Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 pm Silicon pad / gummi pflege
It's not the rubbers it's the felt strip at the bottom of the window. Can't see an additive doing much to that without leaving a horrible smeary mess everywhere every time you move the window, plus the window doesn't drop far enough to be able to get to most of it.

Don't really like using de-icer, prefer dry scraping, but will have to get a can to keep in the house to squirt the bottom of the window before attempting to get in
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:10 pm Don't really like using de-icer, prefer dry scraping...
(ignoring the requote...)

Same here. The one nice thing about the winter and scraping the windows every morning is that they end up nice and clean.

Compact update - a nice bit of bodging today. I decided to put a radio back in so that I can get some Radio 4 between tests. Not very RACE CAR I know. Meh.

I connected up the radio but reception was awful. Eventually realised that when I stripped out the loom for the rear speakers earlier in the year (because RACE CAR) it included the power to the aerial amplifier in the boot. D'oh. How can I get power to the back of the car ?

I tapped into the tail lights :shock:

So if I want CD or aux it all works fine, but if I want radio I have to put the sidelights on :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm The 5 is in for a service and has a broken rear spring. Will it be covered under warranty ? They're going to call me back...
Provisionally yes. But if it's not, it's £600 to supply & fit two rear springs. F-that, if it's not covered it's a perfect excuse to put some Eibachs on.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:10 pm prefer dry scraping
Mrs :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 pm I tapped into the tail lights
You're no Roxanne.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Collected my car from the garage with new wheels, tyres and pads all round and went off on a run to bed in the pads.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:10 pm Don't really like using de-icer, prefer dry scraping...
(ignoring the requote...)

Same here. The one nice thing about the winter and scraping the windows every morning is that they end up nice and clean.

Compact update - a nice bit of bodging today. I decided to put a radio back in so that I can get some Heart between tests. Not very RACE CAR I know. Meh.

I connected up the radio but reception was awful. Eventually realised that when I stripped out the loom for the rear speakers earlier in the year (because RACE CAR) it included the power to the aerial amplifier in the boot. D'oh. How can I get power to the back of the car ?

I tapped into the tail lights :shock:

So if I want CD or aux it all works fine, but if I want radio I have to put the sidelights on :lol:
FTFY :lol:
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:51 pm
Compact update - a nice bit of bodging today. I decided to put a radio back in so that I can get some Radio 4 between tests. Not very RACE CAR I know. Meh.

[...]

:lol: I look forward to that. Have you printed a label ‘Sidelights on’ to go under ‘Traction control off’?
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oi. I was serious about R4 but suggesting I willingly listen to Heart is going too far. As I explained it was a bad photo :(

FWIW, here are the current contents of the CD changer in The Touareg. Yes, a CD changer that still works !

F37FC897-74D3-4B7F-B1E8-D2F687F42699.jpeg
F37FC897-74D3-4B7F-B1E8-D2F687F42699.jpeg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 pm Oi. I was serious about R4 but suggesting I willingly listen to Heart is going too far. As I explained it was a bad photo :(

FWIW, here are the current contents of the CD changer in The Touareg. Yes, a CD changer that still works !

:D
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 pm Oi. I was serious about R4 but suggesting I willingly listen to Heart is going too far. As I explained it was a bad photo :(

Probot - great album 8-)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

More exciting mito news..

Since fitting the coilovers I had noticed it starting to scrub the inside of the front tyres a little. During the week I made sure the trackrods weren't siezed and added a dash of toe in by eye to straighten out the wheels, and swapped the tyres front to back.

I decided that as I'm often messing around with suspension I'd buy something to help out. As I'm strictly DIY and on a tight budget, I bought a trackace kit. This one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0814333955

Now, I know it's only going to give a total figure, but I've always worked on the assumption that if I haven't removed the steering wheel and it's still straight when driving in a straight line, that any adjustment should be made equally to both sides. If the steering isn't centred I first adjust the side I need to to bring it back into line.

Anyway, once I'd figured out what I was doing, and found a suitable position for the laser and mirror which didn't hit the low hanging splash guard in front of the front wheels I found it gave repeatable results fairly quickly.

You set the laser up a set distance, square to the right wheel, calibrate a zero position using a mirror on the left wheel, then move the mirror to the right wheel to give the overall toe.

Here's the result

Close enough to the zero toe I was after for me 😂
Cheers, Harry
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Fucked a rim last night, over tired and with a chest infection, in the dark

Waze took down a new route through a width restriction with a tight left turn 20 feet afterwards, I pulled out to turn in easier and had not noticed the wonderful council had installed raised kerbs both sides after the restriction poles...
Join us, join the Teslarati!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Merc gearbox has been playing up again, with far more frequency and I'm the one getting serious grief about it :lol:

Persuaded a neighbour to take it to work and stick it on their posh snapon scanner, my cheap generic obd2 one couldn't find anything.

Handily, on the way there it started messing around again, struggling to pull away unless you absolutely bury the pedal.

Had a fault for throttle pedal potentiometer and gearbox control unit. Cleared them, checked live readout of the pedal which all seemed fine, checked codes again and the pedal one had returned.

Be handy if it is just the pedal getting confused and upsetting the gearbox, prank new hella one is £100.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 pm...trackace...
I have one too ! 8-)

It’s paid for itself many times over, not just in the cost of getting someone to do it for me, but also the convenience of being able to do it at home whenever I need it.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

That was my reasoning, a generic cheap check at a tyre place is £40 odd. With the number of cars and sets of tyres we get through it should soon pay for itself, especially as I insist on running stupid setups on my cars.
Cheers, Harry
GG.

Post by GG. »

With impeccable timing (Friday night, just starting to pee down) the passenger side window regulator let go. Worse than that, it seems to have eaten the cable and jammed itself fast halfway down.

Cue an emergency trip down to nine excellence this morning. At least I got to drool over their showroom...

I can’t believe I first saw a CGT fifteen years ago. Still no super car I’d rather have and this particular example has just come in after being tracked (owner also has an RS4.0). The GT2 RS looked like a monster, too :twisted: I believe this one was the Mik/Scott/Nef edition!

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

All sorted ? Should be an easy / common job.

I got The Touareg & trailer all loaded up today ready for the Rushmoor Targa tomorrow, then realised The Compact needed petrol. So I drove the whole rig down to Tesco to fill it up. Probably the least economical way of doing it :lol: but it’s a bit of trailering practice, including reversing it back into the driveway in the dark.

(without hitting anything, but it was pretty close)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I noticed that Kent council have started salting the roads, seems to be pure salt and not grit yet. Annoying.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:53 pm I noticed that Kent council have started salting the roads, seems to be pure salt and not grit yet. Annoying.
Isn't 'grit' just rock salt ?