dinny_g

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by dinny_g »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:07 pm
dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Is yours a 4-matic?

Oh, and Rev, what's the job?
Nope??? Was that supposed to be just 4matic???
Yes. All RWD Mercs do it a little bit (like my C Class) but the 4-matics do it a LOT, because the 4wd system required changes to the front suspension/steering geometry. There are rumours that things were improved with new front arms on facelift cars.
Oh right .. never felt it before and I’ve had s few RWD and 4-matics.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 pm Oh, and BMW have confirmed that we’re getting amplifier number 4 tomorrow. They don’t seem keen on diagnosing why they keep blowing :roll:
*Always* get a courtesy car - that way they have an incentive to give your car back.

This is from plenty of experience of BMW warranty work 😄
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes. All RWD Mercs do it a little bit (like my C Class) but the 4-matics do it a LOT, because the 4wd system required changes to the front suspension/steering geometry. There are rumours that things were improved with new front arms on facelift cars.
Oh right .. never felt it before and I’ve had s few RWD and 4-matics.
The Evora does it. Anti-Ackerman - it sounds awful though, so I deliberately never put full lock on when maneuvering. I refuse to believe that having the wheel/tyre almost snap back into position can be any good for the suspension components....
Matty

Post by Matty »

Sold the Bora though Gumtree to a trader up north. That website is...interesting. The fact that I can happily knock £500 off a car in a private sale, or splash £150 on a night out, and I'm scrabbling around dealing with "gve phne number plx" messages on a shitty website to get an extra £100 for an old car.

Up GTi musings:
- Doesn't have one touch windows. Thought that was standard on any car these days
- Binnicle doesn't light up on side lights, only main beam...annoying
- Lac of foot rest is more of a pain than I thought.
- The seats are poor, lacking side support, and more importantly, any lumbar support at all. They've gotta go...but I want something that looks OEM so might try some Polo GTi seats from eBay.
- The steering wheel cuts off the top of the speedo. After 20mph, what speed I'm doing is anyone's guess.

On more positive news, it's quite a rapid car cross country. Keep it on boost and that 150lbft from 2kRPM makes for decent progress!
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Matty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:25 pm Sold the Bora though Gumtree to a trader up north. That website is...interesting. The fact that I can happily knock £500 off a car in a private sale, or splash £150 on a night out, and I'm scrabbling around dealing with "gve phne number plx" messages on a shitty website to get an extra £100 for an old car.

Up GTi musings:
- Doesn't have one touch windows. Thought that was standard on any car these days
- The seats are poor, lacking side support, and more importantly, any lumbar support at all. They've gotta go...but I want something that looks OEM so might try some Polo GTi seats from eBay.
- The steering wheel cuts off the top of the speedo. After 20mph, what speed I'm doing is anyone's guess.

On more positive news, it's quite a rapid car cross country. Keep it on boost and that 150lbft from 2kRPM makes for decent progress!
I'd certainly agree about the one touch windows and iffy seats. The Cobra seats in the Milltek modified Up GTI are worth looking at. Overall I'm still chuffed at its ability to entertain whilst only really sipping petrol. :D
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm Oh, and Rev, what's the interview?
It’s first round face-to-face. I expect there to be at least one more round (if not two), assuming I don’t fuck it up.
Was this interview under caution with a solicitor present?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Cylinder head for the Galaxy hasn't been delivered yet, so swapping back is unlikely to happen tomorrow as planned.

We're now starting the third week of a two day job. Sigh...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:36 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm Oh, and Rev, what's the interview?
It’s first round face-to-face. I expect there to be at least one more round (if not two), assuming I don’t fuck it up.
Was this interview under caution with a solicitor present?
No comment.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty

Post by Matty »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:09 pm
Matty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:25 pm Sold the Bora though Gumtree to a trader up north. That website is...interesting. The fact that I can happily knock £500 off a car in a private sale, or splash £150 on a night out, and I'm scrabbling around dealing with "gve phne number plx" messages on a shitty website to get an extra £100 for an old car.

