Your fleet running reports

Jimmy Choo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Matty wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:30 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 pm Tedious car update

The mini failed its MOT on a knackered flexi pipe. I'd already had to change all four tyres and with a service, it's been a bit of a pricey month. On the plus side, it's in rude health. Now it's sorted, I'm planning what to spend my bonus on...
Jimmy this weekend:

I decline to comment as my ex wife can see what I post.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The TT passed but had an advisory on headlights, I sanded and polished them by hand a year ago but it faded quite quickly. A local place polished them to like brand new for £20 each so that will do for a while.

I think it’s around 158,000 miles now, I should treat it.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:56 pm
Matty wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:30 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 pm Tedious car update

The mini failed its MOT on a knackered flexi pipe. I'd already had to change all four tyres and with a service, it's been a bit of a pricey month. On the plus side, it's in rude health. Now it's sorted, I'm planning what to spend my bonus on...
Jimmy this weekend:

I decline to comment as my ex wife can see what I post.
You don't have the skin tone for a gold chain anyway.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
evostick

Post by evostick »

Put some new break pads on the subaru and wondered if the mot was due. Turns out it was a couple of months back. Passed yesterday with no advisories. Still haven't had a bill for the head gasket/gearbox/cambelt but I gave the garage some donuts and a broken golf so I'm hoping that we have an understanding.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Up GTi....UPdate.

Still not convinced. Maybe my expectations were inflated due to EVO's ratings, and some Twitter people like Autopap and Jackal bigging them up, but it's not working for me. From a practical standpoint, it makes alot of sense for a daily (small, economical, plenty quick enough) but it's not tickling my fun biscuits. The seats are my biggest issue, but there are lots of little issues too - some of which I think I could fix with mods, others not - but with almost 2 years left on the warranty, it's not a very sensible thing to do. Oh well.

In other news, at least the Evora is continues to be mutherfucking awesome. It's very closely behind the 147GTA as the best car I've ever owned.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Matty wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:45 pm Up GTi....UPdate.

Still not convinced. Maybe my expectations were inflated due to EVO's ratings, and some Twitter people like Autopap and Jackal bigging them up, but it's not working for me. From a practical standpoint, it makes alot of sense for a daily (small, economical, plenty quick enough) but it's not tickling my fun biscuits. The seats are my biggest issue, but there are lots of little issues too - some of which I think I could fix with mods, others not - but with almost 2 years left on the warranty, it's not a very sensible thing to do. Oh well.

In other news, at least the Evora is continues to be mutherfucking awesome. It's very closely behind the 147GTA as the best car I've ever owned.
How bad can the seats be for the top of the range Up ?

Some seats are better than others but I've not been in a car with "issue" seats for over a decade. Even the likes of MG have modern supportive seats even for a 20 stoner :D
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've test driven a 5dr up GTi and the seats feel exactly the same as my friends 60hp base spec up.

It felt like a well made, decent car, but so does the 60hp one, not special enough for me, which is a shame as I I really wanted to like it.

New Swift Sport is next on list to try, if no good i'll have to go bigger and older and get a V40 T5 and give up on modern small fun cars.

On a more fun note, next January I should be able to get another shonky old Porsche with rusty sills 8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matt, your Up experience sounds like my Puma experience. No matter how you cut it, it’s just a particularly good example of a shopping car.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Did you notice the seats on the test drive or are they only bad after a bit of time in them?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 am

Did you notice the seats on the test drive or are they only bad after a bit of time in them?
This is the comment from Rich that I was waiting for :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Surely it’s a fair point?! 😃
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 am Matt, your Up experience sounds like my Puma experience. No matter how you cut it, it’s just a particularly good example of a shopping car.
And in a way, my MX5 experience. My favoured solution is a 200bhp Caterham Matt
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I don’t like the seats in my 5, they seemed OK on an initial 20 min drive but after ~1 hour they’re a bit aggravating. Every other BMW I’ve owned has been extremely comfortable.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:00 am I don’t like the seats in my 5, they seemed OK on an initial 20 min drive but after ~1 hour they’re a bit aggravating.
I understand your headrest issue a bit more now, our F31 headrests are a good 2 inches further forward than the ones in my e92. They’re both fine for me, but if I had better posture I could see them being irritating.
Beany

Post by Beany »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:55 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 am Matt, your Up experience sounds like my Puma experience. No matter how you cut it, it’s just a particularly good example of a shopping car.
And in a way, my MX5 experience. My favoured solution is a 200bhp Caterham Matt
I have been known to take the mick out of Simon for his Puma experience, but to be fair I felt the same about the Mk2 MX5 1.8 I drove. There wasn't any zing there for me.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

[mention]Rich B[/mention] I never usually bother test driving cars TBH. I need at least a week to settle in before I can decide if I like a car or not...so I just roll the dice. 80% of the time, it works every time.
The seats in the GTi are identical - except for the pattern - as the base car. They're not uncomfortable, but there's no support at all. Coming from the Evora and the lovely seats I had in the Bora, its really noticable.

[mention]speedingfine[/mention] I know I've mentioned this before, but as much as I love the idea of a Caterham, everytime I look at them, for the cost I struggle to see past the Elise. Still keep meaning to rent one for the weekend to see what the fuss is about.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

First frosty morning with the mito was not a success.

Frameless window was frozen along the bottom edge and did not drop. Door opened ok so was able to start and defrost the rest of the car, but the door wouldn't close because the window was in the way.

Not ideal at 5:30 am :lol:

Might start climbing in through the boot...

On the plus side, the Michelin PS4 were fine, no noticeable drop off in performance despite being just above freezing. Certainly not the zero grip, understeer into a ditch, firey death the rest of the world predicts the exact moment temperatures drop below 7c
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Silicon pad / gummi pflege
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

+1 for Gummi Pflege, I used it on the Mini and it worked a treat.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

The 5 is in for a service and has a broken rear spring. Will it be covered under warranty ? They're going to call me back...