Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:06 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm Thanks - I think I will go with the PS4S... is it necessary to slavishly adhere to the N rating stuff?
No - not unless you have a Porsche extended warranty and don't want to risk jeopardizing it. Otherwise there is no point buying tyres based on an decade old design on the basis that Porsche may (or may not) have specified some slight tweaks to the design to make it suit their purposes. The modern tyre is still going to outperform it.

For a mid-engined Boxster there is particularly no reason as you couldn't even argue that Porsche might have stipulated changes to try and cater for some peculiarity that the manufacturer wouldn't adapt for, i.e. the odd weight distribution of a 911, for example.
For the Boxster - which I've never driven, of course - I'll agree.

On my 996 (and I'm assuming by extension other 911s) I'm convinced some consideration needs to be given to the unusual weight distribution. Mine came with some ancient P-Zero on the front and mismatched Contis on the back so almost immediately I fitted a full set of Falken FK452 based on previous good experience with Falkens on a BMW and general good reviews of them. They gripped OK but the back of the car always felt "floaty" like the tyres were too soft and squirming around. Upping the pressures helped but made them wear quickly in the centres. After those I got a full set of N-rated Contis and the floatiness was completely gone. Later and in parallel to the Contis I got an extra set of rims for track use and fitted Federal 595RSR because I could get substantially different load ratings front/rear. 88 front and 97 rear. That seems to work (IMO, for me, not a driving god, etc.)
GG.

Post by GG. »

I would certainly agree with not dropping down to a lower load rating on the rear of a 911, yes. I didn't really consider that as all the 295 / 30 tyres I can see readily available are rated at 100Y. I guess the slightly narrower rears on the 996 C2s may open up options that are aimed more broadly than a 911 specifically or something exotic like Ferraris/Lambos which all have high load ratings (not aware of many other cars with 295 or wider tyres).
Nic

Post by Nic »

My Q7 has 295 width tyres all round :D
GG.

Post by GG. »

:lol: OK - standard fitment 295s
Nic

Post by Nic »

They are standard fit :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Fair enough!

That's an expensive set of boots :D
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nic wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:35 pm Touareg.
For some reason I was completely unaware you had this. Nice result with the geo. 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

A2 may have death rattle, need better weather to have a better listen/nose about. Arse, even if putting another engine will cost less than a 295 (N rated or otherwise).
Nic

Post by Nic »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:51 pm Fair enough!

That's an expensive set of boots :D
Not terrible, £550/600 a set.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

That's one thing I didn't check on my car is the tyres. It's not got any grip in this weather, might need to look at them.

I've got to say doing business with cars I am a people person so if they sound alright I'm happy. Fella I got this off had a swimming pool and a huge house in the middle of nowhere.

Good to have an engine that makes the right noise again.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Insurance renewal on the Evora sorted with Alex@Sky for £460 8-)

For some reason, all the companies that were dirt cheap on my old Elise (REIS, ClassicLine, Henderson Taylor, APlan) are mega money on the Evora, around the £1k mark :? yet the run-of-the-mill companies you find on sites like Confused.com that were totally uncompetitive on my Elise, are far cheaper on the Evora.

I'll never understand the insurance game.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Matty wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:02 am Insurance renewal on the Evora sorted with Alex@Sky for £460 8-)

For some reason, all the companies that were dirt cheap on my old Elise (REIS, ClassicLine, Henderson Taylor, APlan) are mega money on the Evora, around the £1k mark :? yet the run-of-the-mill companies you find on sites like Confused.com that were totally uncompetitive on my Elise, are far cheaper on the Evora.

I'll never understand the insurance game.
Possibly seen by insurance companies as gentlemanly grand tourer vs boy race track car, either that or loads of elises go missing
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Had to replace a brake light bulb on the Galaxy. It was pleasantly easy. Pull off a trim panel cover and unscrew two finger screws and the whole unit slides out. Then it is just a case of uncoupling the wiring connector and a single Philips head screw and the bulb is accessible.

Biggest issue is getting round the 3rd row seatbelt reel to reach the lower screw. Took less than five minutes start to finish.

Not replaced one of the bulbs in the front yet, and the radio misbehaved again, so Simon has kindly agreed to take a look again.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Today was mostly spent sliding around cones on loose surfaces. No trophies this time, due to lack of skill, basically. But it was massive fun.

The local car wash chaps earned their £7 after this. (photo was half way through the day - it got more covered than that)

Lots of surface like this, or muddier. Slippy.

And both front electric windows have suddenly stopped working at the same time. I'm wondering if it is moisture related as there was ice inside the car this morning (the dehumidifier bag didn't cope with that).
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

330i went in last week to have the front bumper tidied up. It had been hit a couple of years ago - just a low speed parking bump i think, which had deformed the sharp creases to the left of the number plate. Wasn't that obvious so I left it but over time it started to lose paint. Along with the usual age related stone chip rash, which had got fairly bad, it just meant it was looking a bit scruffy from within 6ft or so.

I assumed it would be a new bumper skin job but no - they reckoned it was repairable to as good as new. Pretty chuffed with the end results I must say.

The only thing is those chromed bolt heads showing under each side near the splitters. I've never looked that closely before but they should be black - looks that way looking at realoem
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:D (apart from the windows :( ).
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

16vCento wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am Just ordered 4 Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2s for fitting to the Peugeot on Wednesday, £314.96 fitted including tracking at ATS via Blackcircles, 40 quid off if you buy 4 today as well.

Will see if they are as good as the Crossclimates on the Volvo if we do get any bad weather!
300 or so miles gone on them and they seem to have a lot more initial response on turn-in in the wet than Crossclimates do, also more outright grip in the wet both cornering and braking.

Not had a chance to see what they're like in the dry yet as the weather's shit.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 pm The local car wash chaps earned their £7 after this. (photo was half way through the day - it got more covered than that)
Did you see the Vectra ? That was properly caked !
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 am
JonMad wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 pm The local car wash chaps earned their £7 after this. (photo was half way through the day - it got more covered than that)
Did you see the Vectra ? That was properly caked !
I did :lol:
The Scoobies were too. One of them had a spoiler caked in mud plus plenty on the roof.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

JonMad wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 pm

And both front electric windows have suddenly stopped working at the same time. I'm wondering if it is moisture related as there was ice inside the car this morning (the dehumidifier bag didn't cope with that).
:?

I spent a happy couple of hours replacing the regulator on the Compact yesterday - the cable had made an ominous graunching sound as the window went up Thursday morning and decided it was staying firmly shut

Having done stuff in the cold before I warmed everything with a hot air gun to avoid snapping cold plastic clips etc

Had to cut the cables to drop the glass as it was well-spiralled up

Got an OEM one as some of the cheaper Ebay ones don’t fit the later Compact which doesn’t use glass bolts