Up GTi musings:

I'd certainly agree about the one touch windows and iffy seats. The Cobra seats in the Milltek modified Up GTI are worth looking at. Overall I'm still chuffed at its ability to entertain whilst only really sipping petrol. :D
They are very nice....but they're too bucket-y, and I want something more OEM looking. I've tried to get below 40mpg on a run...not managed it yet. Are you running on Premium unleaded? Or regular old 95? I was mildly surprised to have the fuel pump click before I'd even managed to get £35's worth in :lol:

Also, I had no idea that the Up GTi made last years ECOTY. Didn't realise they'd liked it that much.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Matty wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Up GTi musings:

They are very nice....but they're too bucket-y, and I want something more OEM looking. I've tried to get below 40mpg on a run...not managed it yet. Are you running on Premium unleaded? Or regular old 95? I was mildly surprised to have the fuel pump click before I'd even managed to get £35's worth in :lol:

Also, I had no idea that the Up GTi made last years ECOTY. Didn't realise they'd liked it that much.
They’ve even got the Up GTi in the latest issue’s MEGA HOT HATCH TEST

Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Focii continues to perform faultlessly, still enjoying however new job with triple mileage (15-20k) making it a good excuse to change.

Surprisingly good residuals (9.6k through Evans) given I paid 14K~ for it almost 3 years ago minus Mountune add on :D Been offered a very well spec'd e220d for not a lot over trade (19k) but misses doesn't like it and I can't imagine it will be overly exciting.

Choices vary from a c250d, Golf GTD, Lexus 300h and BMW f31 330d, all similar monies. Latter makes obvious choice but past experiences with the n53 and shonky dealers replacing everything until it's fixed approach have put me off somewhat.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Is yours a 4-matic?

Oh, and Rev, what's the job?
The GLA45 did it on full lock, but not as bad as the c class vids on YouTube.
Join us, join the Teslarati!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mike1215 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 pm

They’ve even got the Up GTi in the latest issue’s MEGA HOT HATCH TEST

Is that full test available or could you scan it? (Pretty please)
Left over crest; tightens.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Up GTi musings:

We tried it on a couple of tanks of Shell V-Power but it made zero noticeable difference, so it has a 95 RON diet.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Shlergen wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm Focii continues to perform faultlessly, still enjoying however new job with triple mileage (15-20k) making it a good excuse to change.

Surprisingly good residuals (9.6k through Evans) given I paid 14K~ for it almost 3 years ago minus Mountune add on
What year ? Facelift?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 pm New coils fitted to 1 & 2 and all's well again. Smooth running values for cyl5 seem a little wild but a quick Google shows that to be quite common. I'll look into that further but it's otherwise running smooth. I might order another 4 coils tbh and just change them on cyls3-6 anyway now I know how quick it is to do.

Here's a comparison of old Bosch vs new Delphi

Bit of a difference.

Lastly, anyone any ideas why I might have a load of oil pooled in the well between the plugs for cyl1 & 2? Apart from a crap topping up job by you know who...

Aaaand the misfire is back. Just now on a quick trip up the road. Pulled over and as I tried to turn the PAS also went and then the dash lit up like it was an early Xmas. Twat.

I suspect it's the oil issue. Haven't had chance to check it but suspect it's leaked enough to now be causing issues again. Not sure why PAS cut out, but maybe required more load than the misfiring engine could deliver, and hence cut out.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 pm
Aaaand the misfire is back...
Cam cover gasket ?
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Nathan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:42 pm
Shlergen wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm Focii continues to perform faultlessly, still enjoying however new job with triple mileage (15-20k) making it a good excuse to change.

Surprisingly good residuals (9.6k through Evans) given I paid 14K~ for it almost 3 years ago minus Mountune add on
What year ? Facelift?
Nope pfl, 2013
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nathan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:54 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 pm
Aaaand the misfire is back...
Cam cover gasket ?
Aye, I suspect so. There was too much oil in other wells above the gasket line last time for me to be conclusive (some had absolutely been spilled from topping up), but I haven't yet had chance to have another look.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Gave my folks a lift down to collect their car which much to our surprise did exist and was all in a uniform colour :shock:
Had a look round, spent a few mins setting up phone to work and named the car Codface before leaving. You get 100 miles to point out any paint defects and it was raining so I’ll have a good look round it tomorrow for them.

Passengered in it for a short trip, it has comfy seats, like memory foam sculpted to a chair shape but doesn’t keep you in place well under hard cornering. The fake leather material is good but the steering wheel feels like plastic. Also rolls a surprising amount but it is pretty tall and the suspension is passive, upside is that it
has a pretty soft ride despite the low profile tyres. The BMW M3 beating lap times on YouTube must be purely due the crazy straight line acceleration. Parents both complaining afterwards that the breaks feel weird with no feeling but it doesn’t squeak or rattle and is pretty quiet inside. It’s perfect for commuting really.
How about not having a sig at all?