Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

It really is superb fun. More people should get into stuff like this.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Once I get back on my feet financially, I quite fancy it. Cheap wee hatchback sensible safety gear, go hooning for sport.

Anyway, some mayo on the rad cap, guessing I've just not done enough long runs lately. An oil change and a good thrash over to hull and back come the end of the month (and some shoes without holes in the soles to walk to work in! :lol:) should solve that problem.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm It really is superb fun. More people should get into stuff like this.
What's the risk of damage? Is it the kind of thing more designed for cars you're not fussed about in terms of damage and/or those with higher ground clearance?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Matty wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm It really is superb fun. More people should get into stuff like this.
What's the risk of damage? Is it the kind of thing more designed for cars you're not fussed about in terms of damage and/or those with higher ground clearance?
That's basically the position I'm taking - something cheap that if it gets banged about a bit, as long as it still looks reasonably presentable then that's fine. Autosolos - just tyre wear, you might get cone rash if you mess it up. Targas - ground clearance seems to help - I have a sump guard and a tank guard, Steve's BMW doesn't. I also have a roll cage. We both have harnesses and buckets but plenty of cars are basically standard. Risk of damage is low, I'd say - I certainly wouldn't expect to damage the car, but different events have different terrain to deal with. Saying that, it won't take much to slide into a kerb or bush if the surface is slipper than you expect or you misjudge something or catch a rut - or kiss a tree, as someone did and ended up carrying on with some bits at the front of their car cable tied together (it looked minor, Steve may be able to explain what they actually bent).
Left over crest; tightens.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ordered a pedal for the merc from euro car parts, not the febi or hella I would have ordered from elsewhere but was £59 cheaper and would be there Monday morning.

Go to fit it and find it's a completely different shape where it tucks under the dash. It's the only one they list and all the numbers on it tie up with their system.

I did look at being a pikey and swapping the tps sensors over but seems they're glued in and didn't want to be left with a broken car and a part I couldn't return.

Another one ordered from the internets and should be here in a day or two.

The amount for sale both new and used would suggest it's not an uncommon issue.
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Son got his car yesterday - silver, 3-door, petrol Polo (0-60: 12s :lol: ). 2 owners with 21000 miles, full VWSH and an 70-odd yo OCD engineer as current owner. You should see the file he gave me with everything hole punched, reinforced, tabbed etc - don’t think I did this much work on a school report! #winning He even gifted Ben a scraper, leather covered sponge thing, high vis jacket. Lovely gentleman.

1st cars have come on a lot - a/c; heated, elec side mirrors; Bluetooth.

I had to pick it up near Richmond, in the rain, and I’ve not driven a manual in 7 years... :? Actually a good car; small, nimble, pokey enough. No satnav though, so bought him a vent attacher for his phone and charger. Also filled it up, got him to check the tyre pressures and bought him some P plates. He’s stressing about his bank balance being so empty; he has a lot to learn about cars! :lol:
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:31 am some P plates
Do you really think they're a good idea? Surely they just mark him out as a target for aggressive drivers?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Really? I'm cynical of the state of society but surely people don't harass new drivers to gain an advantage in traffic, etc.?
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I know I give extra time and space to P plates; he can always remove them if he’s getting hassled, but I think it’s a good idea.
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 am Really? I'm cynical of the state of society but surely people don't harass new drivers to gain an advantage in traffic, etc.?
If aggressive drivers don't hassle other drivers then P plates are not required at all. I think they're a very odd thing to attach to your car.
GG.

Post by GG. »

People do get impatient with hesitant or dilatory drivers - you seem to be suggesting that they'd be more so if you put P plates on.

I agree that certain people may not pay attention to them or still become impatient but for a significant number or normal people it would likely encourage them to be more tolerant.

I would think on balance worth having them if you're not a confident driver but agree for most 17 year olds its probably more of an early warning of impending accident - "watch this!!!" :lol:
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I think, generally, the vast majority of drivers are considerate to others, and they will give extra consideration to a car displaying P plates. If you think most drivers are cunts, then yes, you’d be right! :lol:

What would you do Jobbo if you saw a car with P plates; be more considerate ie wary, be the same as with other drivers, or more aggressive?
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

Interestingly its mandatory to put "R" (for restricted) plates on your car in NI for a year after passing.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:55 am What would you do Jobbo if you saw a car with P plates; be more considerate ie wary, be the same as with other drivers, or more aggressive?
Take any opportunity to get past safely because I know they'll stick to the speed limits :lol:

If I saw a car with 'Princess on board' I'd do the same. I think P plates are bizarre, personally. You've got a full licence, there's nothing compelling you to identify yourself as having passed your test recently, so why would you fit them? When do you take them off; after a week? A month? A year?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:01 pm Interestingly its mandatory to put "R" (for restricted) plates on your car in NI for a year after passing.
That's because they also cannot exceed 45mph for that year. So the plate marks not someone who has recently passed their test so much as someone who is restricted to a particularly low speed limit.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:11 pm
If I saw a car with 'Princess on board' I'd do the same. I think P plates are bizarre, personally. You've got a full licence, there's nothing compelling you to identify yourself as having passed your test recently, so why would you fit them? When do you take them off; after a week? A month? A year?
If you ever see a Doom Blue Exige with a “Powered by Fairy Dust” sticker and headlight eyelashes, give me a wave.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

When I see a learner or recently passed driver approaching I will be slightly more aggressive when pulling out of a junction (not dangerous though) because I don’t have all day to sit behind someone going half the speed limit. If following or beside them on a roundabout I’ll give them extra space.
That said the whole P thing is a bit silly, if you pass your test then your driving skills are deemed to meet the national standard so you shouldn’t need to have sticker pointing out that you’ve recently passed. They almost always seem to be on cars where the drivers lack confidence and I can’t help but think they should go on a further advanced course if they still lack it by that point.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Niche accessory update - I’ve put a Minidisc player in the MINI.

I now need to find my old minidiscs !

DDC88D79-39D3-447B-9E3D-E941CE567FC5.jpeg
DDC88D79-39D3-447B-9E3D-E941CE567FC5.jpeg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Christ, that must have been a bit of a rare find Steve :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Wrongly listed on ebay as a cassette player. £15 delivered 8-)