Your fleet running reports

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jobbo »

You're lucky a hipster didn't buy it for £300 to play their tapes.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Must resist temptation to photoshop that...

(great find!)
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Maurice wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 pm

If you ever see a Doom Blue Exige with a “Powered by Fairy Dust” sticker
I really want this to be true.
GG.

Post by GG. »

GG. wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 pm With impeccable timing (Friday night, just starting to pee down) the passenger side window regulator let go. Worse than that, it seems to have eaten the cable and jammed itself fast halfway down.

Cue an emergency trip down to nine excellence this morning. At least I got to drool over their showroom...
Window regulator has been fixed.

Whilst it was there I asked them to investigate what I felt was a rough idle and hesitation at low revs. I think its been running slightly rough for some time and although the dyno run we did at SRR could have been simply normal variance (I think all 996s and 997s (except Kin's GT3 annoyingly :lol: )) commonly come in under stated figures) it was noted that he thought there was a 'slight misfire'.

So, the indy has said they too feel the hesitation and rough idle but the engine isn't throwing any codes so, and I quote "at this point we can’t really tell which part to try first". Clearly not too helpful as I don't want to start randomly throwing parts at the car. I thought previously that it was likely to be coils but these were replaced with no lasting improvement.

Apparently the cam solenoids make a different in operation but that doesn't rule out that one of them doesn't operate fully, o2 sensors apparently generally cause codes or would be slow to react and it could be the MAF but "it would be a bit of a guess".

So... what would the forum do?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Did the plot from SRR show anything odd in its shape ? One time mine showed a very clear dip from about 6krpm which turned out to be a flap in the inlet manifold. Different issue to yours of course but your plot might hold some clues.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 pm
GG. wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 pm With impeccable timing (Friday night, just starting to pee down) the passenger side window regulator let go. Worse than that, it seems to have eaten the cable and jammed itself fast halfway down.

Cue an emergency trip down to nine excellence this morning. At least I got to drool over their showroom...
Window regulator has been fixed.

Whilst it was there I asked them to investigate what I felt was a rough idle and hesitation at low revs. I think its been running slightly rough for some time and although the dyno run we did at SRR could have been simply normal variance (I think all 996s and 997s (except Kin's GT3 annoyingly :lol: )) commonly come in under stated figures) it was noted that he thought there was a 'slight misfire'.

So, the indy has said they too feel the hesitation and rough idle but the engine isn't throwing any codes so, and I quote "at this point we can’t really tell which part to try first". Clearly not too helpful as I don't want to start randomly throwing parts at the car. I thought previously that it was likely to be coils but these were replaced with no lasting improvement.

Apparently the cam solenoids make a different in operation but that doesn't rule out that one of them doesn't operate fully, o2 sensors apparently generally cause codes or would be slow to react and it could be the MAF but "it would be a bit of a guess".

So... what would the forum do?

I'd be looking at live data
GG.

Post by GG. »

It has a slight dip at around 2600-2800 rpm but I think that's already above the level at which I feel the hesitation. Graph doesn't go down much below 2500 so not that helpful. Overall the curves look pretty smooth so nothing jumps out :?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

MAFs are treated as service items by 911 nerds still ?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Remap it, get the few lost donkeys back and some more :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nathan wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:36 pm MAFs are treated as service items by 911 nerds still ?
What, you mean you can't just polish them? :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:16 pm Wrongly listed on ebay as a cassette player. £15 delivered 8-)
:D 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Beany[/mention] You can't polish a nerd, but you can role them in twitter.
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 pm @Beany You can't polish a nerd, but you can role them in twitter.
I've been permanently banned for dropping the c-bomb, so I can't test this hypothesis.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Matty wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 pm What's the risk of damage? Is it the kind of thing more designed for cars you're not fussed about in terms of damage and/or those with higher ground clearance?
Sorry, forgot to get back to you on this !

The risk of serious write-off-the-car type damage is minimal I'd say but scuffs & scratches and maybe the odd ding are highly likely, as well as the car just getting generally mucky inside & out. Some sensible ground clearance is needed, but that will vary significantly with the venue. The event at Finmere a few weeks back was on an old airfield and pretty flat except one very short section. Rushmoor last week had a couple of sections through the woods that were getting quite rutted by the end of the day. Jon has some hefty skid plates on his car and it sounded like they were doing their job. My Compact doesn't have any and (touch wood) I've not wrecked anything so far.

