Your fleet running reports

Mito Man

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Mito Man »

scotta wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:02 am
integrale_evo wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:10 am Bp ultimate is the only stuff that made my e36 feel flat. In fact the only fuel I've used that made it feel noticibly different to anything else I've ever used.

99.9% of its fuel in the 120,000 miles of my ownership has been Tesco 99
i put 40k on the Golf R - Primarily ran on Tesco 99. Run perfectly fine. Thats what i run the M240i on as well.

We run the race car on V-Power but that's more a logistics decision as its easier to go to shell on the way to the circuit. Same with the elise when i take it on track.
I’ve said it before but V Power turns on my check engine light so Tesco 99 it is.
When in Scotland the X5 wouldn’t take diesel from must pumps including BP - it has a little metal flap which would block off the nozzle. It says no biodiesel on the flap so I can only assume Scottish diesel contains more biodiesel and have a different diameter nozzle. Only took Shell V Power diesel.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 am
speedingfine wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 am
Yes, I do need to tidy the garage 👍
Just as well the 7 has been a keeper - I'm not sure you'd squeeze in anything much bigger without some considerable re-organisation. :)
I thought Chris' garage looked quite tidy actually. I used to be able to fit a CLK into mine, but now the Fabia just fits, albeit that's allowing room either side and in front of it. Because kids/Coctco bulk buys.

Super unleaded, generally Shell, for me. Not the Yeti though, that gets whatever is nearest (still usually Shell).
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am
mik wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 am
speedingfine wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 am
Yes, I do need to tidy the garage 👍
Just as well the 7 has been a keeper - I'm not sure you'd squeeze in anything much bigger without some considerable re-organisation. :)
I thought Chris' garage looked quite tidy actually.
Me too. My comment was more that it's been organised to leave a 7-width space. The garage is certainly wide enough to accomodate something with rather greater girth (no sniggering at the back) - but not without some re-org.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Problem with V-Power is that by me it's about £1.45 a litre, significantly more than the £1.25ish that most other SUL's come in at, especially Tesco for their 99.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Matty wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 pm Problem with V-Power is that by me it's about £1.45 a litre, significantly more than the £1.25ish that most other SUL's come in at, especially Tesco for their 99.
Yep. Mainly why I stopped bothering. That said, it has historically been proven to aid keeping the engine nice and clean.

BP Ultimate's price sticks int he throat far more - it's something like £1.55 around here, a clear 10p or more than V Power. Even the 95 stuff is barely cheaper than V-Power. I've no idea how they stay in business.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm
Matty wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 pm Problem with V-Power is that by me it's about £1.45 a litre, significantly more than the £1.25ish that most other SUL's come in at, especially Tesco for their 99.
Yep. Mainly why I stopped bothering. That said, it has historically been proven to aid keeping the engine nice and clean.

BP Ultimate's price sticks int he throat far more - it's something like £1.55 around here, a clear 10p or more than V Power. Even the 95 stuff is barely cheaper than V-Power. I've no idea how they stay in business.
Here's why!
240PP wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Previous owner of my 987 S manuel advised me to only put 98 in and FFS don’t go near supermarket fuel. I’ve stuck with that and have no intention of changing.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I wasn't aware, but Confused.com do nearby petrol station prices, which is useful:

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/petrol-prices

You do need to register to see SUL or details of more than just your nearest, though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just know a few specific stations which are always the cheapest and avoid any on the services as they’re 20p per litre more.
The ones I don’t understand are the tiny privately owned local ones in villages. Ancient pumps with ancient fuel, again about 20p per litre more - went into one a few weeks ago as I just needed 3 litres for the i3 and regretted it instantly. The store stank of grease so much that I had to wash my clothes after going in for a minute to pay!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:37 pm I wasn't aware, but Confused.com do nearby petrol station prices, which is useful:

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/petrol-prices

You do need to register to see SUL or details of more than just your nearest, though.
www.petrolprices.com has done it for years.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 pm I just know a few specific stations which are always the cheapest and avoid any on the services as they’re 20p per litre more.
The ones I don’t understand are the tiny privately owned local ones in villages. Ancient pumps with ancient fuel, again about 20p per litre more - went into one a few weeks ago as I just needed 3 litres for the i3 and regretted it instantly. The store stank of grease so much that I had to wash my clothes after going in for a minute to pay!
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:35 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Here's why!
240PP wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Previous owner of my 987 S manuel advised me to only put 98 in and FFS don’t go near supermarket fuel. I’ve stuck with that and have no intention of changing.
I bow to the forum’s Porsche expert :roll:

Everyone has their own stories of what’s best, what to avoid. It’s the internet.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I used to exclusively go to Shell and use the loyalty card. Then they changed it to an app, which is another step so more hassle so I don’t bother using the loyalty scheme, and so I don’t bother exclusively going to Shell... 👍🏻
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m pretty sure they also reduced the points you get massively since they combined the regular card and the v power together but that was years ago.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Never noticed any difference on any vehicle in any country between different fuels, ever.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm Never noticed any difference on any vehicle in any country between different fuels, ever.
DYELC? :lol:

I'm sure I'd notice if I put diesel in a petrol tank or vice versa. But I agree, never noticed anything perceptible and never carried out controlled experiments.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm Never noticed any difference on any vehicle in any country between different fuels, ever.
Snap. But then have you ever bothered filling up with super if you already think you won't notice... (My position)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well I put super in the Audi and the bikes / quad but that's just for the warm and fuzzies really. Never noticed any difference whatsoever if only normal unleaded was available.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ll trot out my normal reply after being intrigued by this in the past.

Defender - Morrison’s diesel makes it smoke, all others do not, be ultimate diesel feels the same as diesel in the north of Norway during winter, I swear I get another 10hp, can’t explain it.

500e - runs happier on super despite being a fixed ignition timing curve. Hot idle and response equal on all super unleaded fuels, best fuel economy on V-power.

ML - no performance difference but best mileage on v-power. Never put ultimate through it as the cost is silly.

TT - loves all super unleaded equally, on normal it just feels a little flat but I have an inkling it has been mapped at some point in the past.

Agree on going to a busy petrol station as being quite important, all mine locally are busy though.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Petrol station? What's that?

You guys don't have a home fueling service? How quaint.
Barry

Post by Barry »

My DC2 was noticeably held back on 95RON, compared to SUL. Civic is mapped for 95 so that's all it gets. :lol:

Civic update: bought some of that carnuba wax stuff, figured it might at least look a bit nicer while I decide what to do about my car choice in general.