 Bentley Turbo R: I sold it in early 2019 as I fancied a change, but I missed it. So it was replaced last Spring with...

- 1997 Bentley Turbo RT. Very similar to look at (apart from colour scheme: this one is black/black, as apparently ordered by Prince Jefri of Brunei) but much, much faster than the standard R. This was the run-out model and it has 590 lb/ft of torque which at the time was more than any other production car in the world (according to Autocar). It might weigh 2.2 tonnes but it feels astonishingly quick, even by Countach standards :o . It was temptingly priced at auction, but I'm not sure yet whether I will keep it as I would like a 1960s American car at some point soon (a Cadillac DeVille convertible would be nice) and garage space is limited.

The last member of the fleet isn't actually running yet, but my 1953 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith is finally nearing the end of its restoration. Full story here:

https://rrec.org.uk/storage/Documents/S ... vember.pdf

Cheers

Jonathan
Last edited by JonathanE on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.