Some of the bigger events elsewhere in the country are more severe and close to what you'd see on a stage rally. So really, it's as tough as you want it to be. Just pick an appropriate event.

As for the actual cars, small FWD seems to be the best bet for winning stuff. From Rushmoor last week, the top ten overall were:

1 Nissan Micra
2 Peugeot 106 Rallye
3 Ford Puma
4 BMW 318is
5 Nissan Micra
6 Peugeot 106
7 Peugeot 206 RC
8 Skoda Fabia (JonMad !)
9 MG ZR
10 Nissan Micra

(1 & 5 are the same car, double-driven by a husband & wife)
(2 & 3 are the same team, both navigating for each other)

Targas are run under road rally regs which means they can't exceed an average speed of 30mph and the courses will be laid out such that nobody will be able to beat that. You'll get the odd quick blast and maybe get into third gear but the wiggly-wiggly bits will keep the average for the stage down. So it's absolutely not about power. 100-150bhp is more than you can use most of the time. Having a well set up car helps of course but it's mostly down to skill - the Puma in 3rd place above is virtually standard, the driver just has decades of experience and is bloody good at it !!

Autosolos are a lot more gentle. I used my 996 a lot and I've seen a few other Porsches, Lotuses, Caterfields, etc. You might hit a cone but that's about the worst that could happen.

Anyone who's interested in this kind of thing should find their local club and either go along to a club night or spectate at an event. People are always friendly and ALWAYS happy to talk about cars & driving. Take it from there :D
scotta

Post by scotta »

Beany wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 pm
mik wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 pm @Beany You can't polish a nerd, but you can role them in twitter.
I've been permanently banned for dropping the c-bomb, so I can't test this hypothesis.
Oh dear...Who were you calling a cvnt this time?
Beany

Post by Beany »

scotta wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 am
Beany wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 pm
Oh dear...Who were you calling a cvnt this time?
Some cunt, obviously. I don't just throw it around without reason, even if that reason is just 'because they're a prick and they asked for it'. :)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ok so, they've now done a more thorough investigation of the car with someone driving and a second tech watching the live data. When the hesitation happens the car does apparently occasionally log a single misfire. I'm weirdly happy about this as it means I'm not going fucking mad!

Sadly it hasn't really helped identify what the issue is - it was on different cylinders each time it happened and across both banks. On that basis it not likely to be cam solenoids unless both are at fault. Fuel pressure requested and actual fuel pressure matched up so not a HPFP issue.

They think its unlikely to be a MAF issue and questioned whether I run it on SUL (I'm trying not to be offended :lol: ) and suggest give it a good run out if its a city car. Thing is I don't lug it around and change gear at 2500rpm so I don't really think that's going to help much.

Perhaps it is carbon buildup on the valves - I may get a borescope done the next time its in for plugs and see if the heads need to come off to be cleaned.

Bit frustrating really.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

How are your coil packs?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Changed them last year when it was in for a major service as I that was my first guess at what was causing the problem. :(

I'd also guess that as it is happening across random cylinders on both banks it has to be something that would affect running more generally rather than a part (i.e. injector, plug, etc) for which each cylinder has its own.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

After the weekend I had flap envy :(

So today I finally did something about it - I now have huge flaps 8-)

They're not just for teh lolz, although not compulsory for the stuff I do, I figured I may as well make them compliant with rally regs just in case.

48.1.12. "The fitting of mud flaps of a flexible material of 4mm minimum thickness behind each wheel extending to a minimum of 40mm each side of the tyre tread and to within 80mm of the ground when the car is unoccupied is mandatory."

FWIW the zip ties are deliberate, they're sacrificial, so that if my flaps ever get caught on something, the tie will give way first rather than ripping a hole in my bodywork.

IMG_1472.jpg
IMG_1472.jpg (112.8 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
IMG_1473.jpg
IMG_1473.jpg (125.96 KiB) Viewed 2004 times