Your fleet running reports

Zonda_

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Zonda_ »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am Oh me too as it's always bothered me that I don't get it. Same result.
I have a receipt for £1400+Vat for replacing both clutches on mine, I have no idea why or how an auto has or uses clutches but the box is starting to behave oddly which is a financial worry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

My 7g box when repaired had a replacement "clutch pack", I always assumed each gear had it's own clutch, but TBH it might as well just be a bunch of tiny people crammed inside the casing changing gear for me for all I understand of it.
_andy

Post by _andy »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am Oh me too as it's always bothered me that I don't get it. Same result.
Here you go, easy :?

Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

That's all very well and good but how does it know when to change gear? All very straightforward now when your iphone could probably control it but what about in the 1960s when people were sticking these into American hot rods?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:16 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:43 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm Getting rid of the car cover now as I think it has put one or two tiny scratches in the paintwork and the car now appears to be waterproof at last.

Is the Boxster’s electronic oil level sensor thingumty just incredibly inaccurate? Sometimes it reads bang on the middle and others it reads low. I am not sure which to believe.

Otherwise it put in flawless service on some exceptionally narrow roads in Gloucester this weekend.
Update: the oil sensor was reading low because the oil was low. I have put in more oil.

How did you know for sure, does it also have a physical dipstick?
I don't but I am working on the oil level now being in the normal range having added the prescribed 400ml of oil.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 pm That's all very well and good but how does it know when to change gear? All very straightforward now when your iphone could probably control it but what about in the 1960s when people were sticking these into American hot rods?
To be fair, back then they probably only had two or three speeds which limited the amount of 'thinking' needed, it was probably entirely speed based with a kickdown switch to knock it back to lowas long as you were under a certain speed.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Was looking around google maps last night and found an interesting looking road quite nearby - Klausenstrasse. So headed off this morning in search of it as a more scenic route to Lucerne which didn’t disappoint
Got lucky with the traffic as there was hardly any bar the odd Harley going awkwardly slowly round the tighter bends - in fact you can see one in the picture if you squint. Harley’s are the most popular bikes around these mountain roads which is odd as everything I’ve read about them says they’re shit but they all jump out the way to let you through.

Wheels and car colour doing a good job of hiding all the dirt. Took this picture at 2000 metres altitude according to my phone.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Discovered last night the Fabia's MOT expires in 3 and a bit weeks, which is about 6 weeks earlier than I thought it was. Head says it will be fine as it's only done 1700 miles since the last MOT (700 of which in my care), it passed the last one with no advisories, and I've not changed anything mechanical on it, or really given it any grief that would have broken anything. Heart says I have no idea how subjective MOT testers are w.r.t. competition car MOT rules so they may call out all sorts of stuff that passed last time, elsewhere. Will take it to my local chap who MOTs the other two cars. Have chatted to him about it a while ago and he was relaxed about it, but he's never seen the car before.

tl/dr, hopefully worrying over nothing.

Whether his delivery/collect driver can fit in the searts/harnesses, that's his problem. Apparently he's a big chap.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 am tl/dr, hopefully worrying over nothing.
That one. Cars seem to be better than they used to, it's absolutely ages since I've had a car fail on anything serious.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Also if it fails, just fix it and move on. It's just a car.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 pm Was looking around google maps last night and found an interesting looking road quite nearby - Klausenstrasse. So headed off this morning in search of it as a more scenic route to Lucerne which didn’t disappoint
Got lucky with the traffic as there was hardly any bar the odd Harley going awkwardly slowly round the tighter bends - in fact you can see one in the picture if you squint. Harley’s are the most popular bikes around these mountain roads which is odd as everything I’ve read about them says they’re shit but they all jump out the way to let you through.

Wheels and car colour doing a good job of hiding all the dirt. Took this picture at 2000 metres altitude according to my phone.
Nice 😎👍
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We did the klaussen pass as part of our old evoforum euro trip around 2002. I remember it being very strange, you climb for ages, then drop down into a long open valley floor before back into another set of twisties. The car end used with the tunnels used to be used for hilclimbs back in the 30s.

Although my description kind of depends which end you start at 😂
Cheers, Harry
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 pm Image
What's the space like in the rear seats of the 6 series? Comfortable for adults? Is it a dark pit? My 6 year old is getting car sick in the back of the Mini, probably because is a tiny dark pit.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 am
What's the space like in the rear seats of the 6 series? Comfortable for adults? Is it a dark pit? My 6 year old is getting car sick in the back of the Mini, probably because is a tiny dark pit.

Are they playing with an iPad or iPhone? If they are it’s one of the worst things for setting kids off with car sickness
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 am
It’s not bad for a coupe as it has pretty decent headroom and large windows in the back. The limiting factor is legroom and that entirely depends on the seat position of the driver and passenger. I’m 6’2” and you won’t get any legs fitting behind my seat but it’s entirely feasible to get an adult/s in the back if you have shorter people up front.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Today was my last day in Switzerland so to head towards Italy I wanted to take the Stelvio pass but parts of it are closed so I had to make do with the San Bernadino pass instead and my god it didn’t leave me feeling short changed. Perfect wide roads with great visibility and no other traffic meant I could really get the tyres hot and smelly 8-)
I never get pictures of the twisty hairpin roads as it’s too difficult to make yourself stop driving when it’s this good.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:06 pm Are they playing with an iPad or iPhone? If they are it’s one of the worst things for setting kids off with car sickness
Nope. He's not on a screen. I try to keep his head out of the car with games like "yellow car", "Pub cricket" and "Dont you dare puke in my car again!" but he still gets nauseous. I might have to try the wristbands.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 pm Today was my last day in Switzerland so to head towards Italy I wanted to take the Stelvio pass but parts of it are closed so I had to make do with the San Bernadino pass instead and my god it didn’t leave me feeling short changed. Perfect wide roads with great visibility and no other traffic meant I could really get the tyres hot and smelly 8-)
I never get pictures of the twisty hairpin roads as it’s too difficult to make yourself stop driving when it’s this good.
its great fun isn’t it, my favourite round there was the ofenpass. Fast and flowy with perfect road surface and not just endless hairpins. It helped that I went in October when the roads were clear of cyclists and summer tourists.
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 pm I never get pictures of the twisty hairpin roads as it’s too difficult to make yourself stop driving when it’s this good.
This is my problem every time we go up North. You drive past countless stunning photo opportunities, but there is no way you are going to stop when you are in the groove.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The second to last picture was quite stressful, I climbed up the hill to get the photos and then saw a caravan approaching about 600 metres away so I had to do a Le Mans style sprint back down to the car to stay ahead :lol:

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that is supposedly frequented by Ferrari mechanics and F1 drivers when they get together in Maranello? I think it’s Cavallino but that one claims to be the one which Enzo Ferrari ate at :?: